Tips for new players

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, everyone. This will be here to help out people who haven't played before.

Part I: Bots
The server won't always have bots on it, but when it does be sure to check at least one of the boxes in the equipment screen. That will give you command of your share of bots, based on the troop types you've selected. After that, anyone who has played singleplayer should know how to give them orders. The keys 1, 2 and 3 select which group you want to give the order to (the 0 key selects them all), then the F1, F2 and F3 keys open up a variety of related commands. F1 through F6 then give that command to the selected group of bots.

It's typically a good idea to press F3 then F1 as soon as your bots spawn, to make them hold their fire. You should probably also press F1 then F2 to tell them to follow you instead of charging wildly. Also keep in mind that bots are stupid. Like, seriously brain-damaged. They can do anything from blatantly ignoring your orders to moonwalking to the battlefield, so keep an eye on them. When people are wanting to do "line battles" all this is even more important.

Part II: Weapons
Part 2.1: Muskets
Muskets are pretty straightforward. They're the biggest and most accurate firearms in the mod, but they can't be used on horseback and you can't move while reloading them. The ones with bayonets also make good spears. :grin:

Part 2.2: Pistols
Pistols are just little muskets, obviously. They're much less accurate than the other weapons, but they can be fire from horseback and you can move around while reloading. Plus, if you're REALLY caught in a fix, you can press X and use your pistol as a club.

Part 2.3: Carbines
Carbines are somewhere in between muskets and pistols. Their accuracy is less than that of a musket, but better than a pistol. They can be used on horseback, but you can't move while reloading.

Part 2.4: Swords
We've all played Mount & Blade, so I think we all know how swords work. They make much better melee weapons than the firearms, but aren't as long, so they aren't as good against cavalry.

Part 2.5: Grenades
This mod doesn't have those. Go away.

Part III: Units
Each faction has an infantryman, a light horseman and a heavy horseman. The infantry are the only ones who get full-sized muskets, but they don't have access to horses. The light horseman (usually a dragoon) gets better ranged equipment than the heavy horseman, but worse horses and slightly worse swords. As you may have guessed, the heavy horseman is the troop type that focuses on melee. They get good horses and swords but are limited to pistols, instead of the carbines that the light horsemen have.

Part IV: Artillery
Operating artillery requires several things. You'll need to get a horse with a cannon, a suitable box of cannonballs and a ramrod. The process can be accomplished by one person, but it would be very difficult, considering you can only spawn with one piece of artillery equipment each round.

In order to get a cannon, you must first choose the item in your equipment selection. Then wheel it around to wherever you want and dismount the horse to detach the cart. To load the cannon with a projectile, you must first put down the correct box of ammunition (3-lb balls for a 3-lb cannon, 6-lb for a 6-lber, and so on). After that, get a cannonball from the box and load it into the barrel. Ramming it down is even simpler. To do so, just spawn with a ramrod and "use" the cannon once it's loaded up with a ball. Aiming doesn't require any special equipment. Just make sure you're not wielding any other artillery equipment, use the cannon, and then press the arrow keys on your keyboard to aim left and right. Firing is accomplished by taking out your fists and using the cannon (it fires immediately; no need to wait for the bar to finish).

Part V: Other Stuff
Crouch by pressing Q. Press O to cheer. Block with your fists to surrender. That is all.

Part VI: Etiquette
You can mostly just use common sense for this one, but there are a couple things I would like to say.

Firstly, when people are dueling, don't interrupt them. It's not nice. If you've never been to a duel server, you can try to call a duel with someone by up-blocking at them. If they up-block back at you, you're in a duel with that person.

Secondly, if you're the last person, DO NOT RUN AWAY. Seriously. I shouldn't have to say that. It's even worse if you're on a horse.

Part VII: No more parts left

That's all I have to say for now. Check back here though, as I might think of something else. Or just tell me about something that I forgot.

Nice tips, and good job mentioning that the bots like to moonwalk to the battlefield. So unprofessional of them!

I approve this thread. Please be notin that me and me crew will shoot duelers though cause we are pirates and have very little honor. Yarr!!

In players vs players, bushes and other places where you cant be seen are your friends. You can fire, retreat to safety, and reload in peace. Repeat until done.

Lord Donar said:
Muskets cover rifles here. (if the mod has rifles cant remember)

Prussian Jaegirs :smile:

Pah wouldn't count a Rifle as a musket :p Was only a joke anyway :wink:

Lord Donar said:
:joke or not musket=rifle in WB no matther how awesome your jeagir thingy is :lol:

Rifles are not muskets. And their are no muskets in the real WB anyways.

Muskets have their own characteristics by definition(muzzle-loaded, smooth bore long gun, fired from the shoulder) and rifles have their own(a barrel that has a helical groove or pattern of grooves ("rifling") cut into the barrel walls).

Back
Top Bottom