SP Fantasy The Oblivion Crisis - A TES4 Mod - Looking for team

Users who are viewing this thread

Alobomb

Recruit
Hello everyone! I am Alobomb, and I have very little idea how to mod. Now that may seem like a strange starting sentence, no matter how true it is, but I say it because I am trying to find other people who are beginning, or would like to begin, modding Mount and Blade Warband with myself. This project will be hopefully both 1. A fun mod based on the fourth Elder Scrolls Game and 2. A way for me and others to work together and gather experience on how to mod.

Anyway, I'm currently looking for anyone who wishes to join at this time, however modellers, texturers and those who want to be those would be greatly appreciated, I have tried my hand at both myself and know it can take a bit of a knack.

Anyway, to the fluff.

It is the Four Hundred and Thirty Third year of the Fifth Century of the Third Age of Tamriel. Uriel Septim VII and all known heirs have been assassinated by a Daedra Cult calling themselves the "Mythic Dawn". Not a week later a series of huge gates to the hellish domain of Oblivion appears outside the Imperial City of Kvatch. Out of these comes a frothing horde of Daedra and a giant siege engine. This marks the beginning of what is know as The Oblivion Crisis.

However, all of this is unknown to you, as your immigrant ship, out of touch with the world for several months, docks in the port city of Anvil.

The Daedra are coming. The Emperors Line is dead. The Imperial Legion Fights a hopeless battle. Will you be the one to stay the Daedra invasion while the lonely prisoner unravels this mystery? Will you seek the Mythic Dawn yourself and be a servant to the Daedra? Will you be a bandit to feed on the poor while the Imperial Legion is destroyed?
Your Destiny is your to choose in the...
Oblivion Crisis

I have not done much to be entirely honest, I have coded most of several tech trees, but am waiting to either find out how to port Weapons and Armour from Oblivion or to preferably find a modeler or texturer who is willing to help.
As more gets down I will put a completion list down.

Thank you for reading and I hope you support me in this.

Well he stated that this mod is more for learning how to mod. Which is a good idea.

Two things.

One: Do NOT port models and textures from Oblivion. There is a bit of a problem with legality, and it's better not to open that can of worms. Take time to learn to model and texture. Should be easier since there are a lot of references to collect on.

Two: For a mod like this you need to make map asap. That draws in a LOT more players.

and I have very little idea how to mod

Turn around and come back from whence ye' came. Or, alternatively, stick around and learn to mod a little for yourself rather than asking for other people to chip in and help.

Don't get me wrong; people will help and lend assistance if you genuinely need it. You must help yourself to expect help from others.

I don't quite understand why people want to play other games in M&B. If you want to play Oblivion, why not play Oblivion? Also, if this is your first mod, you should do something less ambitious. Release a smaller mod so people take you seriously and you can build up your credentials, then once you have that under your belt you can start to even consider making a mod of this level. Are you planning on including magic?

QuailLover said:
Well he stated that this mod is more for learning how to mod. Which is a good idea.

Two things.

One: Do NOT port models and textures from Oblivion. There is a bit of a problem with legality, and it's better not to open that can of worms. Take time to learn to model and texture. Should be easier since there are a lot of references to collect on.

Two: For a mod like this you need to make map asap. That draws in a LOT more players.
Firstly, thanks for the advice for the porting models, that makes sense and it would suck if something like that happened. Secondly, thanks for the advice on making a map first, I can see how that would draw more people in and I will begin working on that soon.

Eiríkr Rauði said:
and I have very little idea how to mod

Turn around and come back from whence ye' came. Or, alternatively, stick around and learn to mod a little for yourself rather than asking for other people to chip in and help.

Don't get me wrong; people will help and lend assistance if you genuinely need it. You must help yourself to expect help from others.
I have been lurking for a while, browsing around mods and mod topics, however this is the first time I have actually tried and I do not want to do this alone. As stated in the main post, though I am sure I will ask for help several times in the course of this I am looking for other people like myself who want to begin modding but have, for whatever reason, decided no to try yet. This is intended as a collaboration between any new people or those who have been lurking so we can share experience.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
I don't quite understand why people want to play other games in M&B. If you want to play Oblivion, why not play Oblivion? Also, if this is your first mod, you should do something less ambitious. Release a smaller mod so people take you seriously and you can build up your credentials, then once you have that under your belt you can start to even consider making a mod of this level. Are you planning on including magic?
As for the wanting to play other games in M&B, it's mainly (in my opinion) because the mechanics are so different. You can do many things in M&B that you can't in other games and vice versa. I guess this is rather ambitious for a first mod, it probably would have been a better idea to start smaller like you said. As for magic...I should have started smaller shouldn't I have?

Thanks for the responses, I'm considering potentially abandoning this and starting smaller, it would leave a sour taste in my mouth, and (judging by other forums I frequent) potentially lower the communites respect for me, I probably will soon. However I will wait another day or so to see what anyone else says

I like the Idea and your determination on trying to start moding (im still in that point my self)

mabye we can help eachother out :smile: iam currently learning how to model items like wepons and such pm me if you wish to calaberate more.

Well I wouldn't say totally give up on this mod. You could still work on a TES mod. Just narrow the focus down a bit, and so when you come back to this mod, you could have potentially a quarter of the models and locations already done.

I remember way back when I first started playing M&B back in '06, my first post was a suggestion for a Tamriel mod. When I realized what a silly idea that was, I went into hiding and rarely posted until the Warband beta got rolling.

What I'm trying to say is, this is just a phase we all go through at some point. If you want to keep up with it, feel free. In all probability however, you will be disappointed with the result, if there even is one.

My take is that if you've been lurking for a while and want to do stuff, that's great.

However.

1.  Working with Bethsoft's concepts, images and names, let alone art rips, exposes you legally.  It's not a great idea; if you got it built after a year of hard work and it was great, you'd get a C&D for a prize; Bethsoft does not appreciate competition.

2.  Using something like that as the source pretty much enforces that you do XYZ (a giant list) of design and coding things, let alone content, before players will give you kudos; basically, you've chosen something that would require a large team of reliable experts to assemble.

As an alternative, I'd suggest that perhaps you could build some magic code and start a basic fantasy mod.  Just writing a magic system that players (let alone AI) can use will be complicated enough that it will take a lot of work.  This engine isn't really designed very well for magic, but you can do it with some work and patience.  For example, you can design a magic system that uses special "guns" as the "magic staves"; each gun would execute different code when fired, or their shots would.  Code for how to make "guns" behave in special ways, use special animation and generally act in new ways can be found in Blood and Steel's source code, which comes with every release; feel free to read it and use it for whatever you wish.

Elric_de_Melnibone said:
I used to like the idea of Oblivion mods, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Oh lol  :grin:

But personally I don't think that this is impossible: look at Warhammer Fantasy Grim Age mod  :wink:

Elric_de_Melnibone said:
I used to like the idea of Oblivion mods, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

haha. Oh inside jokes...

internet-memes-y-u-no-knee-armor.jpg

listen up bud.
First: Welcome : ) I'm a TES fan, so i hope this turns out great!
Second: Don't let any critics make you stop wanting to learn. If you have faith in yourself, others will have faith in you.
Third: Don't beg for help, that's like digging your own grave. You must be prepeard to be able to do this alone, and if people like the idea, they will help shape it.
Fourth: If this turns out to work, i will in the future give you the codes and models (atleast those usable for your mod) from Magic is Might. But we'll see what the future brings.
Fifth: Good luck!

Why don't you just do a smaller part of the Elder Scrolls lore and have a specific scenario? For instance: you could go back in time and do about the battle of Hammerfell (Forebears vs. loyalists vs. imperials) or you could do about the tribal warfare that always happens in black marsh (Dont know much about that really, could be making it up), hell, you could do something totally different within the elder scrolls universe and do about the akaviri lands (dont think they actually mapped out there, open to design), the possibilities are endless.

But whatever you do, don't do about oblivion.

Or you could do that battle of Red-Mountain:  which would make things more variatized and interesting. . Just a thought. 

EsoptrosOer said:
Or you could do that battle of Red-Mountain:  which would make things more variatized and interesting. . Just a thought.
If he wants to do a mod based on the Oblivion crisis, I don't think he has played much of Morrowind. Do something about the aftermath of the crisis rather then Oblivion(ugh) all over again. Either way, good luck.

Oblivion or to preferably find a modeler or texturer who is willing to help.
My advice is to learn how to model and texture.

Back
Top Bottom