2015 UNAC testing tournament!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BlackTide said:
If you're going to the effort of having a half-sensible ruleset you might as well go all the way and set the speed to medium at last.

We'll change it to medium when you admit you're Paul Krugman.

Arys said:
1000 starting gold makes the game more balanced, do you disagree? I'm interested to see how NA reacts/how they play with it.

We've been through this once before in BIT. If this is the way people want to go, don't let me stand in your way -- but I won't be playing.

I will admit, 1000 does actually make you more careful to choose what equipment you actually buy instead of buying everything pretty much maxed out on the first or 2nd round

Choices like:

Strong bow > weak armor
Strong Horse > weak lance
Heavy armor > weak shield and weapons

These choices are blurred or are not that important when you have more gold 1700-2000k 2nd round (if you win)

Shemaforash said:
The Pizza said:
Arys said:
1000 starting gold makes the game more balanced, do you disagree? I'm interested to see how NA reacts/how they play with it.

We've been through this once before in BIT. If this is the way people want to go, don't let me stand in your way -- but I won't be playing.

bye cheesepizza

BIT was 2012-2013 and did not have 2 minute flag spawns. Now I'm not saying 1000 is better, I haven't played on it enough with the newer rulesets and the more recent patches to warband to know if it is or is not better, but lets try it and see.

just sorta repeating whats already been said but,
1k gold is gross and Ruins Rebuilt is one of the worst maps i've ever had the displeasure of being forced to play in a tourney

Amaranth the Druid said:
1k gold is gross and Ruins Rebuilt is one of the worst maps i've ever had the displeasure of being forced to play in a tourney

instead of "1k gold is gross", what's actually wrong with it? I don't see how speaking against it is bad since factions are already snowballing hard with 1K, 1.2K or 1.5K that was the old standard is even worse.

EU thrives from these rules and NA is practically dust because within a round or two you do get full armor and it's nearly impossible to turn the tide unless some players pull clutch plays. I'll try it.

Amaranth the Druid said:

There are personal preferences and then there are actual problems with maps etc, nobody can tell the difference with vague statements. Need more details.

Danate said:
EU thrives from these rules and NA is practically dust because within a round or two you do get full armor and it's nearly impossible to turn the tide unless some players pull clutch plays. I'll try it.

^

Also if nobody wants to play Ruins Rebuilt then offer an alternative map you'd like to try, I'm all ears. However, 1000 gold is staying for the map testing tourney that doesn't mean it's a permanent thing and will happen in UNAC S5. The purpose of me running this tournament is to test things like that out, also if anybody has a compelling argument against 1000 gold then by all means, do share. So far all I've heard is "ogm arys i cnt buy op horse first round, wtf man".

Team Name: Akaria's Knights
Clan(s) and/or Organization(s) Representing: Akaria's Knights/ Brothers of Valor
Captain (with link to TW profile): Danate http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;u=344962
Co-Captain (with link to TW profile):OmniScare
Members (including Captain and Co-Captain) with IDs:
01) Danate: 2352647
02) Xerute: 93415
04) oodle: 1033066
05) Troubadour: 1230258
06) Firuniun: 696320
07) OmniScare: 411817
0:cool: Marge: 1343845
09) Paul Krugman: 88721
10) Lagstro: 403069
11) Surkan: 1275882
12) Ragnar: 1858524
13) Nero ID: 2137012
14) BeardFuzzz ID: 2012419
15) LongHorn ID: 417440
16) Aku/Octogon/Innocence ID: 1992024
17) Water ID: 2707697
1:cool: PPK ID: 736986
19) Nevino ID: 1860550

Will finish editing soon.

I would be for playing on medium combat speed. The animations are less 'glitchy' from my experience which leads to more sound mechanics than on fastest. I think it's worth playing on medium then getting more informed feedback after the tournament when comparing medium to fastest combat speeds.

The Pizza said:
Arys said:

It does not make the game more balanced. Nord Scouts can get free javs (as well as a hunter) and drop those stacks to infantry, while every other faction must pay 300 gold for that same advantage. Having 1200 gold on the other hand gives those other factions a chance to even the odds. Using 1000 gold in the practice run of what we hope to be a very successful UNAC 5 when we know it was extremely unpopular in BIT just seems like a waste of time and increases the chance that it won't be a successful tournament.
^ This is probably the viewpoint of more than a few.

KoA_Braveheart said:
I would be for playing on medium combat speed. The animations are less 'glitchy' from my experience which leads to more sound mechanics than on fastest. I think it's worth playing on medium then getting more informed feedback after the tournament when comparing medium to fastest combat speeds.

After playing stuck-in-the-mud Normal speed for Nations Cup the last 2 years, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. The game feels like it moves so unnaturally slow on this speed that the timing people developed playing on Fastest is very different.

Considering that I started playing the game in NA and on fastest, I can't say that I've ever experienced the difficulty in cross-over between medium and fastest.

The view that the consensus has always been in favour of not having 1k is false, the polling done by Eternal after BiT showed a clear desire for the majority of the teams of the day to stick with 1k. That tournament was one of the most balanced tournaments that NA has held, though it suffered from the misfortunate of still being on fastest.

TMW_Fiery said:
It does not make the game more balanced. Nord Scouts can get free javs (as well as a hunter) and drop those stacks to infantry, while every other faction must pay 300 gold for that same advantage. Having 1200 gold on the other hand gives those other factions a chance to even the odds. Using 1000 gold in the practice run of what we hope to be a very successful UNAC 5 when we know it was extremely unpopular in BIT just seems like a waste of time and increases the chance that it won't be a successful tournament.

Sarrandids can reasonably afford javs if you opt for the 2nd tier axe, 4th tier shield and 3rd tier helmet. Rhoddoks can also afford them but you'd be unlikely to buy them anyway as Rhoddoks due to the poor accuracy, the same goes for Vaegirs. Swadian darts don't do enough damage to be worth the expense anyhow. The reason that people in Europe don't buy throwing weapons as the other factions is not because they can't afford them but because they have low utility, you'd struggle to find someone buying javs as Rhoddoks on 1.2k.

The claims that cavalry are badly harmed by the change to 1k gold is also false and shows a complete ignorance of developments in Europe. The prevailing meta on open maps in Europe has been one of increased cavalry use, most notably AE's saddle horse cav tactics, KURWA's heavy cavalry team in the WNL finals (Cavalry players accounted for over 2/3 kills in that match and 1/3 of the deaths, roughly). The fact of the matter is that there are players in the NA community who have become too reliant on the length of their lance to secure kills than on their ability to manoeuvre their horse and time their thrusts. These players are naturally opposed to change. I have never bought a heavy lance in a competitive match to my memory and despite what you may think of my relative position against other players, I have rarely suffered because of it and have managed to play at a high level despite my ping.

A throw back from BiT, ignoring the counter-factual or revisionist outlooks that some members of the community want to cast on the tournament:

Mad Dawg said:
Those still feeling cav are inept at 1000 gold obviously haven't watched the finals match, a match that was absolutely won by cav on both maps.  Many points about the survey can be viewed in that last match.

Eternal said:
1) In a very general sense, would you say that this tournament was a success? [Y/N] Why or why not?

10 v 0
100% Y vs 0% N

Eternal said:
1) 1000 starting gold. [Keep/Remove]

8 Keep vs. 2 Remove
80% Keep vs. 20% Remove

Eternal said:
7) Which do you prefer: 1000 gold, 1500 gold, or an alternative gold setting? Why?

7 in favor of 1000 gold, 2 in favor of 1500 gold, and 0 in favor of an alternative gold setting.
77% in favor of 1000 gold, 23% in favor of 1500 gold, and 0% in favor of an alternative gold setting.

NB: This was a survey of the team captains at the time

John7 said:
I'd be glad to play on medium, its so much easier to do everything except EU fients and spazzing out

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB8gTAW4AL4
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh8-bU48v1g

The clans that ultimately caused the biggest fuss after BiT were the clans that did worse than they expected to do and subsequently moved to create a schism in the community. I too was lobbying for 1.5k gold back in the day which is a decision that I regret, though I don't think that I was awfully influential in shaping any opinions. The community was heading in the right direction back in 2013, it's a shame that it's taken a further 2 years to get it back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom