Two weapon fightin? (dual wielding)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rebel King said:
There seems to be a lot of posts where people do not think having two wielded swords isn't realistic in a battle or useful, as having a shield and sword would be the same as wielding two swords into battle (as some are suggesting).

If you're saying having two swords during war isn't realistic then I would urge you to rethink how the game is played; for example, when a character that is travelling outside the castle, you have a view of the whole map, which is unrealistic as humans back then didn't have that much of a view of the whole kingdom or where allies troops are located (and viewed constantly through out the game they didn't have google earth, etc). Going back to 'if duel swords is realistic during battle' I say it is, in the midst of chaos of battle a person would grab anything to survive. Thus, duel swords should be considered when playing Mount & Blade.

If we're speaking of gameplay where duel swords would be the same as a shield, then it's practically a preference if I wanted duel swords or a shield and sword. Personally, I would choose duel swords as it looks badass for the character. I acknowledge that there would be cons when wielding two swords such as being more vulnerable to arrows, javelins but that's fine. I accept those consequences for looking badass.

I personally- I'm sure others would too- would love having duel swords in the game, as it adds more options to how a person can play the game and is not limited to a certain amount of weapons and looks.  :cool:.

Therefore we should add dragons, laser, robots with plasma laser sword that look like dragons, horses that breath fire, bikini chainmail, sympathetic nazi, killer bunnies, SPACE MARINES, people who want dual wielding in MnB but aren't annoying, hydras, skeletons, planes, space ships, land sharks and magic.

Since many of the things Bob named can be fined in the mods, that gave me an idea. Maybe someone should take the challenge and try to make a dual-wielding weapons mod, although I think it would be almost impossible with the Warband mechanics.

Bobtheheros said:
...people who want dual wielding in MnB but aren't annoying...

Unfortunately that's impossible with current computers and would cause runtime errors and BSODs.

Andrix said:
Since many of the things Bob named can be fined in the mods, that gave me an idea. Maybe someone should take the challenge and try to make a dual-wielding weapons mod, although I think it would be almost impossible with the Warband mechanics.

It's been attempted several times, but the amount of effort required to add a feature that's going to be completely unbalanced and broken from the start puts most people off. The best that can be done is to add a shield that looks like a sword.

jacobhinds said:
Bobtheheros said:
...people who want dual wielding in MnB but aren't annoying...

Unfortunately that's impossible with current computers and would cause runtime errors and BSODs.

Your side of the debate is also not golden :razz:

Twezie said:
As I see it, the controls for dual wielders would be:
THERE WONT BE DUAL WIELDING IN WARBAND

u guys think these would work?

There are many more examples I can dig up.

Thank goodness banging out long posts about Italian rapier are in my past.

The various schools of rapier* are far too late in time to consider for M&B/Warband's timeline. They're also centralised on fighting in confined areas, namely the streets and alleys of towns and cities. As the weapon was essentially a civilian's sidearm, developing out of the shorter, lighter weapons of auxiliary soldiers, armour was not really a consideration and having a companion weapon/item (buckle, main-gauche, dagger, second rapier, cloak) was rather handy in warding off attacks or to use offensively against an opponent**. It effectively gave you more options.

There's a massive difference between fighting on a battlefield against masses of opponents bedecked in armour & fencing against one-on-one or in groups in the streets of a town. Especially when you consider the crush of the melee;
rapier17 said:
Have you ever stood in a big crowd? A big crowd of hundreds, if not thousands or tens of thousands? If not then I'll try to explain from my own experiences from two occasions that stuck in my head - both when I saw bands (MUSE at Wembley Stadium & Iron Maiden at Twickenham Stadium). You're there with people either side of you at the start, in front and behind, with enough space to comfortably move around a bit, move your arms, your own personal space. Then the band appears on the stage. Everyone in the crowd, except those at the front, moves forward to better see the band. Suddenly that personal space is gone as people press into you from behind, from the sides, you can't move properly as the weight of the crowd is pushing you forward, to the left or to the right. Those at the front resist and, like a tide, the pressure suddenly reverses, and then those at the back push forward again and it becomes a tug-of-war as the crowd pushes backwards and forwards.

That is what a melee is. Masses of people pushing forward, left, right, backwards, crushing you from all sides and even, as happened to me when I saw MUSE, lifting you off of the ground with how dense and tightly packed it is. Now imagine that the people pushing backwards are the enemy and they can't move properly as you can't - what would you rather have? A shield to passively defend you from the enemy, and to help use for leverage against them when it comes to the 'pushing match' or a second weapon you can do damn all with? At least with a two handed weapon such as a war hammer you can use it as a quarter-stave to push against your foes with or jab past the heads of your front rank to attack the faces of enemy who can't properly defend themselves. It's a no-brainer really - stay alive longer or die quicker.

*I studied the 1594 revised treatise of Giacomo di Grassi & the 1610 manual by Ridulfo Capo Ferro
**How can a cloak be used offensively? There are tricks and ways in which you can use it against an opponent - whip it in front of their face to put them off, tangle their blade in the cloth, you can even throw it over their head!

Bobtheheros said:
Therefore we should add dragons, laser, robots with plasma laser sword that look like dragons, horses that breath fire, bikini chainmail, sympathetic nazi, killer bunnies, SPACE MARINES, people who want dual wielding in MnB but aren't annoying, hydras, skeletons, planes, space ships, land sharks and magic.
I know this was posted like a month ago, but **** you just made my day

DarkThug said:
So I come back after 10 years and 400 pages later, This thread is still on first page ? Good job M&B community  :cool:
I think the worst thing about this post is that you joined in 2008. For those bad at math, 3 years after the thread was made. Eh GG WP.

This thread is pointless. Both sides can only repeat their arguments until one side's sick of hearing and saying the same thing over and over again. Though, I'm kind of disappointed that this debate is sterile with no true satisfying conclusion that clearly states that one thing's better and more fun than the other, but well I guess that after 10 years of arguing and debating, it was bound to be like this.

Happy birthday pointless thread!  :party:

My math is crappy or did I lose two months of life somewhere along the road?

Also, there are few pretty good concluding posts, but both sides tend to have nasty habit of completely ignoring what was achieved so far and posting "best idea evah", thus starting another ****storm.

kabogh said:
Though, I'm kind of disappointed that this debate is sterile with no true satisfying conclusion that clearly states that one thing's better and more fun than the other, but well I guess that after 10 years of arguing and debating, it was bound to be like this.
I would say* that the "No" group consistently maintained the upperhand through use of logic, evidence & practical experience of utilising the weapons, armours & martial arts of those of various eras - until the next person wandered in saying "I think dual wielding should be in M&B because 'rule of cool'/ninjas/samurai (Musashi)/vikings/<insert popular media/culture reference>" and we started all over again. It's been that way since I first started posting in this thread a long old time ago - page 233 to be precise. As a fun quote from that time;

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
I am at a loss at how we are still discussing this some 200+ pages later.

*As an advocate of the "No" side, take my opinions with a pinch of salt - there is obvious bias there.

Back
Top Bottom