What do you consider to be the most overrated game of all time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Most sports are 'good', i.e. have qualities that appeal to people (otherwise the sport would quickly die off), it just comes down to personal preference. I don't like basketball, but many people do. I love rugby, but most people don't understand what the game is even about :lol:.

M@ster-$ said:
I'm not American, yes, but still I know the rules, I just find it boring for me. I have the right to not like something, haven't I?

You can like whatever you want, but you saying you don't like "American-type sports" makes about as much sense as me saying I don't like "Kazakh-type sports". The national identity of the sport *shouldn't* have any connection to whether or not you like it.

Mage246 said:
M@ster-$ said:
I'm not American, yes, but still I know the rules, I just find it boring for me. I have the right to not like something, haven't I?

You can like whatever you want, but you saying you don't like "American-type sports" makes about as much sense as me saying I don't like "Kazakh-type sports". The national identity of the sport *shouldn't* have any connection to whether or not you like it.

One difference - you don't know about Kazakh-type sports.

And honestly, I don't watch them. They are national tradition and too simple to be real sport :roll:

But pretty much everyone knows about American-type sports :roll:

I tried watching some American football once. It looked like Rugby with lots of extra safety pads and stopping every 10 seconds to consult the referee. I found it even more boring than watching football, which is saying something as I found that dull enough. Clearly I am ignorant and don't understand though.

What sport do you like then? Because basically anyone can find something boring about virtually *any* sport, so acting like one nation's sports are particularly boring is a pretty ignorant thing to believe.

Hunting? All sitting and waiting.
Tennis? Like watching Pong.
Cricket? If you find baseball boring, you ought to find cricket boring, and vice versa
Soccer? Mostly passing, very low scoring game, and boring for that reason

See, any sport can be boring.

I dislike watching most sports, but if you must press me: Kayaking, climbing and sailing are probably my 3 favourite sports. And I imagine those could be potentially boring to watch.

I find all those sports you've listed there incredibly boring to watch as well. Oh no, I am so ignorant aren't I for finding all those sports boring. My ignorance is practically coming out of my ears. Fear my ignorance, etc. But I also wasn't aware any of those sports you've listed belong to "any one nation" care to connect which sport belongs to which nation?

What exactly do you think my argument is? You seem to have no idea. It isn't that you ought to find all sports interesting, but that you shouldn't categorize the sports of an entire country uninteresting, when all sports are different and their nation of origin has basically nothing to do with how they are played.

No. The emphasis is on "nation" not "sports". FYI, I find almost all sports pretty boring, but I don't discriminate among them.

Indeed Mage, you seem remarkably defensive about this. And if that isn't your argument, what's your point in saying I'm ignorant for finding one nations particular sports boring? I wish you to expand upon my ignorance and banish it with the enlightening light of American football.

Seriously, did you even bother to read any of my posts in this topic?

BTW, I FIND AMERICAN FOOTBALL BORING.

God, you're dense.

Yes. You said:

What sport do you like then? Because basically anyone can find something boring about virtually *any* sport, so acting like one nation's sports are particularly boring is a pretty ignorant thing to believe.

Whereupon I listed the sports I do like, with the addendum that I find watching a lot of sports boring. I then asked how not liking a particular sport made me ignorant, an issue you continue to dance around. This is the post I am interested in. Before that I was merely mildly giving my opinion with no relation to the previous posts. So please continue..

Dain Ironfoot said:
Whereupon I listed the sports I do like, with the addendum that I find watching a lot of sports boring. I then asked how not liking a particular sport made me ignorant, an issue you continue to dance around. So please continue..

I *never* made the argument that disliking a *particular* sport makes anyone ignorant. But it's ignorant to believe that the sports of an entire country are inferior for that reason.

If you wish to be pedantic, very well :smile: Not a particular sport. Your quote again then

acting like one nation's sports are particularly boring is a pretty ignorant thing to believe.

And my post

I tried watching some American football once

And I never argued that I found one nation's sports particularly boring. Merely American football, which I'm sure doesn't make up the entirety of American sports. So what was your point with that original post? :smile:

First of all, the first post was you responding to my post, not me to yours. So by responding to my post, you were (intentionally or unintentionally) arguing against my point. But you didn't seem to know what my point *was*. I never called you ignorant, but by saying that I was calling you that you were implicitly placing yourself within Masters camp, which was opposed to "American-type sports", not any sport in particular.

Well actually I had no intention on agreeing with Master whatsit, I merely gave my opinion on American football not floating my boat. Glad we sorted that out :razz:

(Probably a good job I didn't mention that I think of baseball as a glorified version of rounders :wink: )

I don't care which sports you like/don't like. Hate them all, for all I care. Just don't have a double-standard based on national identity. That's all I'm arguing against.

Back
Top Bottom