Game crashes when starting battle

Users who are viewing this thread

Schmiddy

Recruit
I'll enter the dialogue with the bandit group im about to fight and when I click the option to enter battle my game simply crashes, tried on numerous saves on 150 and 156 with compatability mode on / off and I keep running into the same issue.

OYyWkPC.png

I can think of two things:

1. corrupt mod files. If still have your downloaded files, use 7-zip to test the archives.
    If they're good, install the base first, then the latest patch.
    If not, get the latest files from nexusmods and reinstall.

2. outdated or corrupted Visual C++ files. You can find the latest on the Microsoft site, or you can probably look under the Installed Updates and reinstall the latest version or patch.

There are probably another "gotcha" or two, but these are the ones that I remember working. :???:
Just a thought: You aren't using v150 saves w/ v156 or visa versa? If so, start a new game.
Warband saves are notorious for becoming corrupted. Usually, it's not more than one save, though. I'd delete the old saves. It's possible that they might be corrupt.

I've updated C++ and now the battle will start then crash after a couple seconds with the same error. I tried redownloading the mod from nexusmods and nothing changed. Also ran in administrator mode and with compatability mode for both windows 7 and windows 8 and nothing changed. I haven't used any saves from different versions. This is also the only module I'm having trouble with.

Schmiddy said:
I've updated C++ and now the battle will start then crash after a couple seconds with the same error. I tried redownloading the mod from nexusmods and nothing changed. Also ran in administrator mode and with compatability mode for both windows 7 and windows 8 and nothing changed. I haven't used any saves from different versions. This is also the only module I'm having trouble with.

I'd suggest checking "load textures on demand" when Warband first menu comes up, BEFORE loading the mod.  Start Warband, click options: video: make sure to check Load Textures on Demand.  Without this, a 2 GB dedicated video card loads all textures and resources into memory, but does not have enough memory remaining to perform the normal operations for building and displaying the battle scenes.  So battles crash even though you managed to get the game to load.  This is because we have close enough to 2 GB of textures and resource files; Native has < 400 MB.  There are several mods like this.  In theory Load Textures on Demand slightly slows the mod, but anything is better than crashing.  You only have to set it once and leave it.

Also make absolutely sure you aren't still running Warband version 1.158 or older; this mod uses operands that did not exist in 1.158 to weigh troop's gear and calculate encumbrance to set moving speed and dodge.  Having the old version would generate around 9600 (1200 troops * 8 weapons slots) errors immediately and another 400*8 errors about 1 second later.  That would overflow the output message buffer, although I reset it every 40 seconds to recover, but it also means every troop has invalid encumbrance and moves strangely.

Phantasy mod was mi favorite mod for warband, now i tested the new Phantasy 2018 and i got a big issued with framerate, like 4 fps as mi pc is not verry old but the video card has only 2Gb memory.
So i made some adjustements, the biggest improve of all is to runn the game in directx 7 instead of 9 got now 20 fps and im ready to play  :razz:

The "load textures on demand" option worked it seemed, which is bizarre to me because I have a 4Gb 1050 Ti.

0gUUjin.png

In any case, thanks for the help. If you'd like me to test something to figure out why this is happening I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Schmiddy said:
The "load textures on demand" option worked it seemed, which is bizarre to me because I have a 4Gb 1050 Ti.

In any case, thanks for the help. If you'd like me to test something to figure out why this is happening I'd be more than happy to oblige.

I forgot that one, sorry.
It's a Warband bug.

Clau24 said:
Phantasy mod was mi favorite mod for warband, now i tested the new Phantasy 2018 and i got a big issued with framerate, like 4 fps as mi pc is not verry old but the video card has only 2Gb memory.
So i made some adjustements, the biggest improve of all is to runn the game in directx 7 instead of 9 got now 20 fps and im ready to play  :razz:

lower your battle size (set in options from within the mod - press Esc) from 150 to about 60 and make sure 'prefer big battles' is not checked in camp menu: Phantasy Settings.

Schmiddy said:

Warband uses a limited amount of memory for staging video textures at the system memory pool, so having a video card > 2 GB still does not clear the 2 GB barrier; you do have problems sooner with LESS than 2 GB though.  Nothing wrong with 4 GB video card, just Warband is optimized for 2 GB.  Its a Warband issue.  For what it's worth this PC has a Nvidia 950 with 2 GB and 16 GB of system RAM and I still need to set Load Textures on Demand to avoid random crashes.

Back
Top Bottom