So what's your opinion on Bannerlord?

Users who are viewing this thread

Define "bugs."

Frankly my biggest issues with the game aren't bugs, but broken/poorly optimized gameplay at the moment. The bad hideout system, the weird economy, the snowball stuff.

If that stuff is sorted, then my next issue is quite frankly, the map is packed too full of stuff. I get the idea of wanting to make use of all the space, but one of the charming things about Warband is that everything is so greatly spread out, there's a sense of space and largeness to the game. Because all the settlements are packed together like sardines that's less of a thing. There's simply no sense of wilderness or open space, and everything just winds up feeling cramped and clausstrophobic

Even the most densely populated area of Warband Calradia, the northern Swadian cities, aren't anywhere near as slampacked as any single point of the current map. There was enough room to really feel like going from one end of the map to the other was a journey, not just a day trip. Despite technically being probably a bigger map, Bannerlord doesn't have that.

I know this won't happen, but if I had my way the map would be flattened out and increased by about 1.5x in overall size, with more empty space between major cities, more wilderness for bandits to infest without streaking through major population centers, and more places for lords to encounter each other and fight their battles before the enemy gets into the heartland..

Rough around the edges, but early game is still as addictive as Warband to me. Provided they fix all the bugs, refine the various systems in-game, and either make aging optional or allow us to change season length to 90, it can much less of a grindfeast and much, much more enjoyable in the long-term.

I like it, but it feels somewhat repetitive. There's really not any variety to quests; its all the same from warband plus or minus a few oddballs. I would like to see more quests and more variety. The bandit raids are a neat feature but its the same 3 maps over and over again.

Rough. Bugs, balance, and mechanics need all polish.

The core gameplay is still there. It is still very strong. The layers on top of it need to be streamlined.

If you are expecting Warband II right NOW, I don't recommend it. If you want to have access and have the patience then I still recommend it.

I have beta tested some major software. This is no different. You just have to understand what you are agreeing to.

There are many many poor game design choices that imo cripple the experience. Despite the snowball effect though, I still thoroughly enjoy it.

Similar to Imgram, but the world is WAY too large. Hear me out.

Characters don't mean anything, heck, clans don't mean anything, and they all harbour nearly half a dozen lords each. There is very little charm to the game. Companions aren't special, to the point where they have a noun or adjective labelled next to their actual name so you can define their worth. Even though its WIP, you cannot interact with anyone for anything except for quests, and maybe marriage if it works for you.

This would be fine, but the issue is that its difficult to give a face to settlement names, to the point where the encyclopedia becomes your best friend. Finding lords is incredibly frustrating due to the inconsistency. If I view the encyclopedia, he's near here, but if he's not I have to wait 3 days before it refreshes. To top it off, the world is so clearly lifeless and devoid of diversity. Everyone does everything the same.

Battanians: "Forest people who specialize in guerilla warfare, using their expertise as bowmen."(Paraphrased)
  • They utilize the army system.
  • They are EXTREMELY aggressive despite being portrayed as an underdog defending their land from all sides.
  • DON'T HAVE AN ARCHER UNIT IN THEIR PEASANT TROOP TREE!!!
The same persists with the other factions, no patrols roaming the lands, no manhunters. No non-lord war parties... it is CURRENTLY fairly barren.

More examples include:
  • Legion of the betrayed don't roam around as a constant army.
  • Aserai AFAIK aren't trade masters, and as such don't see more than the usual amount of Caravans from them.
  • Empire don't have non-lord detachments that would indicate while even fractured, are a force to be reckoned with.
  • I have yet to see a pasture in any starting vlandian village.
  • CURRENTLY no AOR
Overall, I think there are some massive design overlooks and flaws which is a shame, but I can only hope that they decide to liven up the world and give meaning to settlements other than have them act as fortresses and places of recruitment.

It's good but the army system makes your faction or enemy factions super vulnerable, and the ai doesn't make the smartest of choices. Also, why is the capture rate so much higher, it seems every battle the lord doesn't escape or if an army goes down they all get captured.

It's basically an upgrade to Warband which is one of my favorite games of all time.

Bugs, balancing, optimisation aside, I feel it could use more quests or other content to fill in between grinding XP, loot, money & relations. Maybe more available quests would be enough.

Other than that, thumbs up from me.

The "optional" storyline is not optional at all. Sure, one can skip the tutorial and pretend it never happened. But the quests and people in the clan tap stay there. Not to mention that one of the crucial parts (spoiler below) of the sandbox is gated behind the quests. I think there needs to be an option to start without any ties, as a bland nobody and create a warband/clan from nothing like in warband, and the said gated mechanic should also work like it did before.

apparently, storyline quests are required for kingdom creation

Want to play right now, but with saved games having an expiration date, I might hold off until they fix that.

I also don't like how your characters now have an expiration date, too. Want an option to turn off aging.

For an Early Access product is in a good shape, didn't meet any crashes so far( I know works on my pc meme). But it misses features from previous games like Camping,books and training your troops with friendly spars. Not the end of the world but surely it would be easy to implement.

Feedback in general: The game sure misses a bit of the point of being a Sandbox and an RPG from the previous game. I'd hope to have this clan thing, only if you opt in or choose a background for your character, I loved in the previous game where it simply dropped you near whatever place you decided to start with your character and let the player decide and figure what he wants to do. Like even if not the "intended" way to play Mount and Blade, you could go focus on tourneys ,trading, questing, even try your luck with noble ladies if you had the grace to win a difficult tourney. The first impression that I got from my gameplay with Bannerlord that the Kingdom management and kingdom wars is the core and thats it. Now you are asking why the hell Im saying that, well the lack of feast halls after tourneys sure make your interaction much difficult with the nobles besides running across the map, all the quests have the purpose of gaining reputation with certain figures so you can boost your troop recruitment and nothing else, tourneys don't allow to get combat XP so even if you managed to beat a very difficult opponent in the tourney grounds, you get 0 progression, its the game telling you if you want any kind of progression you must engage in wars for optimal progression gain. With that I'd like to make a plea to the devs, let the player tell their own story. Thats what made me fall in love with Mount and Blade.

For an Early Access product is in a good shape, didn't meet any crashes so far( I know works on my pc meme). But it misses features from previous games like Camping,books and training your troops with friendly spars. Not the end of the world but surely it would be easy to implement.

Feedback in general: The game sure misses a bit of the point of being a Sandbox and an RPG from the previous game. I'd hope to have this clan thing, only if you opt in or choose a background for your character, I loved in the previous game where it simply dropped you near whatever place you decided to start with your character and let the player decide and figure what he wants to do. Like even if not the "intended" way to play Mount and Blade, you could go focus on tourneys ,trading, questing, even try your luck with noble ladies if you had the grace to win a difficult tourney. The first impression that I got from my gameplay with Bannerlord that the Kingdom management and kingdom wars is the core and thats it. Now you are asking why the hell Im saying that, well the lack of feast halls after tourneys sure make your interaction much difficult with the nobles besides running across the map, all the quests have the purpose of gaining reputation with certain figures so you can boost your troop recruitment and nothing else, tourneys don't allow to get combat XP so even if you managed to beat a very difficult opponent in the tourney grounds, you get 0 progression, its the game telling you if you want any kind of progression you must engage in wars for optimal progression gain. With that I'd like to make a plea to the devs, let the player tell their own story. Thats what made me fall in love with Mount and Blade.
Well said. I've been spending a lot of my time getting in good with the criminal underworld. I'll get around to conquering the world eventually...if I don't die of old age first. Not looking forward to having to raise a family if I want to continue the playthrough.

Battles Battles Battles. I know alot of people just wanted a re-skinned Warband and all but games are meant to evolve and mature as technology gets more advanced. Look at what RDR2 and Kingdom Come and even the Witcher series done for innovating the open world/RPG genre. Having a re-skinned Warband for a new player like me just feels like outdated, why not significantly improve and innovate. My biggest issue is the poor AI in battles unable to use any sort of tactics. Infantry just charges everytime and it's over in a matter of seconds and i'm not just talking about battles with bandits or looters.

The AI doesn't know how to split units into groups and expose and attack flanks. It feels like it's units of archers, cavalry and infantry act as individuals, not as part of one force. For example if the AI has superior archers it should keep itself back and use that to their advantage pounding your position rather than charging their infantry down on you who for one may be outnumbered and second will be hit by their own arrows. This is really basic stuff. I'm hoping for this to be kind of a third person total war but battles feel kind of arcadey so i'm hoping this will be improved.

Last edited:
Let's say all the bugs get fixed, what are some ideas you have to make the game better?
I think Taleworlds has done amazing with the engine. The foundation of the game is incredible. The combat is fun and challenging, the world is beautiful and a lot of the mechanics have great potential but they need to be tweaked here and there.

I haven't had any of the stability issues others have been experiencing so I've been able to go pretty wild with the game I'm at about 60 hours in. My only complaint so far is about the pacing of the game. The Kingdom conflict is to fast for the rate that your character currently progresses through the game. At least in the two campaigns I've played so far.

The good news is that Taleworlds has done the hardest part well I've seen 300 vs 300 battles work with little to no issue in a beautiful gaming world. They are addressing bugs quickly, and if they continue to respond to constructive criticism about the game I think they will have yet another awesome game on their hands in a few months.

Well said. I've been spending a lot of my time getting in good with the criminal underworld. I'll get around to conquering the world eventually...if I don't die of old age first. Not looking forward to having to raise a family if I want to continue the playthrough.
Haha, I wish you luck but don't expect much. How far are you? Kingdom management is non-existent, and by the time you truly get off the ground, you'll find that one faction already rules half the map.

How do you get in with the criminal underworld?

Back
Top Bottom