SubMod Grenadiers à Cheval de la Garde Impériale

Users who are viewing this thread

I updated the download links since old ones are not working anymore and I keep getting emails about it. Funny how people still want this old submod even though there are better alternatives around. Enjoy I guess. 🫥

I wanted to do this for a long time. Actually, I've done it long ago, but i had other things to do, so the files lied dead and forgotten for about 2 months.

The only Guard unit that was sadly unincluded in this mod by Docm30 are my Favorite Grenadiers à Cheval.

So i decided to make this submod for people who miss this beautiful guys too.

vCAjRg9.jpg

Grenadiers à Cheval de la Garde Impériale

Here's the deal:

I made 2 units:

1. Velites de Grenadiers a Cheval de la Garde Imperiale.

I wasn't sure, what kind of troops I should make, besides the old guard of course. I couldn't find any more information about any other French horse grenadiers regiments. The only ones i saw were in the Napoleon Total war (Not really good proof of existence). Therefore, I decide to make them Velites. They were 1-2 companies attached to the Vieille guards regiment, but technically were considered part of Jeune Garde. They followed the regiment only during Campaigns, and were originally intended to replace aging grenadiers in the future, but mostly used to supply decreasing numbers of guards during the war.

I used polish line officer top uniform and standard cuirassier horses. That's not really historical, but at least helps them to look different from others.

I must also add that i used simple white gloves instead of cavalry variants for both troops. I tried using cavalry gloves in the beginning, but since the uniform models were intended for infantry, the long cavalry gloves were interfering with their sleeves, making it look not that good.

2. Grenadiers a Cheval de la Vieille Garde.

Those are Classic. I tried to make them look maximum historically accurate to my humble capabilities.

I even sacrifices original Dutch cuirassiers saddle skin, to make it look more like Grenadiers a Cheval horses. However, I still work on them.

The biggest dilemma, concerning both variants - was the weapons. Both cold and firearms were quite a riddle to solve.

A) About the melee weapons: This is actually an interesting thing - Horse Grenadiers had unique swords. Somewhat in between classic straight swords, used by heavy cavalry and light cavalry sabers (semi curved blade with a massive guard, carrying the grenadiers emblem):

Slk2ZG5.jpg

Docm30 created no such, thought they exist in Napoleonic wars add-on. First, I considered adding them to the module, but that's kind of hard for me. Next, I thought to give them the French Cuirassiers sword. But it's lack of scabbard (Sheesh, no answer from the creator, concerning them...) convinced me not to use them. Finally, I decide to use sabers (they looked more like originals in some way). I used Light officer's sabre for Velites and a guard officer sabre for the Grenadiers (it's decoration looks quite alike to those, the regiment officers had on their blades).

B) Firearms were a harder case. Historically, Horse Grenadiers were considered Grenadiers, and as such carried a full-scale infantry musket. Though formally (at least in the beginning) being a somewhat horse-mounted infantry, pretty soon they turned in full-melee heavy cavalry, and carried the muskets rather due to tradition, and for guard duty, very rarely using it in a combat (especially since they were not even a carbines, and couldn't be used in a saddle).

So i had no real idea, what to do with it. I tried to use both muskets (though that's no really practical since using them as mounted infantry wasn't as productive as melee combat) and carbines with them. Both looked somewhat bad and had no particular use. So as a compromise (kind of ) i gave them some dueling pistols.

Concerning the Stats:

I must confess - I have sinned. I really boosted them up, comparing to cuirassiers i used as a base for them. I know I’m bad.
Nevertheless, I really wanted them to be the great cavalry they were, especially since they are not carrying any armor, as cuirassiers do. Therefore, I increased their melee and firearms skills, strength and agility.

Here's the stats for the Old guard Grenadiers a Cheval:

a) 1h weapons: 205
b) Firearms: 235
c) Strength: 9
d) Agility: 8

Once more!

I reskinned the Dutch Hussars horse's saddle! Be warned!

Additionally
, after Docm30's advice, I decided to make 2 versions of the submod:

The campaign dress uses overcoat instead of surtoit.

Also, for Campaign dress I replaced the pistols with carbines (even though that's not historically accurate)

Here's the screenshots:

1. Full Dress

b. Grenadiers.

8lYTcMM.jpg

PzYepJw.jpg

PUzF5EJ.jpg

wCBivPX.jpg

hgmxWYk.jpg

a. Velites

KJD9KUq.jpg

XHKcVJD.jpg

OKnqvSq.jpg

2. Campaign Dress

b. Grenadiers.

CJ1qCMF.jpg

ECCZLYY.jpg

AYtZFi3.jpg

a. Velites

QjfDlNZ.jpg

qTOvWW4.jpg

TmNnn5A.jpg

Download:

Drop the troops.txt file in to the mod's directory and replace the original.

Remember - you need to put the dds file in the Textures Folder!

One last thing! For one reason or another... L'aigle needs a new game for this to work. Why? No idea. Docm30 says it's not his fault. But for whatever the reason, For the submod to take action, You need to start a new game... Weird...

New, updated download links:

1. Full dress:

2. Campaign dress:

Old, defunct links (for history):

Last edited:
Only 1 Reply for the Whole Time, Guys?

I know I'm not a modder, but was it actually THIS bad?

It's not as big as, for example, The South Essex submod, and I put in much less effort, but still... A single Reply? For a Month?

What did I do wrong?

Somewhatpro said:
the south Essex mod guy is doing requests.

I understand that, but before that he had a lot of replies on the South Essex alone too. I'm not that good of a Modder, so I'm far from being sure, If I could do requests myself, but that's not the point. In the end, though, it depends on what kind of request it is.

What I was trying to say, is that although my submod had about 350 + Views, no one commented on it, besides:

Kacper1234PL said:
Nice skins, downloading.

And that was more like a "I'll try it out" respond. But no actual criticism, or proposals\ideas... I expected at least some proper reaction on the submod, but it seems no one really cares...
And That's what is sad.

I never asked for "Nice Job" thing. I ask for your opinion and criticism, since I know I'm far from perfect. It's just that sometimes I need other People's view.

And I had none. It's sad. I would appreciate any advice or criticism you could give.

I don't need my ass licked. I just thought that the submod deserved at least some attention. Not like the South Essex, because I know mine is much simpler, but still...

you get a little touchy. but you don't have to take it personally.
i like them a lot.

the HG grenadiers are my favorite too. i am a little concerned though if they might be  overpowered
a bit. in the other hand they were nap's last reserve.

i'll give some feedback when i get back to l'aigle.

Inzunza said:
Kagestorn said:
I ask for your opinion and crtizism.

Okay.  Criticism is spelled wrong.

Well thank You, I'll fix that! However, something on the submod would be great too! :grin:

sifis172 said:
you get a little touchy. but you don't have to take it personally.
i like them a lot.

the HG grenadiers are my favorite too. i am a little concerned though if they might be  overpowered
a bit. in the other hand they were nap's last reserve.

i'll give some feedback when i get back to l'aigle.

I'm not touchy, I never said something like "You guys don't like my mod, U assholes and U suck". Didn't I?  :smile:

I only said that I really expected something more than just 1 comment in a month. L'aigle doesn't have many submods, does it?
And well, it is personal, since i have put some effort and time in it, but not "Personal" in the way You mean it.

It's just that I felt that maybe I have done something wrong, but somehow nobody wants to tell me what exactly. It felt somehow embarrassing.

Now I see, that I had to complain on small attention to actually have some attention! XD

And thanks for your comment - That's exactly what I meant! I already said in the description, that they are a little overpowered. And I actually wanted some respond, if I would need to balance them out.

The main problem is that I would want to keep them stronger than average troops, but balance it by making them very expansive both to promote and upkeep. But since L’aigle has no upkeep costs, It’s impossible. I think I could give them some upkeep cost over Doc’s design, but That’s Risky decision.

So now, I have little options. I can make them less powerful, or make them expensive.

I would like to hear yours and other’s opinion on that, and maybe – some other Ideas. I would appreciate it greatly.

You see now, that wasn’t too hard?

However, no one did it before my ”outrage”…

Why?

The vast majority of people on this forum lurk and don't post. Don't "expect" a certain amount of attention for your posts because not everybody replies to or even sees these threads.

A lot of users gloss over the "unread posts" section so if a post is made, the thread gets re-bumped and is likely to get more attention. This isn't advertising though, don't put in effort for something if you won't be happy if nobody notices it. Sometimes slaving over model editors and texture files is its own reward.  :party:

jacobhinds said:
The vast majority of people on this forum lurk and don't post. Don't "expect" a certain amount of attention for your posts because not everybody replies to or even sees these threads.

A lot of users gloss over the "unread posts" section so if a post is made, the thread gets re-bumped and is likely to get more attention. This isn't advertising though, don't put in effort for something if you won't be happy if nobody notices it. Sometimes slaving over model editors and texture files is its own reward.  :party:

I understand, I'm not here to brag like a spoiled kid.

I only wanted to mention that somehow, for example The South Essex got an Incredible amount of attention. And belive me, I understand Why. It's based on Books\series most of us know and love. In the end, a lot of people have their avatars from it!

And I don't even mention the different scale of our submods! South Essex is much Better and Bigger!

But 74 replies vs 1?

That barely seems fair for any possible reason...

jacobhinds said:
It's not some competition over who gets the most replies. If people want to reply they will, otherwise you can't force them.

For the Last time! :smile:

I never said it was a competition! I never intnded to! I just said that reciewed attention, comparing with other submod was SOMEHOW drastically low.
And that I actually got some more attention, after I posted my question.

I don't need "nice job" spam, and "be humble" is not the point here, because I only wanted to UNDERSTAND why my submod was overlooked this much.
Because This is my first submod, and even a first thread on Taleworlds at all.

And I asked you, What did I do wrong? What could I do more? Because i'm willing to.

The lack of response before looked exactly like I screwed up royally ecen though I've putted some effort into it. And I couldn't understand what exactly was the reason.
I only wanted to improve myself, and the submod with your help.

It's not about competition (since South Essex is Much better).
It's about being ignored for some reason, i wouldn't understand. That's all.

And thanks for your comments (even though they're not on submod itself)! :grin:

i recently read in "the anatomy of glory" that the guard has tremendous ammounts of gold
put in their thing. they were expensive materials that needed to give the "feeling" that they
were "imperial" troops. so they commanders gave a lot of money to that cause.

there was apparently corruption too, but napoleon had the dressing and payment of the guard
as one of his top priorities.

i don't know how you could implement this. it would need coding in my knowledge.

sifis172 said:
i recently read in "the anatomy of glory" that the guard has tremendous ammounts of gold
put in their thing. they were expensive materials that needed to give the "feeling" that they
were "imperial" troops. so they commanders gave a lot of money to that cause.

there was apparently corruption too, but napoleon had the dressing and payment of the guard
as one of his top priorities.

i don't know how you could implement this. it would need coding in my knowledge.

What you said is true of course, and I think that'a actually common for most every guard unit there was, especially in France.

But that has little to do with what I can do in this mod. I had an Idea to make them as expensive as they were, while keeping them OP, but since that's a last resort (Docm30 wouldn't appreciate doing that I suppose), I'll keep it for now.

I had an idea to redo some uniform textures, but again, since I use already existing ones, I'm not sure (yet) if that's the right way to make them looking more historically accurate...

Thanks for your reply! I must say, I have a lot of knowlege about the Imperial Guard of Napoleon, mainly from a great book by Henry Lachouqe!

But still, any advie or ideas are valuable, keep it up!  :wink:

Really nice mod, like it a lot! :grin:  (although can't wait for the new L'aigle update/version :333 )

Edit: Is there really no way possible to put it in mid-game?... Just shame that

I FCKIN LOVE THE HORSE GUARD GRENADIERS, I was not sure why doc never put them in, but I might just have to start a new game b/c these look pretty cool. I assume it's pretty simple to add this mod to the game, as I have not done tried to do that yet. The only thing I've changed was putting the battle size to 10, and it makes like 1,000 unit battles, WHICH ARE FREAKIN AWESOME LIKE SHARKS WITH LASER BEAMS!  :party:

Wow... Somebody still cared about my humble submod, After all these years - over 5000 views. I guess time takes it's toll.

Maybe I should make an update?  :cool:

Many years have passed but I'm still receiving emails due to the old links no longer working. Links are updated so enjoy but I am pretty sure there is a much better, master-crafted alternative mod out there, which also has other skins, not just grenadiers a Cheval. In all honesty you should probably use that one, it's way more professionally made compared to my humble work. I heartily recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom