Can Enemy NPCs join your party?

Users who are viewing this thread

After playing Bandit King for a while, everyone almost certainly is in the same situation:  They are dragging around a prison wagon full of enemy NPCs.  And I'm sure we've all thought at some time: "Well, if I am already carting these guys all over the place, I might as well get them to join me." 

I've tried over and over to increase my relationship with enemy NPCs so that I could get them to join my party, but I've never been successful.  It seems to be a losing battle, so I've been trying to cheat up their relationship with me...but I am still having no luck :neutral:

Is this possible?  And if not, is it a planned feature in a future release?  Nox had suggested that this was possible a long time ago, but I don't know if this feature was ever actually implemented.

I managed to get one! I saved him from an enemy party which had imprisoned him.

I don't believe there's another way right now...

hessuu said:
I managed to get one! I saved him from an enemy party which had imprisoned him.

I don't believe there's another way right now...

correct.
or when you capture a town/castle with imprisoned Lords. You get the option that they can join you.

Okay, I gave this a shot tonight and found that....(drum roll please)........it didn't work.

I rescued this bozo.  He liked me a lot but wouldn't join me when I chose the first option.  So I reloaded, rescued him again and chose the second option.  Still didn't work.  Am I missing something or is there a % chance of them offering to join when you capture them?

There must be some element of chance involved, or else the lord's own town or castle is held by someone else.  I rescued 3 Swadian lords from the Nords, but only one offered to join me (Lord Stamar).  He has been quite useful since then.

yellowmosquito said:
After playing Bandit King for a while, everyone almost certainly is in the same situation:  They are dragging around a prison wagon full of enemy NPCs.  And I'm sure we've all thought at some time: "Well, if I am already carting these guys all over the place, I might as well get them to join me." 

I've tried over and over to increase my relationship with enemy NPCs so that I could get them to join my party, but I've never been successful.  It seems to be a losing battle, so I've been trying to cheat up their relationship with me...but I am still having no luck :neutral:

Is this possible?  And if not, is it a planned feature in a future release?  Nox had suggested that this was possible a long time ago, but I don't know if this feature was ever actually implemented.
in m&b 9.60 if you press the camp butten and it gives you wait here for sometime if you click it more will pop up and one is recruite prisneros to your party. but once there jion you some may and try run away . i have only had 1or2 run away

There were supposed to be several cases where this can occur, but that part was really buggy and crappy and not well tested because I really wanted to rewrite that whole dialogue system.

Your options right now should be

1) turn the captured lords over to their enemies (if they have any) and gain faction with the enemy, lose faction with their faction and them and gain money
2) release them to the custody of their own side and gain faction with them, and their side.  I don't know if you get money.

I think you have to find the king, which can be a pretty big drag sometimes.

My ideas for things to add was -

-being able to execute lord prisoners
-releasing lords
-recruiting lords in more circumstances

any ideas are welcome

What do you think the consequences should be for executing a noble? 

I was thinking it would raise dread (I wanted to have a dreaded factor, like 'nobility' but.. you know ... =)  and certainly cost you faction with pretty much everyone.

I wonder what other consequences there could be?

nox said:
What do you think the consequences should be for executing a noble? 

I was thinking it would raise dread (I wanted to have a dreaded factor, like 'nobility' but.. you know ... =)  and certainly cost you faction with pretty much everyone.

I wonder what other consequences there could be?

Peloponnesian War has explored this recently using code adapted from Mirathei's Gun Thunder source, with a massive Honor loss and assassins getting sent after you and other such things. Also put a cool little grave site for the lord on the map :twisted:

If you didn't want to code in another Honor-type variable, negative honor will work as "dread". The question becomes whether 'dread' is compatible with chivalrous conduct, or whether you'd prefer to handle honor and dread in two different capacities... :?:

Negative Honor could work as dread.  It certainly would make it easier.  Otherwise you would have to analyze all the current in game activities and redecide if they affect your honor or dread rating.

yellowmosquito said:
Negative Honor could work as dread.  It certainly would make it easier.  Otherwise you would have to analyze all the current in game activities and redecide if they affect your honor or dread rating.

Pretty much all the dread in the game would be bandit king related stuff.

To make the mod easier to port, I try hard not to alter distributed code...  it makes porting it horrible if I've modified 'vendor' routines.

I would like for the player to be able to be dreaded but also honorable...  I don't know. 

This idea may be too much of a tangent, but I'll give it a shot.  It certainly ties in with the killing of enemy NPCs.

As everyone knows, sometimes you are ambushed when entering a town at night.  These attacks seem are usually unexpected, and you really never get any information about where they came from.

Well, It might be cool if there were hireable assassins found in taverns (maybe only at night?).  You could hire these assassins to attempt assassinations against enemy npcs.  These attacks would have to be very expensive with a low chance of success.  There would also be a moderate chance that an assassin is captured (rather than killed) on failure, and that your name is revealed as the financier!  This would result in a large drop in standing with the NPC, and a smaller drop with the faction they belong to.  If the assassin is killed or succeeds, you identity is safe and the NPC is dead forever.  It could be possible to remove kings this way, but it would have to be very expensive and with a much lower success rate.  (I'm not sure if it is planned that there will be a way for a new king/lord to rise up from the faction to take the fallen's spot either...That might ruin the whole point of it.)

Additionally, when you survive an assassin attack (already scripted into native), you could have a chance to uncover the name of the enemy npc that financed them.  Enemy NPCs that disliked you would be more likely to send assassins your way.

Well, anyway there it is.  There might be some ideas in there that you can run with!  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom