Impossible Lord Recruiting

Users who are viewing this thread

Once the pledge loyalty they should be bound to you for at least three months. I have never started a kindom in this game because of the main quest bullsh*ttery and the vassels leaving you right after joining.
i dont say or think its intended. its just my experience after starting new. i could imagine they try to make it harder to get vassals. what is not the best idea, cause more grind doesnt make a game better. but im just thinking out loud. i wanted to warn ppl who might run into the same problem. you could ofc work around with mercs, but at some point you need vassals to progress and i dont want to waste more time just to test. so i play the waiting game.

Has anyone found a mod that fixes this? Honestly, a mod that just sets their barter to always accept would do because bartering is useless at the moment and having it as a necessary step to recruit lords that want the world and more is downright stupid.

I think the crazy prices are based on how well the faction they're a part of is doing. So if the faction owns half the map, thanks to snowballing, they'll snowball harder because their lords will become unrecruitable and enemy lords will want to defect to them more. Apparently the devs tried to fix this but it seems like it was a really bad 'fix' that just decreased their willingness to swap sides. Meaning big factions are less likely to poach lords from small factions but also that big factions will NEVER have lords poached, simply because no-one has the 20,000,000 (Probably more actually) they're demanding.

I have this problem as well. I have 150 charm and I can get them to transfer to my kingdom but they want a load of moneys that i cannot afford. I put in 500k and most of my items and that didnt even get it to 25%.

This added to the cost of offering peace to kingdoms that declare war on you make it really difficult to save up moneys.

There is no apparent logic behind what prompts a lord to come over, or refuse.

Recently, I'm sort of coming to the conclusion that the "punitive" amount of collateral the lords demand as condition for coming over, is actually an in-game "inhibition" set for both the player and the AI, to simply BLOCK people from taking over an entire kingdom by simply save-scumming persuasion checks to all lords during peace time.

Judging by the amount even millions of gold fill on the persuasion bar (which doesn't even fill 20%), the amount of money the lords are demanding from you ranges over 20~30 millions of gold. This is much too high a sum to be considered a normal part of a normal game, and therefore, the only possible conclusion on WHY this is so, is that it's INTENTIONALLY SET TO IMPOSSIBLE LEVELS TO ACT AS AN INHIBITOR TO STOP THE PLAYER from persuading everyone to join player faction.

If the above assumption is true, then it explains why some lords, those with even towns and castles, will come over to your side upon successful persuasion, along with all their land and directly adding to the player's strength.

My theory, is that through some parameter set at some phase of the game, basically two or three lords in a given faction are set as "can be persuaded." The rest of them, are just hard-set to always ask for such amounts of money under whatever circumstances, and some of them are set to come over to your side, but leave their lands behind.

Through a lot of experimentation, empirically, it seems like, (for example) if a certain faction has 20 clans total, maybe 2 of them will come over with their own land almost unconditionally. Around 3 of them will come over, but leave their lands behind. And the rest 15 will be simply "impossible to persuade." My theory is, the ratio of how many clans will be under which type, are just simply set from the start. So far, I've never met a situation where a lord that has land, that demanded impossible amounts of money, would ever change that attitude.

The only times where their attitude changes, is when they've lost their fief, and are landless. In this case, they often become easy to persuade. This, is also another circumstantial evidence that lords refusing to leave their own faction to join yours, is fundamentally tied with whether they own their fiefs or not -- which supports the above conclusion that the punitive money demanded, is an artificial "BLOCKER" mechanism set to stop the player from taking over huge amounts of land through persuasion alone.

If the above theories are true, then I can certainly understand and accept why the game is set up this way, but I must also add this is a very crude method of handling the situation. A very poor execution of the intent -- as certainly there are better methods to handle it.

Since all of this is (probably) a matter of programming and event triggers, I'm also guessing it might be a crude, place-holder mechanic before they implement something better, which I certainly hope is the case.

If the above theories are true, then I can certainly understand and accept why the game is set up this way, but I must also add this is a very crude method of handling the situation. A very poor execution of the intent -- as certainly there are better methods to handle it.

This is... pretty much all of the systems in the game right now. It's very apparent that what we have now was JUST completed and I wouldn't be surprised if it was released under pressure for more funds as 'slapped together' is a very appropriate term for the game right now. Almost everything is apparently placeholder, and those placeholders are excessively simple/crude.

There is no apparent logic behind what prompts a lord to come over, or refuse.

Recently, I'm sort of coming to the conclusion that the "punitive" amount of collateral the lords demand as condition for coming over, is actually an in-game "inhibition" set for both the player and the AI, to simply BLOCK people from taking over an entire kingdom by simply save-scumming persuasion checks to all lords during peace time.

Judging by the amount even millions of gold fill on the persuasion bar (which doesn't even fill 20%), the amount of money the lords are demanding from you ranges over 20~30 millions of gold. This is much too high a sum to be considered a normal part of a normal game, and therefore, the only possible conclusion on WHY this is so, is that it's INTENTIONALLY SET TO IMPOSSIBLE LEVELS TO ACT AS AN INHIBITOR TO STOP THE PLAYER from persuading everyone to join player faction.

If the above assumption is true, then it explains why some lords, those with even towns and castles, will come over to your side upon successful persuasion, along with all their land and directly adding to the player's strength.

My theory, is that through some parameter set at some phase of the game, basically two or three lords in a given faction are set as "can be persuaded." The rest of them, are just hard-set to always ask for such amounts of money under whatever circumstances, and some of them are set to come over to your side, but leave their lands behind.

Through a lot of experimentation, empirically, it seems like, (for example) if a certain faction has 20 clans total, maybe 2 of them will come over with their own land almost unconditionally. Around 3 of them will come over, but leave their lands behind. And the rest 15 will be simply "impossible to persuade." My theory is, the ratio of how many clans will be under which type, are just simply set from the start. So far, I've never met a situation where a lord that has land, that demanded impossible amounts of money, would ever change that attitude.

The only times where their attitude changes, is when they've lost their fief, and are landless. In this case, they often become easy to persuade. This, is also another circumstantial evidence that lords refusing to leave their own faction to join yours, is fundamentally tied with whether they own their fiefs or not -- which supports the above conclusion that the punitive money demanded, is an artificial "BLOCKER" mechanism set to stop the player from taking over huge amounts of land through persuasion alone.

Since all of this is (probably) a matter of programming and event triggers, I'm also guessing it might be a crude, place-holder mechanic before they implement something better, which I certainly hope is the case.

Thanks for sharing! I made some own observations and they pretty much match whats described here. At first I thought that only Lords with fiefs will ask for much when persuaded, but yesterday a Lord with two towns joined me without bartering.
I then noticed that I had a critical success in the persuation and was done after 3 of 4 questions, so maybe that influences the bartering too? I enabled a mod to make persuation easier and was able to get another lord to join me instantly the same way, so I think critical success has some influence there too. On the other hand I had critical success with other lords and they wanted to barter, but they only asked for prisoners or a few k denar(and those were buggy merc clans)

I had no problems with lords leaving me again so far. Only the bugged mercenary Clans, which I can all make into a vassal...they leave very fast again, no matter if I give them fiefs or not. I won't bother with them anymore....

Agree. Because of this you have to hunt down the lords that don't have any fiefs and it's really anoying so I recommend the Telepathy mod with which you can talk to anyone any time, anywhere.

On the topic of the game trying to block you from easily recruting lords, have you noticed that everytime that you go to war with someone, all the merc or minor clans join the faction you are fighting? For example I'm in war with the western empire and they have 9 of those minor clans, which brings them a total of 36 new lords that are now running around raiding every village and enables them to create 500-700 men at moments notice. Not to mention the clans from defeated factions joining them.

So in total the western empire has 62 effective lords (effective as in the nobles that aren't governors). I get it so it is more dificult for the player but in just makes everything more tedious.

On the topic of the game trying to block you from easily recruting lords, have you noticed that everytime that you go to war with someone, all the merc or minor clans join the faction you are fighting? For example I'm in war with the western empire and they have 9 of those minor clans, which brings them a total of 36 new lords that are now running around raiding every village and enables them to create 500-700 men at moments notice. Not to mention the clans from defeated factions joining them.

So in total the western empire has 62 effective lords (effective as in the nobles that aren't governors). I get it so it is more dificult for the player but in just makes everything more tedious.

Yep, more tedium added because of the snowballing bogeyman. The funny thing is I'll even see mercs take contracts for factions with no income because they hold no more fiefs. How does that work?

Only get lords that join for free at this stage tbh....
I don't bother trying to bribe them since latest beta , they can ask for over 30 million and they might as well leave.

As for charm on persuasion , from my testing , there are only 2 ways it helps.
1) Get to the ''green charm'' stage , which is propably around 100.
2) Meaningful favours perk.

After you get those 2 charm doesn't seem to matter for me , stat rank doesn't affect percentages.
I've also noticed the percentages change depending on who lord you talk to , although i am unsure it depends on relation.
Could be a culture thing.
Also , honour , generosity and all those stats , suck ultra hard if you are forced to execute lords as i do.
I am currently -2 on a couple of them and this greatly affects the dialogues.
There are some dialogue tables where my highest chance option for persuasion is only 43%.
Meaningful favours perks yields the BEST results on all my save scumming tests than any other stat.

Yeah, the AI really needs a rework. SO one of the cities of the western empire is being besieged and istead of helping protect their city, they decide that it would be a good idea to besiege mine, ffs. And the worst part is that their city is being besiegend by the aserai, who arebecoming a superpower and are a real pain to fight.

Back
Top Bottom