NECROLORD - A fast-paced boardgame for any number of players!

Users who are viewing this thread

N0ught

Sergeant Knight at Arms
NECROLORD is a boardgame I designed to be the next "collectible" game. ANY number of people can play, and when a player needs to leave the game before they are defeated, they may write down their counter scores and come back to the same or other games later. Just sit down, distribute your counters, adjust your month counter, and you are ready to play!

Maybe I can get this published someday. Just like other "collectible" games (Magic: the Gathering, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.) the rules seem complex at first, but become second nature inside of a half hour of play. In any case, I mailed myself a copy of the rules and board (poor man's patent), so I am covered legally as the sole owner of the game, and this is the first time I have posted it anywhere. If any of you are interested in producing this as a boardgame, send me a personal message. An income would be nice right now.

I mentioned that this game inspired Solid and Shade, and essentially it did. During the time I wrote it I had a really crappy computer, and I was bored with the games I did have, and wanted to make something new. This was before I truly discovered Mount & Blade - I had seen it listed on the "Home of the Underdogs" website for underrated games (beware if you visit the site - it is rife with spyware...), and I tried it on my computer, but the faces went to "spikeface hellpolys". It wasn't pretty, and I gave up on it for a while. Later I would upgrade and become a modder, but at that time I wanted something dark and twisted to play, and this is the result. Read the instructions CAREFULLY before playing, and by all means post your experiences and feedback about the game here. :mrgreen:

*** First of all, here is the board. Each player must have their own board...

Color:

Printer-Friendly Black & White:

*** What you will also need:

~ Scratch paper.
~ LOTS of counters - popcorn kernels or pennies work well. It is best for each person to have different counters, but it really doesn't matter.
~ At least one six-sided dice - many more is better.
~ 20 playing cards - simple poker playing cards work fine if you can sacrifice them for the game. On each is written a +1 or -1 to Land, Age, Necromancy, Tactics, Minions, Hordes, Reagents, Supplies, Fame and Gold, totalling 20 cards.

*** Start of Game:

~ Place 18 counters on Age
- Age cannot be reduced below 15.

~ Place 1 counter each on Necromancy and Tactics
- Necromancy and Tactics cannot be reduced below 0.
- If skill reaches 5, two dice are used to roll. If skill reaches 10, three dice are used, etc.
- Skill rolls succeed if the result is less than or equal to the target skill level + or – modifiers.

~ Place 10 counters on Land
- Land cannot be reduced below 0.
- If Land is 0 at the end of a turn the Lich is defeated.

~ Place 10 counters on Gold
- Gold cannot be reduced below 0.
- Each counter represents 100 Gold.

~ Do not place any counters on Fame, Hordes, Minions, Reagents and Supplies
- Fame, Hordes, Minions, Reagents and Supplies cannot be reduced below 0.
- You cannot attack or be attacked if both Hordes and Minions are 0.

~ Place 1 counter on January (Jan).
- This counter is used to keep track of the month of the year.

*** Play:

~ Players roll 1d to see who goes first. Lowest roll wins; ties re-roll.

~ During their turn a player may choose one of the following actions:

~~~ Dark Research

* Study: Add 1 counter to Necromancy. Remove 3 counters from Gold. If there are less than 3 counters on Gold this action cannot be taken.

OR

* Practical: Add 1d-4 counters to Necromancy. Draw 1 card and add or remove counters as directed.

~~~ Combat Training

* Study: Add 1 counter to Tactics. Remove 3 counters from Gold. If there are less than 3 counters on Gold this action cannot be taken.

OR

* Practical: Add 1d-4 counters to Tactics. Draw 1 card and add or remove counters as directed.

~~~ Acquire Reagents

* Buy: Add 1 counter to Reagents. Remove 2 counters from Gold. If there are less than 2 counters on Gold this action cannot be taken.

OR

* Scavenge: Add 1d-4 counters to Reagents. Draw 1 card and add or remove counters as directed.

~~~ Gather Supplies

* Buy: Add 1 counter to Supplies. Remove 2 counters from Gold. If there are less than 2 counters on Gold this action cannot be taken.

OR

* Scavenge: Add 1d-4 counters to Supplies. Draw 1 card and add or remove counters as directed.

~~~ Raise Undead Hordes

* Remove 1 counter from Reagents. If there is less than 1 counter on Reagents this action cannot be taken.
- Roll versus Necromancy, at +1 for each counter on Age greater than 25.
- If the roll is a success add 1 counter to Hordes and remove 1 counter from Gold.
- If the roll fails, the turn ends.

~~~ Hire Living Minions

* Remove 1 counter from Supplies. If there is less than 1 counter on Supplies this action cannot be taken.
- Roll versus Tactics, at +1 for each counter on Fame.
- If the roll is a success add 1 counter to Minions and remove 1 counter from Gold.

~~~ Attack

* Remove 1 counter from Land.
- Choose either Hordes or Minions. Roll versus Necromancy (if attacking with Hordes) or Tactics (if attacking with Minions), at + or – the difference between your Land and opponent’s Land.
- If the roll is a success your opponent chooses one of the following:

* Parley: Opponent removes 1 counter from Gold. Add 1 counter to your Gold and 1 counter to your Land. The turn ends.

OR

* Defend: Opponent removes 1 counter from Land. Opponent rolls versus Necromancy (if defending with Hordes) or Tactics (if defending with Minions), at + or – the difference between your Land counters and opponent’s Land counters.
- If the opponent’s roll fails, add 2 counters to your Land, 1 counter to Fame, and 1 counter to attacking skill (Necromancy or Hordes). Opponent removes 1 counter from Fame and 1d/2 (round up) counters from defending force (Hordes or Minions). The turn ends.
- If the opponent’s roll succeeds, opponent adds 2 counters to Land, 1 counter to Fame, and 1 counter to defending skill (Necromancy or Hordes). Remove 1 counter from your Fame and 1d/2 (round up) counters from your attacking force (Hordes or Minions). The turn ends.

*** End of the Turn:

~ A player signals the end of their turn by moving their month counter to the next month.

*** End of the Year:

~ When every player has completed 12 turns and moved their month counters from December back to January again, a quick pause in play occurs. Every player adds 1 counter to Age, and 10 counters to Gold. Every player also removes 1 counter from Land.

*** Defeat

~ A defeat occurs when a player has 0 Land at the end of his turn.

might suggest for widder game apeale have half the bored (tatic area) more warrior soldier paladin ish. and have the other half (necromancy area) all gothic and undeadish.
so it almost looks like a war on your side of the board. or you could make 3 bordes. 1 for necromancys 1 for paladins and 1 for in between.

Back
Top Bottom