Creating companions problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Wlodowiec

Sergeant at Arms
Greetings everyone, first time I write in this section of the Forum so I apologize if that is not the right thread to speak about this issue.. However:

I'm working over a mod based on Native in these days and I wanted to add some companions to the gameplay, with their own stories, stats, faces, and so on. To do so I followed this tutorial: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=130815.0

I have Python (rightly installed and located into the variables path https://gyazo.com/cf090279ea62a63bd2c5904164cee337) and ModSys folders on my desktop. I edited module_info as asked and then I opened module_troops to add the companions I wanted, always following what the tutorial said. Once I have copied Klethys info and added the new character I launched Warband and to start looking for my companion in all the taverns: I was unable to find that character and when I went to edit characters faces IN GAME I found out that the companion I added simply doesnt exist.
I also went into my mod folder and my new companion is not in the troop.txt, it looks like Python and ModSys are "not connected" with the right module; oddly, the module_info says "export_dir = "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/MountBlade Warband/Modules/Of Kings and Men" so the directory is right.

I cant understand where's the problem! Is there someone who can help me?

P.S.: I didnt write on the tutorial topic because it looks like is dead

Heinrik von Waiblingen said:
"export_dir = "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/MountBlade Warband/Modules/Of Kings and Men"

the right thread: Q&A thread

your issue: missing a slash there
Code:
export_dir = "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/MountBlade Warband/Modules/Of Kings and Men/"

kalarhan said:
"export_dir = "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/MountBlade Warband/Modules/Of Kings and Men"

the right thread: Q&A thread

your issue: missing a slash there
Code:
export_dir = "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/MountBlade Warband/Modules/Of Kings and Men/"

You're right, sorry. If there's an admin who can move this topic It would be great.

In any case, you were right, I added the slash but when I logged into the game all my previous changes were removed, I managed to take back the units added but the modifications on the parties template are vanished. How to avoid this the next time?
Also, most important, ALL the capitals are messed up now: Praven is Vaegir, Tulga is Nordic, etcetc.. Merchants are messed up in towns (I chose Reyivadin as starting location and I met Sargoth merchant instead of the Reyivadin one), then in the tavern I met a fully-recruitable King Harlaus (o_O), but not my companion...

P.S.: Parties template and unit creation were both things made thanks to Morgh Editor, it looks like Python removed everything messing some scripts also

P.S.: Parties template and unit creation were both things made thanks to Morgh Editor, it looks like Python removed everything messing some scripts also

you can use Morghs with the .py files, instead of the .txt files. Otherwise your changes will always be removed after a new compilation (when you use build_module.bat)

TLDR: you can't edit .txt directly

kalarhan said:

you can use Morghs with the .py files, instead of the .txt files. Otherwise your changes will always be removed after a new compilation (when you use build_module.bat)

TLDR: you can't edit .txt directly

Is there a way for me to not lose what I've done for now? Turning the .txt files into .py files, maybe, if thereìs a way to do it. The idea to recreate all the troops I made previously is not that comfortable..

kalarhan said:
Is there a way for me to not lose what I've done for now? Turning the .txt files into .py files, maybe, if thereìs a way to do it. The idea to recreate all the troops I made previously is not that comfortable..

short answer: no

very long answer: yes. If you need to ask about it tho, it is probably beyond what you can do (requires some deeper know-how in coding). All you need to do is learn how process_troops.py works and do the reverse process to generate the list.

middle term answer: you can keep your troops.txt and replace it after compilation. But that will limit what you can do in the future.

Limiting my work? How so?

very long answer: yes. If you need to ask about it tho, it is probably beyond what you can do (requires some deeper know-how in coding). All you need to do is learn how process_troops.py works and do the reverse process to generate the list.

middle term answer: you can keep your troops.txt and replace it after compilation. But that will limit what you can do in the future. And you will need to update your ID_troops.py somehow as well (as the compilation will fail if you don't). And do a quick change on your build_module.bat (to not process troops anymore).

Edit: few more details on how to use troops.txt ... quite clear is it not that easy or such a good idea, but ... possible anyway  :mrgreen:

kalarhan said:

middle term answer: you can keep your troops.txt and replace it after compilation. But that will limit what you can do in the future. And you will need to update your ID_troops.py somehow as well (as the compilation will fail if you don't). And do a quick change on your build_module.bat (to not process troops anymore).

Edit: few more details on how to use troops.txt ... quite clear is it not that easy or such a good idea, but ... possible anyway  :mrgreen:

I see... Well, thank you then. I'll probably start to recreate all the troops via Python then, seems the only way for me.

I see... Well, thank you then. I'll probably start to recreate all the troops via Python then, seems the only way for me.

find someone that knows Python and you can recreate a simple version of it in 10minutes or so. Just don't expect to get help on this forum, as tools that do that  (reverse engineering the .txt) are not allowed to be posted, even a such simple one for troops.txt (which can be created in couple minutes)

Cheers

kalarhan said:

find someone that knows Python and you can recreate a simple version of it in 10minutes or so. Just don't expect to get help on this forum, as tools that do that  (reverse engineering the .txt) are not allowed to be posted, even a such simple one for troops.txt (which can be created in couple minutes)

Cheers

For the future, can you show me where the Q&A thread is? I didnt find it here in The Forge

Back
Top Bottom