Users who are viewing this thread

Cha Dawn

Recruit
The dust has settled over the battlefields of Bannerlord
The ground has had its full taste of blood of all soldier types
Their bodies litter the game world, with a thick coat of arrows
Over the ravens the sound of throat singing can be heard at the horizon
The Khuzait horse archers have won the day

There is simply no unit in the game that can compete with the Khuzait Khan's Guard
There is no army they can't decimate, no odds they can't overturn
No other unit can deliver as much impact and utility as efficiently as the Khan's Guard
They are the rolling thunder, the most fearsome unit on the field

It is for me the greatest experience on offer by Taleworlds to smash through Caladria with a storm of horse archers. Having them as the main unit of your party is the most refined way to experience this game, they cut up the world like butter, every battle a morsel as the Guard's superior agility makes sure you can always be at your enemy's back before they've even taken up a solid defense.
They hold and take a castle as good as the best of them. And out on just about every field they can so easily position that you're always flanking without much risk to your own units. You always want archers this good and quick on your team.
You could entertain a different unit as better than the Khan's Guard only if you were trying to shine a good light on the Guard. All arguments point towards their dominance on the battlefield.

Using anything less than 50% Khan's Guard in your Party is roleplaying. The game gives the player nothing for Faction loyalty, dump 'em all and go with winners, the best answer is always to get Khan's Guard. If you want to play with less than the most elite force, go ahead, but remember that you are gimping yourself. Anything but a force made up primarily of Khan's Guard is a vanity project. Something you do for fun because you don't like winning so much.

If you are playing to win you run 60-75% Khan's Guard and 40-25% Heavy Cav to support them. A few dozen cataphracts to soak damage from enemy cav, and three squads of Khans to surround and flank the enemy and its GG EZ

This is bringing a gun to a knife fight.

Khuz'ait Kangs report in
Tell me about your experience riding with the Guard 🏹🫅🎠

The dust has settled over the battlefields of Bannerlord
The ground has had its full taste of blood of all soldier types
Their bodies litter the game world, with a thick coat of arrows
Over the ravens the sound of throat singing can be heard at the horizon
The Khuzait horse archers have won the day

There is simply no unit in the game that can compete with the Khuzait Khan's Guard
There is no army they can't decimate, no odds they can't overturn
No other unit can deliver as much impact and utility as efficiently as the Khan's Guard
They are the rolling thunder, the most fearsome unit on the field

It is for me the greatest experience on offer by Taleworlds to smash through Caladria with a storm of horse archers. Having them as the main unit of your party is the most refined way to experience this game, they cut up the world like butter, every battle a morsel as the Guard's superior agility makes sure you can always be at your enemy's back before they've even taken up a solid defense.
They hold and take a castle as good as the best of them. And out on just about every field they can so easily position that you're always flanking without much risk to your own units. You always want archers this good and quick on your team.
You could entertain a different unit as better than the Khan's Guard only if you were trying to shine a good light on the Guard. All arguments point towards their dominance on the battlefield.

Using anything less than 50% Khan's Guard in your Party is roleplaying. The game gives the player nothing for Faction loyalty, dump 'em all and go with winners, the best answer is always to get Khan's Guard. If you want to play with less than the most elite force, go ahead, but remember that you are gimping yourself. Anything but a force made up primarily of Khan's Guard is a vanity project. Something you do for fun because you don't like winning so much.

If you are playing to win you run 60-75% Khan's Guard and 40-25% Heavy Cav to support them. A few dozen cataphracts to soak damage from enemy cav, and three squads of Khans to surround and flank the enemy and its GG EZ

This is bringing a gun to a knife fight.

Khuz'ait Kangs report in
Tell me about your experience riding with the Guard 🏹🫅🎠
I've heard a lot of people say heavy cav is the way to go, and they just F1 F3 and win every fight easily.

But for me, I also love the KG armies. My favorite way to play is splitting them into 2 groups, putting them on either side of an enemy army and then keeping them in place. I have a group of companions/family as my "general's bodyguard" unit (for total war players) and another small group of heavy cav which I don't even use most of the time. Absolute blast with the tactics you can pull and the armies you can beat with these strategies.

I will try the heavy cav army soon but am just having so much fun on my Khuzait play through. It's the first time I actually played a campaign through having kids that came of age, and tbh I'm only now getting ready to stop the campaign for now since they patched the alley glitch. I wanted to give my clan to my daughter and keep the main in the party. Now I kinda want to wait to continue playing until they do something with that, or maybe I will revert to an old beta just to use the glitch lol.

Anyway, yes, love the KG army.

I've heard a lot of people say heavy cav is the way to go, and they just F1 F3 and win every fight easily.

But for me, I also love the KG armies. My favorite way to play is splitting them into 2 groups, putting them on either side of an enemy army and then keeping them in place. I have a group of companions/family as my "general's bodyguard" unit (for total war players) and another small group of heavy cav which I don't even use most of the time. Absolute blast with the tactics you can pull and the armies you can beat with these strategies.

I will try the heavy cav army soon but am just having so much fun on my Khuzait play through. It's the first time I actually played a campaign through having kids that came of age, and tbh I'm only now getting ready to stop the campaign for now since they patched the alley glitch. I wanted to give my clan to my daughter and keep the main in the party. Now I kinda want to wait to continue playing until they do something with that, or maybe I will revert to an old beta just to use the glitch lol.

Anyway, yes, love the KG army.
If your troops have to touch the other army you're gonna end up taking damage. That wont do in battles against far greater armies.
You need Khan's Guard to be able to continue smashing the enemy over and over.
It takes a lot more maneuvering with the Khan's Guard, never use F1 F3, never let them get stuck in a melee. I almost exclusively use line formation and move my three squads of KG lines back and forth as the enemy tries to strike out against one another one moves in from the other side, always trying to keep my guys as close to the enemy as is safe and efficient.

I used to think so, but all the speed-runners grab whoever the **** is around and just go win another siege. KGs are the best at open field battles but their advantages matter a lot less in sieges and winning sieges is winning the game.

That said:

I used to think so, but all the speed-runners grab whoever the **** is around and just go win another siege. KGs are the best at open field battles but their advantages matter a lot less in sieges and winning sieges is winning the game.

They also play on freebooter difficulty and skip the core of the game by using autocomplete on most battles.
If they don't get on the actual battlefield and get their hands dirty then their opinions are moot.

They also play on freebooter difficulty and skip the core of the game by using autocomplete on most battles.
If they don't get on the actual battlefield and get their hands dirty then their opinions are moot.
Some of them play on Bannerlord difficulty and fight out battles. StratGaming did in his world conquest vid. At a certain point, you just want bodies to maintain momentum and keep winning sieges. Assuming that your goal when playing is to win Bannerlord as hard as possible, there isn't really a reason to care what kinds of troops you have in your army except keeping a high cav ratio in order to keep a decent map move speed.

Agreed for sure on this. Love me some horse archery on any sort of play through. I’ve always been a foot soldier kind of guy (FIAN CHAMPIONS) but I have loved the new patch and finally the transfer troop mid battle for console is finally working and I’m so happy cause now I can do just that split my troops mid battle and use either the foot soldier type archers to attack from different sides or do drive by sort deals with the horse archery. Ah man. The feels I tell ya. The feels.

When I'm casually world conquesting I often end up using like 40% Outriders and the rest heavy cav and shock infantry of whatever sort.

Outriders are plentiful everywhere and upgrade without a need for horses, their wages are cut in half with 2 perks, they function as lancers after they run out of arrows, and ... they are made of paper so you level medicine. With bow and riding captain perks eventually they are decently durable, however, so they end up holding their own later in the game.

The wages I think shouldn't be underestimated, since half of the world conquest game is just bribing clans into joining my faction unless you're going execution style. Recruiting clans can make the conquest go much faster once you have substantially more than everyone else, and mainly depends on a constant flow of denars.

They've become my favorite troop over time.

Khans guards are cartoonishly overturned, agreed

In game time speedruns don't care much about unit types. I try to get a bunch of aserai infantry early and palatines after my inf is set up, but the ai is too soft to bother setting up elite cav right now.

I do them on max difficulty and play every fight and the game is over in 2 to 3 years

Khans guards are cartoonishly overturned, agreed

In game time speedruns don't care much about unit types. I try to get a bunch of aserai infantry early and palatines after my inf is set up, but the ai is too soft to bother setting up elite cav right now.

I do them on max difficulty and play every fight and the game is over in 2 to 3 years

I find if you manually fight battles the AI likes to turtle at the back of the map when it has disadvantage. This gets tiresome since you spend a lot of excess time walking your infantry and archers up to the enemy in basically guaranteed wins against weak parties/armies. For saving yourself a lot of real time mounted units are amazing.

The +30% move speed banner helps, but when you have horse archers and cav it just makes the whole ordeal less annoying and you can give them better banner buffs for combat. Plus you move faster on the map. Plus you get reinforcements faster, so generally less likely to get screwed by reinforcement RNG.

I used Druzhinniks/Outriders or Catas/Bucellarii for Sturgia/Empire respectively but I eventually want to try Faris/Mamluke for some extreme projectile flanking shenanigans.

Granted, there's a point where 90% of your battles are sieges and you're just marching from fief to fief taking them over, but before that, anyway, mounted units are still kind of the way to go for speedy field battles while lord hunting as you work your way up to higher clan tier.

Last edited:
Imagine the dorks out there using "Outriders"

Why are you so slow that the enemy has time to turtle at back of map? Khan's Guard quicker than that

I find if you manually fight battles the AI likes to turtle at the back of the map when it has disadvantage. This gets tiresome since you spend a lot of excess time walking your infantry and archers up to the enemy in basically guaranteed wins against weak parties/armies. For saving yourself a lot of real time mounted units are amazing.

The +30% move speed banner helps, but when you have horse archers and cav it just makes the whole ordeal less annoying and you can give them better banner buffs for combat. Plus you move faster on the map. Plus you get reinforcements faster, so generally less likely to get screwed by reinforcement RNG.

I used Druzhinniks/Outriders or Catas/Bucellarii for Sturgia/Empire respectively but I eventually want to try Faris/Mamluke for some extreme projectile flanking shenanigans.

Granted, there's a point where 90% of your battles are sieges and you're just marching from fief to fief taking them over, but before that, anyway, mounted units are still kind of the way to go for speedy field battles while lord hunting as you work your way up to higher clan tier. The full review of the game you can find here
I think Druids and cataphracts are normal options for Sturgia and Impire respectively.

Back
Top Bottom