Has anyone gotten into VR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kharille

Knight at Arms
Figure my next desktop will be capable of VR and I'd be inclined to try out the experience.  Just curious whether anyone here has been getting into it  Any favourite games?  Care to tell us about your specs?  What VR games are you playing?

I have VR. I play it occasionally. War Thunder is pretty nice because it's a real game that fits the best use case: sitting in a chair. I've also played standing up games and shooters like Onward or Pavlov and they're acceptable. I have a Ryzen 7 2700X and Vega 64 Liquid.

Been working on a few projects involving VR with work. It's really fun as a gimmick but not sure I would have the patience to sit through a whole game with it.

I will chime in since no one else cares

I brought a VR headset about 2 days ago. It was a Windows Mixed Reality headset from HP. A 150 dollar refurbish.

I also do not have a "VR Ready" PC at all.

AMD Ryzen 2700x, 32GB Ram, Geforce 1050TI. Obviously the main bottleneck is the 1050TI.

So to preface, I have experienced lag and stutters. But I am different as I do not get nauseous from low framerated and I do not need teleportation assistance and enabled "natural" walking on all the games that support it. This is important to know as you may be different from me and probably feel intense nauseous and motion sickness if you are to try to copy my VR setup. I don't reccomend it, but if you want to go VR on cheap, be prepared to experience stutters and nauseous. I of course was prepared.

I can honestly say that VR is great, it is everything as advertised. I have felt immersion that normal gaming has never gave me before. I feel like a child exploring all the new things as if I were 5 discovering new game mechanics and exploits.

But of course not everything is perfect.

Windows Mixed Reality tracking is absolute garbage. Im not sure why Microsoft refuses to allow external tracking, as they already have the technology for it(Kinect). If only they were to sell the Kinect Sensor along with the headset to help track entire body movement, to give them a significant advantage over Oculus and Rift, Windows Mixed Reality could have been a market breaker that could rival Oculus and Vive with an extremely cheap cost, and full body tracking.

Don't listen to anyone who says that Windows Mixed Reality tracking is not an issue. It absolutely was for many games I have played and severely hampered my experiences.

Sure games such as Taphouse VR is fine, and Skyrim VR too, but games like Onward I could not aim properly and has got me killed. I could not express myself properly in VRchat and it made my player look as if they are an autistic child pretending they are a dinosaur. In Gorn the terrible tracking does not play well when I tried copying movements like Warband. If you are to try to copy Warband's animations in Windows Mixed Reality what usually ends up happening is that your hands get stuck and moving back in front of the tracking cameras on the headset teleports your hands to the front after a brief delay. Terrible for melee games like Gorn and has got me killed.

There is also an issue with the software, specifically the games on Steam. There are simply not many games currently at the time of this writing. Most of the games I have spent the most time on in VR is Rec Room(4 hours), VRchat(2 hours), The Lab(.4 hours). I spent most of my free time browsing the Steam Store looking for interesting games to play. Or maybe I am falling into that trap where you browse the Steam Store for hours and complain about the quality of games and ignoring the hundreds of indie gems out there.

This still makes me hopeful though, as the pros to the intense immersion of VR and expriences I had can't be replaced by normal gaming, and I sill continue to play Rec Room on my Windows headset. My top of the list conplaint seems to be based on Windows Mixed Reality Tracking and Microsoft's refusal to allow external Kinect Sensors for full body tracking.

So my advice to anyone interested in VR:

-Yes its ****ing awesome.

-No I don't reccomend spending money on it now. Depending on your values and principles of life, you may have issues with Oculus(Privacy and Anti Consumerism), and HTC(Anti Consumerism and illegal practices), and Windows Mixed Reality(Nothing wrong except horrible tracking) and the games and software is simply not there yet.

I suggest that you let Early Adopters like me pay the cost first, wait for the technology and market to mature. If you really want to exprience VR now, go to a friends house or save your money on a cheap refurbished Windows Mixed Reality headset.

I will be personally be waiting for Pimax and saving my money for a RTX2080TI. And hopefully a VR mod for Bannerlord at some point.

When we looked for a house to buy, the requirement for his room was "big enough for a designated VR area", but now he's still waiting for the 2nd generation (of the HTC system), I believe. :grin: His friend has the first and got him "hooked" and me mildly interested. My husband has a Playstation VR he could take over from his previous job, and we both quite enjoyed that Rhythm Violence game...what was it called? Oh, Thumper. But it's not a lasting attaction, so far, probably mostly due to the limited content availability.

New Steam made VR system

https://store.steampowered.com/valveindex

Seems the tracking to be be both the front facing camera like the Microsoft's MR headsets, and base stations like the Vive. I can imagine extremely precise hand movements. Will also come wih valve knuckles. 1000 dollars for a headset, controller, and 2 base stations combo.

I got to try my cousin's Oculus Quest VR system yesterday. First time I'd ever tried anything VR. The Quest's standalone, so no PC or console needed, and it's completely wireless. I was impressed. It didn't blow me away: I've heard some people say that the first time they put on a VR headset, the impression of actually being in the game was incredible. I didn't have that feeling, but I still thought it was quite cool. Also, I didn't get motion sick at all, which was nice, although I didn't walk around much with the headset on. The Oculus Quest itself seemed nice. It felt well-made, the headset wasn't distractingly heavy, and the way the controllers worked seemed pretty intuitive once I got used to them. There were two pistol-grip shaped controllers, one for each hand. On the tops, they had thumbsticks and buttons like you'd find on a console controller. On the front, there was a trigger right where you'd expect it to be, where you could squeeze it with your index finger. Then, on the side of each controller there was a grip button (like another trigger) that you could use by squeezing your middle finger around the controller. You'd move your hands IRL, and your virtual hands would move in the game. You'd reach toward an object and then press the grip button to pick it up. The computer seemed pretty smart about understanding what you were trying to do, and things felt fairly user-friendly and intuitive.

I only played part of the tutorial, but there was one section where I could pick up a paper airplane in the game, and then make a little motion with the controller to throw it. Get it right, and it'd fly. Mess up the throwing motion, and it'd crash. Or at least that's how it seemed to work; I only did a few times. As someone who probably made hundreds of paper airplanes when he was a kid, I thought that was pretty cool that it worked in the game like it does in real life. :lol: From what I could tell, you didn't have to make big gestures or wave your arms around; for what I was doing, small movements were all I needed, but my cousin showed me where he'd done some serious damage to a couple of ceiling tiles in his basement by hitting them with the controllers. :lol: Then there was this target shooting mode, which was where I had the most fun. It wasn't like shooting in a PC game where you move your mouse to aim. You held a gun in your (virtual) hand, moved your hand to point it at the target, and clicked the trigger on the controller to fire. It was point and shoot. It felt really natural. All in all, it was a cool piece of technology. However, my uncle said it cost like $550, including tax. I'm not ready to spend that much for one of my own, but I'd definitely be up for trying my cousin's a couple more times.

Back
Top Bottom