Captain Lust's WNL Key Match Preview - Week 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Lust's WNL Key Match Preview - Week 9                           

Legend vs Sons of the Emperor - Week 9 Match Preview

[size=10pt]  Legend win their 5th match in a row and make a challenge certain to ignite interest across the board. Will the new top French team have what it takes to bring down this Sons of the Emperor side that has been so consistent this season.

There was a suspicion that Legend were seeking out Renegades in this week's pick to prove themselves against their countrymen (note: Legend are primarily but not entirely a French team). With RNGD's departure, their intentions became unclear but their ambition never fell into doubt. Picking SoE means intent to start cutting heads off the top teams and they can be given for not starting with Apis Europae.

For SoE, it's a result they'll not be too disappointed with, as they were probably expecting to be left with AE at the end of the pick. SoE finished all square against Saracens last week, in a match they might have thought they were the favourites to win. The affair was close and bloody throughout, as delays frustrated both teams. SoE however will resent having lost the match in the final round when they came so close.

Two or three weeks ago, this wouldn't even be a contest but with Peter returning (Blalola) for Legend and rumours of Tobi in there as well, Legend have the potential to threaten anyone. Both of these players are defined by their raw talent and fiery nature. They've been credited with the previous (not recent) downfall of RNGD as their defiance and arrogance can make them hard to lead. However their in game ability is held in reverence by the entire scene and other top players in particular. This week will test how much of their ability remains in a competitive environment against a team that is highly organised and skilled, in SoE. IG, while strong themselves, are less of a threat than they have been in the past and the 10-6 result still leaves question marks over the strength of Legend as at team right now. What are Legend doing to control these players, how long will it last before some frustrations kick in and will their morale hold up when it does?

Sons of the Emperor showed weakness against SRC's outstanding horsemen and it's hard to doubt Peter will be a challenge for them. Their saving grace this week could be the maps and factions. Fort of Honour is not a cav map. There's plenty of high ground and it's overall a very closed affair, living up strongly to the nature of a closed maps. Khudan Outskirts is also especially close quarters for an open map and SoE will have a chance there to use their ranged strength and neutralise the mounted threat. We'll have to find out on the day though and both sides are capable of surpassing expectations.

I'm going to give it to Legend. The maps aren't ideal for horsemen but Peter's good enough to make it work and if Tobi's in there too, I just can't see SoE being prepared to deal with what's coming to them.

Saracens vs Fearless Immortal Noobs - Week 9 Match Preview

Fearless Immortal Noobs not only beat their previous opponents of Heroes, they demolished them in a 14-2 landslide. Heroes made all kinds of mistakes relating to flags and made some terrible decisions throughout the match but this was a solid showing for FIN. It's a match they needed after having been the extra-points whipping boy for CoR and IG.

The pick was probably a no brainer for Saracens, expecting FIN to be of a lower level than CoR or AE right now.

SRC looked dangerous against SoE in week 8 with awesome perfomances by Dominique and Trebron especially. CarpeDiem felt the team was capable of even more though and his ambition resembles that of a potential champion. Their decision making wasn't perfect but they put in a good showing against a fiendishly powerful team.

Honestly the reality is that SRC are playing on a higher level than FIN are right now. FIN will have to find salvation in the relatively closed map pool for their powerful infantry to do work. FIN are a team that plays with a lot more confidence than SRC and this will work to their advantage. Big fights on Fort of Honour can go either way and a lot of the time just having the confidence to push into your opponent can take you the round. While I don't see SRC getting whitewashed here, I can't see SRC taking more than 3 rounds. SRC's victory will rely on good preparation and knowledge of Khudan Outskirts to take the comfortable win that's expected of them.

SRC are going to win this. They'll need to really melt their melee engagements to give this match away.

Kharakternyky vs Druzhina - Week 9 Match Preview

[size=10pt]  A storm is brewing in the east. Ukraine meets Russia in this mid-table clash and sparks are bound to fly.

The headline here is the transfer of Bendetto from Kharakternyky to Druzhina. He had been a key player for KHR throughout their early successful period with a particularly strong performance against IG and his loss will hit them hard. Having to face him in the league is just salt in the wound. These teams met only two weeks ago (Week 7) when DRZ won a close 9-7 victory after three straight losses. DRZ are now on a two match winning streak while KHR haven't found points in any of their last three matches.

DRZ already had a good squad and a star player in Volky who has been shining bright this season. No doubt KHR will be looking for revenge though and if they're to find it, they'll have to look to their mounted threat which lies in the talents of R1CH and Chonyi Voron. They're capable of winning cav battles and know how to support their team. In addition their experience together makes the duo a formidable challenge that DRZ are going to need an answer for.

What's really needed for KHR though is the hunger. They're the only team with more than one draw and they have a reputation of a team that simply cannot handle the pressure. Their recent perfomances do not inspire much faith in their motivation either but the fact they challenged DRZ indicates intent. Additionally as a level 1 team, over 3 points behind a level 2 opponent, they stand to gain 5 points if they win. They are taking this seriously.

Coming back though, it's realistic to say that Bendetto will be nothing short of devastating on Fort of Honour (some of you may remember these antics) and KHR are just unlikely to be able to match DRZ on quality.

Unless Khudan Outskirts plays out unexpectedly fluid and open then KHR just won't have anything to deal with DRZ's suprerior players. DRZ win - again.

full article written by @captainlust

[td]
5620582193_07207bc789_o.png
[/td]

In first preview you wrote about "helpless DRZ side", this time you write about "DRZ quality" and "superior players" in comparison with one of the strongest "eastern" clan and that's what really makes me feel even more satisfacted with the result our team obtained so far.
Anyway, only match will show if you are wrong or not.

Also, good luck, SoE :wink:

Thanks for saying nice things everyone.

Honestly I think if CoR hadn't done the whole recruit spam thing, I'd have previewed their match. Recruiting 5 players in one week for an 8vs8 tournament isn't likely to do them much good and I think AE will just brush them aside.

Captain Lust said:

Honestly I think if CoR hadn't done the whole recruit spam thing, I'd have previewed their match. Recruiting 5 players in one week for an 8vs8 tournament isn't likely to do them much good and I think AE will just brush them aside.
"The #1 team fighting the #4 team is not a key match because people applied to join the CoR team."

10/10, nice going

Arch3r said:
Captain Lust said:

"The #1 team fighting the #4 team is not a key match because people applied to join the CoR team."

10/10, nice going

He he ^^

I don't claim this to be anything other than my subjective opinion. Right now I'm not expecting anything interesting or unexpected from CoR AE and I don't really see it as a key match.

3 more points for AE.

EDIT: I basically see key matches as those which will answer questions about where teams stand in terms of strength. That's the best description of my arbitrary selection process.

Captain Lust said:
I don't claim this to be anything other than my subjective opinion. Right now I'm not expecting anything interesting or unexpected from CoR AE and I don't really see it as a key match.
Noone's questioning that. What can be questioned though is your reasoning (and that's what Arch3r did):
Captain Lust said:
That people, who may or may not play, applied for CoR has no possible negative influence on CoR's performance in the upcoming match. Maybe one of those is a keyplayer, who are obviously important to you, considering that you mainly predict the performances of Legend and DRZ due to their new player(s).

Captain Lust said:

Except, CoR hasn't recruited 5 players in a week. Though it is true that CoR has been getting a lot of new recruits in the past few weeks.

In any case, that reasoning seems really silly to me.

Shemaforash said:
Wow, ridiculous that you're even complaining about it.

Captain Lust brought it up bro, I don't think that anyone cared beforehand, nor have the posts been complaining about the exclusion of CoR but simply Captain Lust's assertion regarding CoR's possible performance.

No need to get all hot and flustered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom