Witcher netflix series

Users who are viewing this thread

Hehe, magical janisaries  :fruity:

BtW i watched it again the 8 episodes and i must admit that maybe i am more fascinates with Chalotra acting than henry . . .

I really like her as Yennefer actually. I dislike a lot about this series though - I've watched up to the third episode so far and while I plan on finishing the season I feel it's becoming a chore.

It's generally directed incredibly poorly and at a snail's pace - you could trim probably ten minutes or more from the three episodes I watched just by having the dialogue move at a normal human rate, cutting the number of times we focus on a character making a sombre or stoic expression, cutting some of the unnecessarily gratuitous sex scenes and reducing the pointless monologues on a variety of entirely unrelated subjects. It feels like they're aiming for a Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones-type level of epic story, but that clashes completely with the tone of Geralt's early adventures, which this series mistakenly tries to adapt given how they evidently want to portray things.

If they made this early series purely an adaptation of the early vignettes of Geralt hunting monsters like only a third of this series is, I would probably like it a lot more than I currently do. Cavill is great as Geralt, despite the phony accent. While I like Yennefer, I also feel she didn't need an origin story at this point. It doesn't really do anything for the flow of the series at this point, and I feel it would make more of an impact happening after we're introduced to her and Geralt in the "present". The fact that it takes place chronologically before Geralt's story also offers a bit of confusion to non-readers.

What also doesn't work for non-readers, including those who I watched the episodes with, was Ciri's story in its entirety. The destruction of Cintra in the first episode is so much pointless melodrama for characters who were introduced with mere minutes of screen time each. It was definitely something that would have been a good opening to a second season, but it felt extremely out-of-place here. Overall not much seems to happen on her front and when it would cut away from Geralt or Yennefer to her I would internally groan.

So many bad decisions directing this one, and so many attempts to lend the show a gravitas that it really doesn't need. Like Jaskier's song at the end being turned into this swelling musical coda for the second episode - his actual bard skills have always been played for laughs, and when I heard them do this transition I cringed. I really hope they take some criticism to heart when they make season 2, because as of now, I'm very unimpressed. This source material deserves better.

I'm at episode... 5, 6? Anyway, The Golden Dragon story from the books. Seriously WTF was that Yennefer.
At which level did she multiclass to duelist?
There might be a DRAGON inside this cave, I should draw my dagger :facepalm:
From the series point of view, Geralt falls in love in a single day night. The "been-there-done-that, names and faces get blurry when you are almost 100 years old" guy? Talk about rushing the story.

I don't recall it being that much slower in the books, either.

Now that you mentioned that episode, though, it's a strange departure from the books that it took noted mindreader Yennefer of Vengerberg that long to figure out Geralt's wish.

Danath said:
I'm at episode... 5, 6? Anyway, The Golden Dragon story from the books. Seriously WTF was that Yennefer.
At which level did she multiclass to duelist?
There might be a DRAGON inside this cave, I should draw my dagger :facepalm:
From the series point of view, Geralt falls in love in a single day night. The "been-there-done-that, names and faces get blurry when you are almost 100 years old" guy? Talk about rushing the story.

In the books she's quite capable with a stiletto. Being she's like 120 I'm sure she dabbled into sword fighting too.
Though it's true even in the books Geralt goes head over heels in a day. And wouldn't you know it they have a rocky on-off relationship for many years. So I guess that's realistic for love at first sight.

For all the casually interested like myself, this may come in nifty.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/01/14/netflix-created-an-interactive-timeline-for-the-witcher-and-now-i-understand-whats-actually-going-on/

Kamos32 said:
In the books she's quite capable with a stiletto. Being she's like 120 I'm sure she dabbled into sword fighting too.
Capable with a stiletto is an understandement compared to what she did in the series. And in the next episode one of the mages is mocked because "all the time he spent learning to use the sword? Time he didn't spend learning more magic!" Not to mention she froze several dwarves from a distance in a moment. She could have stayed behind and do the same, but then the fight would have lasted 5 seconds and we wouldn't have some flashy fantasy swordfighting. Is just that they went too far with the "looks dope" instead of "what should have happened", the opposite of Indiana Jones just shooting the guy doing fancy moves with his sword

It starts off terrible but gets better. CGI ranges from awful to okay - like Cavill's face is always really well done with the potion effects, but the landscape shots, wide shots, some of the magic effects, and almost all monsters (including the dragon) are hilariously bad.

I have to say that while I'm usually all for inclusion and diversity, it is done really off-puttingly in your face in here, just like in Frozen 2, and it stands out annoyingly. Neither Yennefer nor Triss looks how they are supposed to look which is a big deal since they are the two most important characters after Geralt. A lot of the others were headscratchers too, like Vilgefortz and Fringilla and so on. Plus, having black elves is a really unfortunate thing, considering the history of black people in our world and the situation of elves in the Witcher world. But I guess all lynched and chained elves will be white.

Surprisingly, Henry Cavill does a great job as Geralt. I was all ready to hate him but he certainly won me over. Fingers crossed that the second season will have a bigger budget because otherwise this is Xena/Hercules level of embarrassing.

I'm not sure why people had trouble following the timeline. There are numerous obvious indications of time jumps and even hints as to which time it is taking place. Regardless of the time jumping stuff (which I agree they shouldn't repeat), I liked it, even with the many changes or the strange design for the Nilfgaardians.

Surprisingly, Henry Cavill does a great job as Geralt. I was all ready to hate him but he certainly won me over. Fingers crossed that the second season will have a bigger budget because otherwise this is Xena/Hercules level of embarrassing.
Haha yeah, the poor CGI, costumes and bloom really gave me a strong Xena/Hercules vibe when I was watching it.

The trailer looks really good! I'm very excited for season two, though I had wished it'd come sooner than that. lol The CGI looks like it might have gotten better, from that flying dragon-creature thing, but then again, it was just a flash so it's 50-50. I never really minded the CGI though, reminds me of those really bizarre sci-fi horror films that sometimes turned out really fun despite the budget. ?

Back
Top Bottom