What do you consider to be the most overrated game of all time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Moss said:
Well someone had to say it eventually:

Oblivion.

I did a ****ing pioret for ****s sake!

It was supposed to be the sequel to a gritty and dark rpg series, instead we got a bloom drenched monstrosity that mistakes interpretive dance for melee combat. I can't believe it's considered a good game. I played it for a couple of hours before it made me want to punch babies. With mods it's not so bad, but I can't believe it's considered a good console game, I really can't.

Rant, over.

Oblivion felt really lackluster compared to Morrowind; we went from something gritty, believable and unique (Architecture was incredible) to run of the mill Dungeons and Dragons with Knights in shining armour in good versus evil battles. Dagoth Ur was a far more sympathetic character than Mehrunes Dagon; the former had reasons for his deeds as opposed to the stereotypical conquer the world portrayal of Dagon.

Moss said:
It was supposed to be the sequel to a gritty and dark rpg series,
No it wasn't. Bethesda based the whole Elder Scrolls series on a D&D campaign. Morrowind was dark and gritty solely because the Dark Elves are the same morally ambigous pointy eared ****ers from the D&D universe. Daggerfall on the other hand was a romp through a swords and sorcery version of France (which I guess for some people might qualify as a dark and gritty setting :wink:) in a quest to repair a giant ****ing robot. Arena played like a technologically advanced version of Eye of the Beholder, and swiped the standard "find the three pieces of the magic sword, rebuild it and kill the evil wizard" plot.
Sulibres said:
Dagoth Ur was a far more sympathetic character than Mehrunes Dagon; the former had reasons for his deeds as opposed to the stereotypical conquer the world portrayal of Dagon.
What did you expect from the Daedric God of War? You kind of lose something if the personification of the Will to Power launches into a soliloquy of how his actions are motivated due to a troubled relationship with his father. Dagoth Ur on the other hand was simply a normal Dark Elf who'd betrayed his party when they reached epic level in return for immortality, and consequently got rather pissed off when the Emperor and his mates annexed his homeland in the meantime. He's always going to have the edge when it comes to personality; according to the TES lore it's debatable whether beings like Dagon can truly be considered sentient in the first place.
The Elder Scrolls has never been about storytelling though, it's always been about creating a world. It's the spin offs like Redguard and Battlespire which were aimed at the plot (and anyone who played them would understand why Bethesda aren't big on plot). On those terms Oblivion succeeds rather admirably; there's not many single player RPG's in which the player is free to give up the hero business in return for a modest life of hunting deer.

I was somewhat disappointed with some things from oblivion- The skill system, the removal of polearms (no spears?! WTF) but still enjoyed the little I played of it. On the other hand WoW turned out to be a massive piece of turd- they completely decimated the Warcraft universe with a single game, turning it into a bloody everquest clone. After the cliffhanger-ish ending of WC3, I was expecting a lot more.

The so-called "free-form fighting system" in PoP warrior within.Turned out to be the same old button masher.

Archonsod said:
The entire CoD series was overhyped. And Medal of Honour. And Half Life 2. And pretty much every other on rails shooter released this side of the millenium.

MoHAA was worth every bit of the hype it got. The campaign was not impressive, but the online was orgasmically amazing.

On WoW, I don't think it's quite as shallow as people criticize it to be. I've never played it before, but there's apparently a lot of number crunching involved when it comes to raiding the larger dungeons. Parties have to figure out precisely what classes to bring, what skills to use and when, etc. It's mostly crunch stuff (though the backstory's quite nice), but calling it a mere point & click game would be oversimplifying it a bit too much.

As for me, aside from the above Halo series (which I thought were good and fun but not OMG AMAZING), I never quite understood why many of the Nintendo classics were so great. The Marios were solid platformers, to be sure, but due to them being Nintendo Hard, I never thought that they were worth raving over. As for the Zelda games, each seem to be very similar to another; the 2d ones were bird's-eye-view hack/slash puzzles that pretty much used the same items from game to game (master sword, hookshot, bombs, etc.), while the 3d ones were 3rd person hack/slash puzzles that pretty much used the same itmes from game to game. I guess the item recycling is nice for fans since the new items aren't totally unfamiliar and there's a bit of nostalgia involved, but still...

Also, Half Life 2. After watching a LP and recalling the time I played the game, I thought it was great and fun, but 1st-5th best game of all time? Eh...sure, the physics engine was cool, and the engine is probably excellent seeing how lots of games are being based off of it nowdays ( I wouldn't be surprised if even the newer engines are modeled off of the Source engine), I don't know about its total amazingness...

13 Spider Bloody Chain said:
On WoW, I don't think it's quite as shallow as people criticize it to be. I've never played it before, but there's apparently a lot of number crunching involved when it comes to raiding the larger dungeons. Parties have to figure out precisely what classes to bring, what skills to use and when, etc. It's mostly crunch stuff (though the backstory's quite nice), but calling it a mere point & click game would be oversimplifying it a bit too much.

Number crunching my ass. Tank & Spank, and evade the occasionall Area of Effect spell. Or run away when a blob of magic comes towards you. Or use certain spells when the guy's resistant to any other. There's nothing hard about it, the only problem is that you need a bunch of no-life guys.

It's the PvP where it becomes interesting, but even that lacks, because if you don't play at least 4 hours a day, you won't have the "gearz" to beat anyone else.

Nemesis said:

Number crunching my ass. Tank & Spank, and evade the occasionall Area of Effect spell. Or run away when a blob of magic comes towards you. Or use certain spells when the guy's resistant to any other. There's nothing hard about it, the only problem is that you need a bunch of no-life guys.

It's the PvP where it becomes interesting, but even that lacks, because if you don't play at least 4 hours a day, you won't have the "gearz" to beat anyone else.
Pure powergaming, and I hate it. A little bit of powergamingi s needed sometimes, but when the entire ****ing game is power gaming then NO.

Also, Half Life 2. After watching a LP and recalling the time I played the game, I thought it was great and fun, but 1st-5th best game of all time?
The thing that always made me laugh is that most PC Gamers derided Halo for being a throwback due to it being a linear shooter with scripted sequences,  which were prevalent on the PC shortly after the Doom era. One magazine even stated in the review (for the PC release) it would have been a good game five years earlier, but these days the PC market expected a little more depth in the gameplay of a shooter than linear levels with the odd scripted sequence to liven things up, particularly in the post Deus Ex / FarCry era. It also sleighted the deathmatch mode for being little more than an old fashioned slugfest, pointing out that even the non-multiplayer focused shooters tended to find some way of injecting a little more fun into the multiplayer matches.
A few years later Valve release Half Life 2, a linear shooter with scripted scenes. The very same people lauded it as the best game ever, praised the depth of the story line and the excellent use of scripted sequences to advance the game. Top marks went out for the online deathmatch mode, praising it's return to traditional mano a mano fighting which was sadly overlooked in the modern climate of more complex game modes.

Personally, I wonder how they sleep at night.

Back
Top Bottom