Resolved [1.5.5] Companions and nobles die in battles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.5.5.252341
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
The Checkbox concerns all birth and death mechanics, including death in battle. If you don't want companions to die, just disable it.
Once again - I'm not interested in turning off ALL the possibilities of death and birth - that's silly.
I am interested in disabling the stupid innovation of patch 1.5.5, which added death in battle.

Once again - I'm not interested in turning off ALL the possibilities of death and birth - that's silly.
I am interested in disabling the stupid innovation of patch 1.5.5, which added death in battle.

So, what you're saying is that you don't like that nobles and Companions die in battle ? Well, there is an easy solution for that too: Simply activate cheat mode, and press Ctrl + Alt + F4 at the start of every battle. This knocks out all enemies, and will prevent your Companions from dying 100% of the time, I guarantee it. In fact, it'll prevent anyone in your army from dying and will also help you win every single battle and war you're ever going to participate in. You'll rule Calradia in no time, and will never have any issues with Money, troops or companions whatsoever !

And maybe, just maybe, after doing this for a few hours, you will realize that erasing all the challenge from the game isn't actually fun, and that you shouldn't let your low frustration tolerance mislead you into trying to get the devs to change the game to your liking. If you can't handle Companions dying, this just might not be the right game for you.

So, what you're saying is that you don't like that nobles and Companions die in battle ? Well, there is an easy solution for that too: Simply activate cheat mode, and press Ctrl + Alt + F4 at the start of every battle. This knocks out all enemies, and will prevent your Companions from dying 100% of the time, I guarantee it. In fact, it'll prevent anyone in your army from dying and will also help you win every single battle and war you're ever going to participate in. You'll rule Calradia in no time, and will never have any issues with Money, troops or companions whatsoever !

And maybe, just maybe, after doing this for a few hours, you will realize that erasing all the challenge from the game isn't actually fun, and that you shouldn't let your low frustration tolerance mislead you into trying to get the devs to change the game to your liking. If you can't handle Companions dying, this just might not be the right game for you.

Enough already write this bull****.
We played Warband for 10 years without the death of companions and nobles in battles - and that was fine with everyone.
We played without death of companions and nobles in battles before patch 1.5.5.
The way it is implemented now is not a challenge - it is nonsense. The way it is implemented now makes the companions significantly weaker and more useless than regular soldiers. You cannot even equip a companion in the kind of armor that every cataphract has! Not to mention that if the cataphract armor were on sale, it would cost so much that 10,000 cataphracts could be hired with this money!

And there is no challenge whatsoever! You completely defeat the enemy, lose 50 people from an army of 2500 - and certainly among these 50 - either your companions, or your nobles - it's generally funny there - lost like 1, and the army decreased by 200 people at once - the entire detachment of this nobleman.
What is the challenge here? Nobles always get into the starting lineup of the battle - for some reason, their armor is no better than that of ordinary top warriors (and this is also nonsense) and therefore they have a higher chance of dying than an ordinary warrior!
And if I can separate my companions into a separate detachment, which simply, in fact, will no longer participate in the battle, but will stand on the sidelines throughout the battle - I cannot do this with the nobles. So it turns out nonsense - that there are almost no losses, but at the same time the army immediately loses hundreds of soldiers who evaporated due to the death of a nobleman.
What does your "knocks out all enemies" have to do with it?
You really didn't have enough brains to understand what I have described above point by point?

We played Warband for 10 years without the death of companions and nobles in battles - and that was fine with everyone.
The way it is implemented now is not a challenge - it is nonsense. The way it is implemented now makes the companions significantly weaker and more useless than regular soldiers. You cannot even equip a companion in the kind of armor that every cataphract has! Not to mention that if the cataphract armor were on sale, it would cost so much that 10,000 cataphracts could be hired with this money!

And there is no challenge whatsoever! You completely defeat the enemy, lose 50 people from an army of 2500 - and certainly among these 50 - either your companions, or your nobles - it's generally funny there - lost like 1, and the army decreased by 200 people at once - the entire detachment of this nobleman.
What is the challenge here? Nobles always get into the starting lineup of the battle - for some reason, their armor is no better than that of ordinary top warriors (and this is also nonsense) and therefore they have a higher chance of dying than an ordinary warrior!
And if I can separate my companions into a separate detachment, which simply, in fact, will no longer participate in the battle, but will stand on the sidelines throughout the battle - I cannot do this with the nobles. So it turns out nonsense - that there are almost no losses, but at the same time the army immediately loses hundreds of soldiers who evaporated due to the death of a nobleman.
You really didn't have enough brains to understand what I have described above point by point?

Yeah, I'd need like 20 brains to make sense of those mental gymnastics. You're just salty that your character, the nobles and your companions can no longer act as if they were super powerful champions in some moba, and you know it. If you absolutely have to have your power fantasy, reduce damage to yourself and to nobles to 1/3, use cheat mode, or get yourself a mod that 'helps' with that. But don't try to drag the rest of us into it.

Yeah, I'd need like 20 brains to make sense of those mental gymnastics. You're just salty that your character, the nobles and your companions can no longer act as if they were super powerful champions in some moba, and you know it. If you absolutely have to have your power fantasy, reduce damage to yourself and to nobles to 1/3, use cheat mode, or get yourself a mod that 'helps' with that. But don't try to drag the rest of us into it.

OMG...Let's finish this pointless conversation - I got tired of explaining to the oak-headed man, who still did not understand anything from my explanations. I gave quite reasonable arguments, and you give me back thrusting this nonsense about cheating, 1/3 and other bull****.

I agree with everything you are saying. What I can't understand is why anyone would play unmodded with TWs adding and messing with barely tested mechanics that can affect your campaign and destroy any immersion you had. The second I saw a companion die in a battle that we easily won I reloaded the save got him and his troops back then installed and mod that disabled this rediculous death system for the time being.

There was also an older mod called true mortality on nexus, not sure if it still works on 1.5.5 but when it did work your companions had a chance to be critically wounded after falling in battle. It would tell you who was wounded and that they would die if you didn't take them to a settlement in a certain amount of time. This seemed a lot more realistic because an army isn't just going to let their lords die they would do what could to save them. I hope TWs considers making this a feature.

OMG...Let's finish this pointless conversation - I got tired of explaining to the oak-headed man, who still did not understand anything from my explanations. I gave quite reasonable arguments, and you give me back thrusting this nonsense about cheating, 1/3 and other bull****.

Can you send those reasonable arguments in this conversation too ? I've yet to see them.

There was also an older mod called true mortality on nexus, not sure if it still works on 1.5.5 but when it did work your companions had a chance to be critically wounded after falling in battle. It would tell you who was wounded and that they would die if you didn't take them to a settlement in a certain amount of time. This seemed a lot more realistic because an army isn't just going to let their lords die they would do what could to save them. I hope TWs considers making this a feature.

While this is a better approach than the current system, some conditions ought to still be instant death. A cutoff head means death, no matter to what settlement you go to for example.

Last edited:
This is partially intended, they brought in death without telling anyone in a hotfix and left us not knowing anything for over 3 weeks, real nice huh. But this is intended, the problem is they are dying in player run battles only, not simulations, also the death rate is 10%, which is high they intend to change it to 2% which I still think will be too high but hopefully soon it is all worked out since they werent nice enough to leave old age death only in so we are stuck with no death or a terrible death mechanic for over a month.
This sucks, why introduce companion deaths at all? Gotta agree with OP.

There's a large number of the community (most likely the majority) who want back the option we've had all along (until a few weeks ago): the option to play with aging (and death from age) enabled, but with death in battle disabled.

Honesty any lord having a high rate of death doesn't make any sense from an immersive or practical sense. As I said previously an army wouldn't let there lords die so easy. But a practical reason why this is bad is because there are far to few lords to be getting killed every few battles even if you are the one winning you could just be unintentionally killing off enemy lords without the chance to ransom them and leading to another faction snowballing their territory. If each clan had 15-30 lords, even if only a few were allowed to lead parties, that would make it so that you could have random deaths in battle and not have worry about snowballing or not having enough lords to fight mid to late game.

Here's your problem, Tale Worlds... I have invested many months of play in your VENEEA (Very Early, NO! Extremely Early Access) and made many bug reports for you. But I haven't played in 2 weeks, because I will be avoiding play until you return the lives of our companions to us, by backing out of this "feature" or by giving us the option to turn it off.

Why? Because I always play unmodded so that you can trust that my bug reports are from your game code alone. I won't play with a mod to disable companion death in battle... and I won't play BL without it disabled. That's just how I roll. Other players will differ. But I'm playing three other games now in the time I used to devote to BL. My interest in BL is still high, but waning. Your choice.

I've been informed that this bug is fixed and will be sent to the live or beta branch in the next updates.

Could you clarify a bit? What bug, specifically, do you mean?

I was under the impression that nobles and companions dying in battle was an intended feature. Do you mean that they're turning this feature off (for the time being) in the next update, or is there a particular bug I'm unaware of concerning the way the it currently works?

The bug was its being disabled on the settings side but being enabled on the game, contrary to the settings. That is fixed.

That's a "yay", I think? My interpretation of what you said is that a setting to disable combat deaths to companions, etc., will be available.
That's what I'm looking for, so I hope that's what you mean!

Glad I am that some action is pending. I cautiously took my crew out last night (with back up save in place!), got jumped by a 1,200 man army while sieging, won the battle, but THEY KILLED MY FIRST-BORN SON.

This might be great for realism, but not for me, playing a potentially dynastic game. LOAD SAVE!!

Hmm; it sounds to me that MArdA is talking about a different problem to the one we're talking about. MArdA said they fixed a bug where death-in-battle was occurring even when it was disabled in the settings. The issue we're talking about here is that there's no way to disable it in the settings, without also disabling all aging.

So, that bug fix won't affect any of us who are playing with aging (& death from age) enabled. We still have to deal with death-in-battle being forced on us. Unless, that is, there's been a miscommunication about what exactly was fixed.

As far as I know, we can't just enable or disable it on the go in the ongoing campaigns. To make it enabled or disabled the game needs to create a new campaign from scratch. If you enabled it you need to play that game as enabled and vice versa. And that is not a bug but an intended choice.

Back
Top Bottom