How many two handed weapons are there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sorry mate, history police confiscated fun before releasing the mod.
There is a pictish sword but near impossible to find outside the cheat menu.

Coruskane said:
really?

I would have thought two-handed axes were at least in theme if not historically accurate.

Nope! People back then never thought of the incredibly complex idea of putting an axehead on a longer handle. Not a single person ever came up with it. Too busy farming.
People also never threw their axes, ever. Or wore anything that wasn't one of three colors and designs.

Grimes said:
Coruskane said:
really?

I would have thought two-handed axes were at least in theme if not historically accurate.

Nope! People back then never thought of the incredibly complex idea of putting an axehead on a longer handle. Not a single person ever came up with it. Too busy farming.
People also never threw their axes, ever. Or wore anything that wasn't one of three colors and designs.

lol

You know what else is a really simple idea? Plate armour. They even had it in Mycenaean Greece! How come no one in the 9th century came up with it?

hrotha said:
You know what else is a really simple idea? Plate armour. They even had it in Mycenaean Greece! How come no one in the 9th century came up with it?

Because the process of making plate armor and the resources required is entirely analogous with affixing an already existing axehead to a slightly longer piece of wood. Yep.

hrotha said:
Alright then. How come they didn't have pikes?

We don't even know how long viking spear shafts were in the first place. Besides which it's irrelevant since people aren't even asking for these weapons to be given to your rank-and-file troops, just to have one available to use for themselves.

Tovias said:
hrotha said:
For what?
What do you mean, "for what"? Are you implying they would have required a reason stemming from the specific military circumstances of the time to feel the need to develop a pre-existing weapon in such a seemingly obvious way?
Grimes said:
We don't even know how long viking spear shafts were in the first place. Besides which it's irrelevant since people aren't even asking for these weapons to be given to your rank-and-file troops, just to have one available to use for themselves.
A pike is more than a long spear. And I disagree that it's irrelevant. I don't see why adding something that the devs feel would be out of place should be fine if it's restricted only to the player's character.

zackgreco said:
Breaking shields? Taking down doors? cutting trees?
The point of pikes was for cavalry, cavalry warfare wasn't really a thing back then, and even then, spears could be as long as they wanted to.

hrotha said:
A pike is more than a long spear. And I disagree that it's irrelevant. I don't see why adding something that the devs feel would be out of place should be fine if it's restricted only to the player's character.

From what I understand a "long spear" is -exactly- what a pike is.
How would it be "out of place"? Most people here were expecting them. They're dismissing the possibility entirely out of a lack of evidence, which is ridiculous since evidence of it wouldn't even be likely to survive. I believe they used the same justification for gambesons anyways.

But no, we need the utmost of historical authenticity! Only things that we KNOW for SURE existed can be allowed in this game! For example, trolls and their clubs!

Grimes said:
But no, we need the utmost of historical authenticity! Only things that we KNOW for SURE existed can be allowed in this game! For example, trolls and their clubs!
Alas history has no space for assumptions, ain't that right? Only barely recovered facts!

Grimes said:
hrotha said:

This. If you really have to stick historical stuff just allow things in shops that might have been possible. Hell, there is an NPC in the game from Greece who has expert knowledge of engineering. Wonder what he could come up with.

Grimes said:
From what I understand a "long spear" is -exactly- what a pike is.
How would it be "out of place"? Most people here were expecting them. They're dismissing the possibility entirely out of a lack of evidence, which is ridiculous since evidence of it wouldn't even be likely to survive. I believe they used the same justification for gambesons anyways.
Pikes are two-handed weapons, spears you can wield on one hand.

The devs have already explained why it'd be out of place according to the opinion of their historical advisor. I have yet to see a proper source being put forward to challenge their view. Gambesons, meanwhile, are based on the idea that you can't wear mail without some sort of padding. Yes, gambesons in the mod are an inference, like two-handed axes would have been - that doesn't mean the devs have to go with all possible inferences or feel they're all equally likely.

hrotha said:
Pikes are two-handed weapons, spears you can wield on one hand.

The reason being that they're too long to use in one hand...thus a pike is a longer spear. Lol.

The devs have already explained why it'd be out of place according to the opinion of their historical advisor. I have yet to see a proper source being put forward to challenge their view. Gambesons, meanwhile, are based on the idea that you can't wear mail without some sort of padding. Yes, gambesons in the mod are an inference, like two-handed axes would have been - that doesn't mean the devs have to go with all possible inferences or feel they're all equally likely.

The explanation of which came down to "we don't know if they had them or not so we're just going to assume they didn't." Which itself is an inference.  :roll:

Back
Top Bottom