Weapon Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

What do you recommend for companions? Spencer Repeaters or Sharps/Burnside or Scoped Sharps (when I can get them)

Assuming they have around 150 skill

I currently have them with a couple of scoped Sharps and the rest with Burnsides until Spencers become more available, obviously Scoped Sharps are the best single shot guns but how do they all compare ?

I prefer Spencer over Winchester for player char as it has more stopping power and I dont mind a bit more reloading.

Or should they all have pistols?

Also what about mounted vs unmounted? They will probably only get 12 AGL (4/4 in the 2 riding skills) unless theres a big benefit to more, specially the Party Skill guys , some of them like Doc Valentine and Lou Zhang I keep on foot as its a lot of points to invest when they start with few in riding skills.

The AI can get a little trigger happy with repeaters: in my old game I watched Hickory Jim fire several quick, unaimed rounds in succession while he was turning his horse around to properly face the enemy. I usually give my mounted companions Sharps or Burnside carbines, while companions on foot get the long Sharps: that way they conserve ammo while ensuring more accurate and effective fire all around.

Percival Goodenough said:
Also what about mounted vs unmounted? They will probably only get 12 AGL (4/4 in the 2 riding skills) unless theres a big benefit to more, specially the Party Skill guys , some of them like Doc Valentine and Lou Zhang I keep on foot as its a lot of points to invest when they start with few in riding skills.

you will want to mount all your companions, since this will give you a map speed boost.  but on the companions with low riding skill, simply get them the cheapest horses you can find (but not lame horses), requiring the lowest riding skill.

What about for combat though, are they are effective on horse :ie being hard to hit but having worse aim , or just lined up with rifles on foot.

I basically use just 14 companions + sometimes 6-12 additional to defeat the tougher parties.

I havent raised a conquest army yet (like I did in Vanilla) so basically companions are where its at.

HunterAlpha1 said:

you will want to mount all your companions, since this will give you a map speed boost.  but on the companions with low riding skill, simply get them the cheapest horses you can find (but not lame horses), requiring the lowest riding skill.
* Mount your companions because they are cheaper than hired cavalry and do not die.
* Do not give mounted troops pistols - The AI is optimized for mounted archery which fires to the left and pistols shoot better to the right.
* Give mounted troops sabers or other long melee weapon (crowbar and gunstock clubs are very good if you do not want sabers), they are extremely effective against infantry and even other cavalry, often better than guns.
* I rarely give a companion a horse before he has at least 3 in mounted accuracy. Riding needs to be only a little over the horse requirement (2, see below) skill of 4 is plenty.
* Best horses for companions are heavy mustangs. Companions will not utilize maneuverability much anyway - what they need is a horse that will not die easily and be able to run through infantry.
* Agility for companions is for weaponmaster and mounted accuracy. The former needs to be high so their skills auto raise faster, not for point distribution in level-ups. Try to get to 5 in these. If you want them to use single-shot weapons, agility is supposed to make reload faster but I never really verified this. Easy to test.

mouthnhoof said:
HunterAlpha1 said:

* Mount your companions because they are cheaper than hired cavalry and do not die.
* Do not give mounted troops pistols - The AI is optimized for mounted archery which fires to the left and pistols shoot better to the right.
* Give mounted troops sabers or other long melee weapon (crowbar and gunstock clubs are very good if you do not want sabers), they are extremely effective against infantry and even other cavalry, often better than guns.
* I rarely give a companion a horse before he has at least 3 in mounted accuracy. Riding needs to be only a little over the horse requirement (2, see below) skill of 4 is plenty.
* Best horses for companions are heavy mustangs. Companions will not utilize maneuverability much anyway - what they need is a horse that will not die easily and be able to run through infantry.
* Agility for companions is for weaponmaster and mounted accuracy. The former needs to be high so their skills auto raise faster, not for point distribution in level-ups. Try to get to 5 in these. If you want them to use single-shot weapons, agility is supposed to make reload faster but I never really verified this. Easy to test.

Are they more effective mounted than on foot assuming theres no other support in the party? They certainly would be safer mounted vs charging cav at least, those dam Comanches are lethal to my marksmen on foot

I figured on mustangs also for the same 2 reasons, just like in vanilla.

Considering Doc Valentine (arguably the most valuable companion) starts with like 6 AGL and only 2/0 in riding skills, would you keep him on foot with a Scoped Sharps and max his INT, or train some agl and stick him on a horse? Is he going to be safer and level faster on a horse by kicking more ass?
Hes like the main healer as I only train surgery.

I think you forgot the Coach gun, It's in the game, but not in the guide
rerec.png

Coach gun is neither beef nor milk. Too short range and too little damage, both linked to too much spread of the shot imo. For short ranges better go with the sawed-off one.

It is the coolest looking of the shotties though.

mouthnhoof said:
Coach gun is neither beef nor milk. Too short range and too little damage, both linked to too much spread of the shot imo. For short ranges better go with the sawed-off one.

It is the coolest looking of the shotties though.

yeah it looks awesome. I think shotties are pretty balanced. They are too much powerful, any more range would ruin the game.

Back
Top Bottom