Whistle your horse.

Users who are viewing this thread

I agree with randy that a destrier or even a good hunter was a once-in-a-lifetime investment for anyone not ridiculously rich.  Knights would spend a lot of time and money training their hroses, and there is a good reason this happened in real life much more than it can in M&B.  In reality, a knight whose horse died under him in battle did not have much chance of survival.  In M&B, the worst result is that you are unconscious.

So maybe really good horses should be almost unbuyable, but captured horses should be more common or of higher standard, so that you can replace a fallen friend by headshotting the next dark knight to come your way?

As far as the original suggestion goes: how is being able to whistle for a horse across a crowded battlefield any more unrealistic than being able to whistle for particular troop types?  I think it's a good idea, and I'd love to see it in future versions.

its just as bad, Kate of lokys.  I think the commands need work, but there's a few other threads about that too.  I'd like to see only the best horses trained to follow their rider, but to avoid melees...  don't know if it'll ever happen though.

I got an idea from one of Amman de Stazia's posts

Why not have mobs of stray horses on the world map that you can capture for profit, capture and train, or kill for pleasure

I would like to see this feature implemented and maybe you could only use it once you have a riding skill of 5 or something so that sort of explains how you are able to train your horse, as you are more affiliated with horses.  :grin:

Jesus you guys like to go off the point

there are a million things in this game that aren't real .. the game itself isn't a real world dam it
the point of this is that you get off your horse and it goes for a mission god knows where, and you left to walk to the other side of the battle field trying to find that last survivor that your army cant seem to kill

this is annoying and the concept of whistling for your horse to come back to you may not be the most realistic way but if you can think of a more realistic way to get your horse to come back to you in a battle feel free to post, maybe you would like a flair gun (sarcastically said)

Thanks for the reminder, I've already stopped playing M&B..
Thanks for reviving a topic that's like a year old.
(Sarcastically Said)

... Necroing a thread to lash at people, more than half of whom aren't even here any more?

You're being extremely annoying, Mirimus.

If you want to offer your opinion, do so and then shut up. Stop saying everyone else's is off-topic.

LighthouseGuard said:
. Stop saying everyone else's is off-topic.

i would if people would stop going off topic lighthouse im not trying to be rude here
but if my opinion is that people like to go off topic in these formus

so i shut up now ye?

Volkier said:
1) Horses can be easily trained to obey / run off and come back using verbal / other commands - fact and realistic
2) Stallions can be trained just as well, however it usually takes longer / more difficult. I won't bother going into the mechanics, but usually due to such training, the stallion is likely to become a one-man horse (ie. will only see the trainer as his master). This once again greatly depends on an individual's horses temperament, since you could enconter very similar problems with mares / geldings during training (although rightfully said, it would be less likely)
3) Horses (stallions / geldings / mares ) in general, could develop a natural response to defend the person on their backs by any means nessesary, although this is rare in today's world, because everyone associated with horses spends a lot less time with them, only think about horses as sport, and sell / buy several horses in a few years. It is true however, that this type of a 'bond' will occur faster with stallions, since it is a part of their natural herd behaviour.
4) Horses are a lot more intelligent than people assume. In other words, a stallion would not go after a mare during a battle, or under any other circumstances if trained correctly and/or if he is busy defending himself or his human.
5) Just one more point regarding staying still - although being a combination of all of the above. A horse is likely to remain near his master during such a situation, so infact it would be more likely that the horse would attempt to follow the human he knows during a battle, possibly even trying to defend himself and the human, rather than running away through unfamiliar fighting mess. This obviously can vary slightly on the relationship the horse and rider share, and the training.

Hopefully that evens out most of the arguments. Now for the actual post -

I have no problem with this, except that it would take a while to train a horse to do this. (which brings us back to training horses thread). I would personally suggest the following: Horses can gain experience, with each level providing a 'training point' that you can place in the stats, or save it up for further commands that may require more than 1 point (hence realistically speaking, take time to train).

So for example rearing may cost 5 points, whistling can cost 4 points, while the stats can cost 1 point each etc.

I have updated the Enhancing Horses thread with this system in the initial post, so its explained further there.

If i´m not wrong, XVI century chargers were Stallions, and men-at-arms spend a lot of time with them for training.
Even, those chargers were trained (With not much difficulty) to stomp, bite, kick and do a lot of those nasty horse´s things in the battlefield. So, the true weapon was not the knight over the horse, but the horse itself! They can survive terrible wounds, they can bite your face, and they can do a lot of nasty things that would be a nightmare for infantry soldiers.

Don't let the fairy tales fool you, they aren't magic...there is a reason that the bulk of heavy cavalry dismounted before engaging in combat.

A horse can be trained to TRY to bite or kick someone. A horse can be trained to somewhat reliably respond to a whistle. A horse can demonstrate unwavering loyalty, incredible inteligence, and at times, a nobility rarely seen among the best of men.

But in the middle of a loud, bloody, dust-choked battlefield, all that stuff breaks down, and the horse is relying on animal instinct and muscle memory....at that point, your asking way too much of the horse to expect it to do anything other than the sum of all of it's instincts and training.....RUN!!! (preferably, and often more important than the direction, with you still on top)

Back
Top Bottom