Hit Points for Weapon

Users who are viewing this thread

I believe weapon durability would be a great feature to add, but I believe it should be handled the same way as shields and ammo are handled now. If your weapon is damaged or broken during a fight, then it is repaired sometime in between battles while you camp. I also believe weapon durability would add some balance to lances - a couched lance shouldn't be able to withstand so many blows without breaking in my opinion. I don't believe you should have to take the time to repair or seek out someone to repair your weapon. This kind of detail isn't seen when dealing with other aspects of the game and would just be an annoyance factor to most people.

Great Ideas.  Would be one of many additions I would love to see implemented into the game.  It would also be cool if weapons got stuck in an enemy's skull and depended upon player strength to remove.  I think I read that somewhere, not sure if it was on this topic.  Anyway, I think it should work like shields or horses..if a weapon gets destroyed during battle it would have a % chance to be degraded one level.  Armor also for that matter, every time you get knocked out your armor should degrade.  IMO.

Maybe wooden weapons could have hit points but weapons made of steel can be indestructible, steel shields to. Leather or wooden shields should still have hit points.

this should come with ability to repair your weapon: it breaks u have to take it to the smith to fix it, it would be nice seeing the same for armors, and as long as the guy has a high skill in engineering and tools in the inventory, he should be able to fix them himself... that's my 2 cents on the matter

I_am_a_Spoon said:
Qwertyman said:
^  its wood on wood,  and as said- the force of the blow is mostly deflected.
a staff (well, a staff designed for combat) is pretty damned sturdy,  its not going to break if you know what you are doing.

to expand on what is said above:  the blocking (and overall combat) system is an abstracted version of real life.  it would be impossible to fully simulate the massive complexities that go on during a fight,  so its simplified down.

true, if you just put your staff in the way of an incoming greataxe strike, its going to take a hell of a lot of damage-    but, if you were to deflect the blow away at the corect angle, with the correct technique,  the axe strike is simply going to go off in a harmless direction, leaving the staff completely unharmed from the collision.

Just like you arent only going to use 4 directions to attack from in real life, you arent going to block every strike with the same technique in real life.

Looks like skills and/or weapon proficiencies could come into play then.

For example, a master swordsman would know how to deflect and counter an incoming blow without harming or losing his own weapon, whereas a recruit wouldn't have that same level of expertise and experience. Therefor it makes sense for a soldier who knows how to parry with his sword (ie, weapon proficiency 180 with One-Handed Weapons) to expose his blade to less harm than a soldier with little skill (ie, weapon proficiency 20 with One-Handed Weapons). The "Weapon Master" skill could also factor into this.

I agree that a "health and damage" system similar to the shield's would work well. During battle, weapons would take 'damage' (representing notches, fractures, bluntened edges, structural weaknesses, etc). As the weapon takes damage, it is less capable of inflicting damage in return, and loses effectiveness over time. Should the weapon's hitpoints reach zero, it will "downgrade" a rank (ie, become chipped, battered, bent, cracked, etc), and there should be a chance that it will break outright (in which case it's gone for good). Should the character reach the end of a battle without his weapon reaching zero hitpoints, then it is fully repaired (in the same way as a shield; it's assumed that the character has tended to his weapons after the battle, and fixed any damage sustained during the fight).

It'd also be great if unskilled troops could be disarmed by enemy strikes, should they attempt to parry overwhelming blows or duel more skilled opponents. For example, a swordsman could parry with another swordsman and not face much risk of being disarmed, but should he try to parry a strike from an enemy wielding a two-handed battle axe, then he puts his weapon in danger and risks having it knocked right out of his hands. Aside from upping the ante in the realism department, this would also introduce new strategies and deepen gameplay. For example, a fight between a swordsman and a maceman: instead of the standard 'hack, slash and block' techniques, it becomes a game of speed vs. power. No longer would lightly armed troops be able to thump it out with heavily-armed enemies, as they can now.

Sorry about the wall of text, but these are concepts that I believe would work really well within M&B, both enhancing gameplay and forcing the player to think about which weapons he or she wants to use.

As a matter of fact, with the implementation of a system that understands the material and kindo f weapon it would turn into another possibility, never the less, weapon mastery and high agility should decrease dmg weapons take from blocking quite a lot up til it takes no dmg at all depending on the weapon, that being said, I think all of this is possible with 4 directions attacks, if they were to add the hit detection War of the Roses has, it would be even more simple, btw, M&B already has parry, and parry is a blocking technique which requires lots of skill and timing, and, parry should never do dmg to weapons

If weapons can break in bannerlord I hope you have the chance to repair it at the blacksmith so its not just gone forever. Oh yeah I totally agree weapons should have hitpoints because of realistic reasons.

Rebel King said:
Oh yeah I totally agree weapons should have hitpoints because of realistic reasons.

But weapons dont really take damage in a hitpoint type fassion. An axe or sword might break straight away if you throw all of your weight onto it, but if you are parrying correctly it will stand up to multiple thousands of blows, with nothing to show from it except a few scratches and a blunt spot here or there which can be fixed right up in five mins. Axes and spears take more damage (thanks to the wood) but replacing the shaft is such an easy job it's sort of factored under the same 'retrieve and mend' of screen banner than refilling quivers and shields are. (Shield repaid is a much bigger issue, but since they were historically cheap I've always interpreted the game as selling you a big stack of them, which you patch as you can).

Agree with this, especially 'blunt/dented/chipped' for weapon vs weapon blocks. On 2nd thoughts, 'blunt' could be applied after a certain amount of strikes vs shield/armour. Dented vs armour and weapon blocks, and chipped vs weapon blocks, and occasionally armour. (Also, these effects should occur during combat, not after combat) - which would encourage people to drop their blunt blade in favor of a new weapon.... but also, if you lose the combat - you should lose the weapon you dropped during combat, as the enemy now controls the field.

Each of these effects would require a different skill/level of skill  (and/or resources) to repair. Just a whetstone for blunted weapons, but engineering (or smithying as a new skill) to repair dented weapons, and a combination of those two+a town (access to a forge) for chipped weapons.

I would like to see this go one further, and apply a new skill (Smithying... Smythying?)... and allow one to create new weapons from resources (tools and Iron) And also the possibility to upgrade weapons from the base, so that a master smith might have a chance of creating a legendary weapon - albeit a small chance.

So someone who begins life as a blacksmith might have the possibilty (with the right resources) to upgrade their weapon from base to tempered, masterwork, legendary, etc - based on resources and skill level.

Maybe not make weapons destructible but make it so that they have to be constantly maintained to prevent them becoming dull.

As multiple posters previously pointed out, combat in M&B is just an extrapolation of the real thing, no sane soldier with two braincells to rub together would bash you over the head with a sword, you would just damage your sword and not really do any harm to the enemy because your strike would be deflected by his helmet, also you would not put your shield down to attack with your sword, you keep your shield up and parry with an edge, not with flat side of it, and you attack and try to get around your opponents shield with your own weapon, as for blocking with a sword, you would not do that either if you were smart, especially not with the edge, you parry with flat end and deflect the blow, even with wood it would only cause minimal damage, and you use your sword to get into weak points in the armor, not bash against it like a madman.

Winterwolf00 said:
Maybe not make weapons destructible but make it so that they have to be constantly maintained to prevent them becoming dull.

I really love the idea of that. Maybe perhaps if you keep at it in the forge you can upgrade the weapon to be Masterwork or Balanced or something

Back
Top Bottom