SP Fantasy Warsword Conquest - New Opening Post

Users who are viewing this thread

Khorne himself said:
Birger Jarl said:
The problem is that the AI can't properly utilize Thrust attacks; unlike other attacks Thrust attacks will only deliver their damage at the very end of the stabbing animation, and if it impacts anything before the character has fully extended it's arm the attack will deal next to no damage. This is why Daggers and Shortswords are generally not bad in the hands of the AI; their short range means that an enemy has to be really, really close to "interrupt" the stab.

Spears on the other hand are so long that they will very, very often hit the target before the thrust animation is complete unless it is at a full spear's length away when they start attacking. The AI does not take this into consideration and try to keep its distance between it's target so they will rush into melee and try to do these impotent thrusting attacks which simply won't work that close in...
And how about including the spear bracing and volley fire mod ?

Those are already in vanilla Warsword.  :wink:

So... opinions:

Skulls

a3pmGvo.jpg

vs.

Skulls and helmets

GvYzAPA.jpg

Birger Jarl said:
So... opinions:

Skulls

a3pmGvo.jpg

vs.

Skulls and helmets

GvYzAPA.jpg

My initial instinct was to say skulls, but I think perhaps the problem with skulls and helmets to me is the color and style of the helmets is not entirely distinct. In other words, a little work on the helmets would probably make them pop a bit and make me like it better.

Dwarf skulls with tatty, rotten beards would be awesome.

Birger Jarl said:
I have another idea, this time about one-handed spears:

"Spearmen" as a whole are generally a useless unit in Warband, unfortunately. Thrust attacks are quite impotent unless a very specific condition is met (involving a charging horseman). Since I am not able to give them a shortsword as a back up (Warband either spawns them with a sword or a spear if you assign them both to the troop). So I was thinking about giving all one-handed spears a decent swing damage and removing the thrust attack. It would essentially make them one-handers that use the polearm skill. It would probably look awkward in battle, but it would allow spearmen to be used as effectively as other infantry...  :neutral:

The utility of spearmen is you can stop horses with one thin line of soldiers, which is very important in vanilla warband but utterly useless once you add PBO&D, which Warsword does.

I think the best thing to do would be to amp the damage on the thrust attack. Hopefully in Bannerlord they will upgrade the behavior of thrusting weapons. The funny thing to me is that they do a great job of modifying damage due to speed differentials, but like you point out, it seems the thrusting weapon does NO damage at ALL if too close, and yet at the same time does not do a good job of fending people off and keeping them at a distance so you can stab them.

I honestly think another fix might be to make thrust attacks be very quick attacks. As your skill in weapons goes up, your speed with them improves, but polearm thrusts ought to be quick jabs that only do much damage, again, if set and against things charging in at speed, and also let the damage increase the further out it stabs, but stop people and deliver at least SOME damage if it impacts before the full force of the stab is developed.

ShaneRoach said:
Birger Jarl said:
So... opinions:

Skulls

a3pmGvo.jpg

vs.

Skulls and helmets

GvYzAPA.jpg

My initial instinct was to say skulls, but I think perhaps the problem with skulls and helmets to me is the color and style of the helmets is not entirely distinct. In other words, a little work on the helmets would probably make them pop a bit and make me like it better.

Dwarf skulls with tatty, rotten beards would be awesome.

The problem is that there isn't much clearance between the skulls and shoulderplates, especially with the spikes. Adding beards would result in some serious clipping...

Birger Jarl said:
Khorne himself said:
Birger Jarl said:
The problem is that the AI can't properly utilize Thrust attacks; unlike other attacks Thrust attacks will only deliver their damage at the very end of the stabbing animation, and if it impacts anything before the character has fully extended it's arm the attack will deal next to no damage. This is why Daggers and Shortswords are generally not bad in the hands of the AI; their short range means that an enemy has to be really, really close to "interrupt" the stab.

Spears on the other hand are so long that they will very, very often hit the target before the thrust

animation is complete unless it is at a full spear's length away when they start attacking. The AI does not take this into consideration and try to keep its distance between it's target so they will rush into melee and try to do these impotent thrusting attacks which simply won't work that close in...

PBOD is in warsword but not spear bracing and volley fire

Khorne himself said:
Birger Jarl said:
Khorne himself said:
Birger Jarl said:

Spears on the other hand are so long that they will very, very often hit the target before the thrust

animation is complete unless it is at a full spear's length away when they start attacking. The AI does not take this into consideration and try to keep its distance between it's target so they will rush into melee and try to do these impotent thrusting attacks which simply won't work that close in...

Brace Polearms and Volley Fire are in the F7 menu entry of PBOD in my Warsword.

Not sure what is up...? Are you sure you have a full familiarity with the PBOD interface? Where have you seen brace polearms and volley fire before?

I mean... don't get my wrong, I'm pretty new. I just dunno where else it would usually be found.

Birger Jarl said:
Lord_Marius said:
What's it? the boss Urgun (Orcs) with the human head.

For some reason his Skin reset back to human.

trp_knight_10_17 Warboss_Gargash_Skrullkrumpa Gargash 0 66060300 66093084 0 31 0 0
  1142 0 1161 0 338 0 1168 0 1519 0 180 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0
  63 16 12 17 50
270 270 270 270 270 270 270
1936 1073741824 80 1129 557056 0
  6509559808 130156520424518946 0 0 0 0 0 0

That should make him orcy again.
thanks, you very much helped and calmed my vanity at a view of this discrepancy.

I think I found an agreeable solution to the Spearman issue:

When wielded with one handed, all Polearms (that are capable of being used one-handed i.e those without a "Two-handed" flag) now have a thrust and an overswing attack. At first I thought the result would look too ridiculous to use (the character holding the weapon at the very end of the weapon, lending to a somewhat comical animation) but they actually keep carrying it at the mid-point through-out the swing, which makes it look like what I'd imagine a spear being used to clobber someone upside the head would look like.

avkAqHg.jpg
(Stormvermin are proper crazy powerful now)

ShaneRoach said:
Khorne himself said:
Birger Jarl said:
Khorne himself said:
Birger Jarl said:

Not sure what is up...? Are you sure you have a full familiarity with the PBOD interface? Where have you seen brace polearms and volley fire before?

I mean... don't get my wrong, I'm pretty new. I just dunno where else it would usually be found.
I saw it on Floris expanded, an excellent modpack.

well, having uses a spear to fight against armoured opponents i can say they are not used like that. 1, not many people are strong enough to do so and 2,you would be taken out very swiftly if you tried it!
but given the limits of this game engine, your solution may be best. i never use spears ingame because the thrust attack is way,way too slow. all spears i have used and have fought against are very quick in the stabbing\thrusting motion, and when fighting against a unit of spearmen they are very difficult to stop.
to do that properly would require a new animation as the thrust is made with the rear hand making the motion and the leading hand providing a 'socket' so to speak to hold and guide the weapon to its target.
this of course refers to a spear proper which is generally between 6 and 8 feet long. the pike is a weapon used generally in blocks of men and can be 13 to 18 feet long. as an individual weapon it is next to useless.

sorry to ramble on but ive used every medieval weapon under the sun during many years of reenactment in full contact battles, which is why the spear animations and speed really tick me off! cheers

Well, and from the pic you posted, that skaven "spear" is more accurately described as a voulge, given this side of the blade. Such weapons can slash, but are slow.

Long halberds would use an overswing. But none of the polearms in this game are all THAT long.

But yeah. The main problem is the slowness of the thrust and the meteoric fall off in damage with even a slight error in thrust timing.

Khorne himself said:
ShaneRoach said:
Khorne himself said:
Birger Jarl said:
Khorne himself said:
Birger Jarl said:

I saw it on Floris expanded, an excellent modpack.

Hehe. Well yeah, the Mod itself is all over. I meant where else besides in the F7 menu. I just was not sure how you missed it.

Birger Jarl said:
There is a nice force behind those thrusts; nice combo of sound effects and sped-up animations.
Works quite well. With that low thrust you can still hit enemies in close combat and the higher thrust, with the shield up front, is quite good to approach enemy formations since it will block most incoming projectiles while being ready to strike the moment you get within distance.

Back
Top Bottom