What pissed you off today v. IV

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know when **** is serious when you are not wearing any kind of shirt, with a very potent fan pointed directly at you in less than half a meter away, and you feel no difference in temperature.

That's not a paradise at all.

Haresus said:
I would gladly burn to death in your Amazon rainforest or something if I have to, just spare me from this cold hell.

Heh, I'm more than 2,000 km south from anything amazonic, and gladly this thing only happens in the summer. *along with other bad stuff such as waves of moronic tourists, stupid national festivities and crazed people in general*

But anyways, I don't know if you would want to live in a place where you got 35ºC+ on a daily basis in a humid climate such as in the Amazon.

And don't forget the mosquitoes and insects in general. They really suck. Literally.

Don Doggy said:
Haresus said:
I sit in here, with my jacket on. Whenever I am not typing, I have a glove on my left hand. I feel like a bloody Christmas present, except colder.

I would gladly burn to death in your Amazon rainforest or something if I have to, just spare me from this cold hell.

You wouldn't know cold even if it kicked you in the nuts and spat in your eye.

I... Uh, k? Since you are the expert here, what is considered "cold"?

Windows 8. I hate it. I hate it so much. Why does this stupid piece of crap think that when I boot up my laptop I want to be met with a stupid screen that I have to scroll out of the way? And why does it then think I want to go to some stupid Apps screen, which shows me stuff I don't give a **** about? They already ruined my Xbox control panel by doing this, now I'm lucky if I can actually get a DVD playing. And now my laptop looks like that too. I don't want a stupid scrolly screen that tells me what day it is. I know what day it is. In the event I don't know what day it is, I'm probably hungover and in bed, and therefore have no need for my computer in the first place. So I have to go through a scrolly screen and then click a 'desktop' button on an Apps page, just to get to my desktop. And when I get there, my task bar doesn't have the Start/Windows button that, I believe, has been common to all Windows products since their inception. I have no frigging idea how to find my programs. I somehow managed to uninstall the McAffee crap they tried to bundle into the laptop and replace it with ESET's Nod32, but I have no frigging idea how I did it because I had to go into so many ill-placed and un-intuitive different menus and folders that it was ridiculous. I don't want Apps screens and idiot-proof candy-coated visual fluff; I thought Microsoft learnt their lesson when they got rid of Clippy. In fact, if Clippy actually appeared right now and said "It looks like you're trying to customise **** which is never going to be fully customisable. Would you like some help?" I would probably weep in relief. In short, I want my Windows to be easy. I want it to look like Windows 95. Or at the very least, Windows XP, which allows you to switch between "Classic" and "Fluffy" views. If there is this ability in Windows 8, please somebody tell me how to make it happen, and you will be my personal hero for the rest of this year.

(TL:grin:R? Windows 8 is poop)

Haresus said:
Don Doggy said:
Haresus said:
I sit in here, with my jacket on. Whenever I am not typing, I have a glove on my left hand. I feel like a bloody Christmas present, except colder.

Uhh.... Yo momma?

Don Doggy said:
Haresus said:
Don Doggy said:
Haresus said:

Uhh.... Yo momma?

Correct.

Now that's just ****ing retarded.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
...Or at the very least, Windows XP, which allows you to switch between "Classic" and "Fluffy" views. If there is this ability in Windows 8, please somebody tell me how to make it happen, and you will be my personal hero for the rest of this year.

Wait, they DITCHED THAT?

Well, ****.

Trevty said:
By pressing the Windows button, typing whatever you're searching for, then going back to the desktop.

I'll give it a try.

Jock said:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

This help?

Thanks. I'll give Classic Shell a try once I've made sure that this piece of nonsense actually does run games, such as Spore, M&B and NWN2: MOTB. Because if it doesn't run games then it's even more useless to me than my PC, and I'll be returning it forthwith.

Edit: And you shall now be my new personal hero for the rest of this year. Enjoy it until the New Year (or the World End, whichever comes first)

Folms said:
Eктωρ said:
Still, even if you've been to America or somewhere like Southern Europe, you spend at best some weeks in a gut wrenching heat, and taking that you were travelling you could afford to just lay around all day. Having to actually do stuff and go by in this heat is not pleasant at all.
No not really. I have a granddad who lives in Kansas and owns a farm. During the summer holidays I visit him, and work for him like a slave  :lol:
I don't think we're in Kansas, Toto.

Trevty said:
You don't ever have to touch the Apps screen, though.

So if I have no start menu, and the only way to get to my programs is to be on the Apps screen and type its name, how am I supposed to function without using it?

Also, I've figured out how to turn my laptop off. Just pressing the power-button merely hibernates it, and as it appears that Windows 8 doesn't give you the easy "shut down from start menu" function, you've to go to the login screen (I got there by pressing the laptop's power button a couple of times after realising it was only hibernating, though I'm sure there's an easier way to get there) and to select shut-down from the user login screen. It makes perfect sense...

IN BIZARRO WORLD.

Trevty said:
Pharaoh Llandy said:
So if I have no start menu, and the only way to get to my programs is to be on the Apps screen and type its name, how am I supposed to function without using it?
Type in the name of the program on the 'start menu'.  Ta-da, you've just found the program.  Or, on the Desktop, use icons.

The 'start menu' is the Apps screen I was referring to. As in, a big screen just full of silly tiles of games and Apps and programs. I've unstuck a few of them but it still feels like Windows for Morons. I'm not six years old, Microsoft, I don't need to push a big button to start a program up. I'm perfectly fine with a line of text in a menu.

And another thing; the windows don't actually seem to... you know... be windows anymore. I start skype up and it goes to the same Windows for Morons full-screen nonsense as the "start" screen. I can't minimise it, I can't make it be a small window on my desktop background, I can't cascade it behind my Firefox. And when I try to log out, it tells me that because it's linked to my Microsoft account, I have to log in as a different user if I want to log out of skype, and then gives me no option for simply logging out. Fortunately, I have skype on my PC, which runs XP (otherwise known as a semi-decent OS).

Forum-dwellers, heed my advice; if given the option to upgrade to Windows 8, then for the love of all that is good and holy, don't. Not if you value your sanity, at least.

Hugues said:
I have Windows 8 in my laptop - I don't mind it.

You clearly don't possess a soul, or you're one of those annoying young people who likes new technology.

Unfortunately for me, I do have a soul, regardless of what Mage will try to tell you. And don't like newfangled things when I've had a good twenty years of Same Old Things, at least as far as technology is concerned.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Trevty said:
Pharaoh Llandy said:
Type in the name of the program on the 'start menu'.  Ta-da, you've just found the program.  Or, on the Desktop, use icons.

The 'start menu' is the Apps screen I was referring to. As in, a big screen just full of silly tiles of games and Apps and programs. I've unstuck a few of them but it still feels like Windows for Morons. I'm not six years old, Microsoft, I don't need to push a big button to start a program up. I'm perfectly fine with a line of text in a menu.

And another thing; the windows don't actually seem to... you know... be windows anymore. I start skype up and it goes to the same Windows for Morons full-screen nonsense as the "start" screen. I can't minimise it, I can't make it be a small window on my desktop background, I can't cascade it behind my Firefox. And when I try to log out, it tells me that because it's linked to my Microsoft account, I have to log in as a different user if I want to log out of skype, and then gives me no option for simply logging out. Fortunately, I have skype on my PC, which runs XP (otherwise known as a semi-decent OS).

Forum-dwellers, heed my advice; if given the option to upgrade to Windows 8, then for the love of all that is good and holy, don't. Not if you value your sanity, at least.
Read  abit of an article in PC Gamer while I was just at the store.  8 Doesn't seem to offer anything I actually need.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Hugues said:
I have Windows 8 in my laptop - I don't mind it.

You clearly don't possess a soul, or you're one of those annoying young people who likes new technology.Unfortunately for me, I do have a soul, regardless of what Mage will try to tell you. And don't like newfangled things when I've had a good twenty years of Same Old Things, at least as far as technology is concerned.
Damn kids!  :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom