SP Dark Ages The Sword And The Axe

Users who are viewing this thread

Finally I finished reading all comments in this thread and I am amazed by amount of stuff that have been done since release of 2nd version...

Antonis said:
Well, the project kind of evolved.  :oops:
Sorry I didn't tell anything guys, I have no exvuse. But anyway, here is the news:

Currently, I am developing a project about all Europe in 270BC. I asked phlpp, author of Gekokujo mod if I can use his module system as base and he very graciously agreed. So, that mod will feature 20 factions and some mini-factions, Diplomacy and more. Then, I thought, why not keeping the finished "core" module system intact(without the antiquity extras, the dialogs and such, only the features) and then use it for the Sword and the Axe. Also, I added the features mentioned in our Steam page, implemented by Lightbringer(or Theoren, as he is known here). This means a couple of things: The "new" mod will consist of 20 factions and counting, all over Europe. There will be raids in English monasteries(that's already done by the Gekokujo module system, I just had to play with the code and poof, it's now done), independent factions, beer drinking, an in-game encyclopedia and more. Also, this means that there will be only two "Viking" factions, one in Scandinavian peninsula and the Danes, but there will be(there ARE, as a matter of fact) many more, like the Saxons(the mods takes place in 860, remember, so no Normans around England at the time), the Caliphs, the Byzantines, the Carolingian Franks, Frisians, Bulgarians, Rus, and more.

Now, the serious things: The time. The new version of the Sword and the Axe will be released after the Conquestum et Sanguinem mod,  so it will take some time. I already am working on it in my spare time, so when time comes to deal with it full time, a lot will be ready, but still, it will take some time. But probably before Bannerlord.  :razz:

according to this is there any chance that great moravia will be in the mod? if yes i would be honoured if i could make some scenes for it as i live in that part of europe :grin:

So, to answe both: Yes to Great Moravia and yes to the Danes. So far, I have the map and the basic factions ready, they are 21 in number, some bigger, like the Byzantine Empire and the Franks, other smaller.

dykjozo, I remember that you offered me good help back then, so thank you. I of course would be glad if we could work together.

The names of everything, items, troops, factions, settlements are in the language of the faction. The Arabic names are of course, not written with the Arabic alphabet, I use the "Latinized" version sorry.

Now, release date: TBD, most probably next year. I am already making another big mod in all Europe in 270BC, I have done more stuff, so that takes priority. But I am working slowly for the Sword and The Axe, too, at the same time.

If you need help with translation of the danish items, I'm always available.

If not, then I'll go cry myself to sleep. Jokes, good luck with the mod.

I know, thanks. To be honest, I haven't completely decided what to do with some shared items. For example, besides the general axes and scythes and stuff, for which I use the english term for convenience, since all factions use those, items that are shared between two+ factions trouble me. Fore example, the Petersen line swords, the ones most know as 'Viking' swords were used by all Scandinavians and Danes, I believe. So, how should I translate the word 'sword'? In Norwegian, Dannish, Swedish?

Good to know :smile: As I said I would help with some scenes. I made one or two castle scenes for awoiaf mod, but i stopped because my old laptop limited me ( I used to play m&b using lowest options on direct x 7 :grin: and still had some lags ). Just curious - which settlements are going to be in GM?
And if there was anything else i can help with...you know holidays...nothing to do for 2 months and no part time job yet :grin:

Antonis said:
I know, thanks. To be honest, I haven't completely decided what to do with some shared items. For example, besides the general axes and scythes and stuff, for which I use the english term for convenience, since all factions use those, items that are shared between two+ factions trouble me. Fore example, the Petersen line swords, the ones most know as 'Viking' swords were used by all Scandinavians and Danes, I believe. So, how should I translate the word 'sword'? In Norwegian, Dannish, Swedish?

Old Norse?

dykjozo said:
Good to know :smile: As I said I would help with some scenes. I made one or two castle scenes for awoiaf mod, but i stopped because my old laptop limited me ( I used to play m&b using lowest options on direct x 7 :grin: and still had some lags ). Just curious - which settlements are going to be in GM?
And if there was anything else i can help with...you know holidays...nothing to do for 2 months and no part time job yet :grin:

Well, so far, there's not really much you can do, as I said, only very basic stuff have been made. About settlements, generally, I stick to the biggest, most known ones. Shame, but I cannot make them all appear.  :smile:
As for Great Moravia, the mod is taking place in 870AD. That means it's the beggining of Svatopluk's  rule, right? Anyway, I decided to stick to the principalities, for forts and cities, like Silitia, Nitra, Pannonia and Wislania. Then, the villages will be settlements of the region, but with the more recent names, I haven't found so man names from that time.

That goes for everyfaction. The fort and the towns act as the 'focal point' the pricipality, where villages are the settlements. I got that idea froma what I already knew(I had to research for other factions) about Byzantine empire, which was separated in 'themes' principalities. Then, I saw that was more or less for every faction I had in the roster, so I am going to adopt it as a system.  :smile:

MarchHare said:
Old Norse?

Of course, old. The only things I cannot put are the `, umlauts and such symbols, I don't know if there's a fnot in Mount and Blade that would accept them.  :smile:

Antonis said:
Of course, old. The only things I cannot put are the `, umlauts and such symbols, I don't know if there's a fnot in Mount and Blade that would accept them.  :smile:

That might have to do with the Warband restriction on special characters. I don't know how to get around that, not being a modder and whatnot, but surely any developer from the others Viking era mods can help you with it.

To make it easier, just use the old norse language like MarchHare suggested.

If you'd translate "Sword" to old norse, it'd be "Sverd," if you use normal letters.

Sverd it is, then. Thanks, both of you, guys! I will see what can be done for special characters. I don't own Viking Conquest, so I don't know if they use there special characters. If yes, that means they can be used and I will do so. Any info on that?

I am mainly thinking about Nitra because I live 50km from it :grin: Yeah and it is good to have Svatopluk there, during his rule GM was the biggest ever. I have some books about GM as well as some historical magazines, so I will try to find some names. Actually they names aren't very important in historical view, so they can be named rastislav, slavomir, miloslav or other traditional slavic name...

Antonis said:
Sverd it is, then. Thanks, both of you, guys! I will see what can be done for special characters. I don't own Viking Conquest, so I don't know if they use there special characters. If yes, that means they can be used and I will do so. Any info on that?

Viking Conquest I dunno, but I would suggest downloading Vikingr, a MP mod that I'm very fond of. I think they use special characters for classes and maybe weapons, but I know they use the term Norðmenn in the mod, so at least, it's something.

Thanks, I will. I must confess, I never gotten into Multiplayer Warband, so I haven't played any Vikingr. Propably a bad decision, since I hear many people say it's amazing.  :smile:
I will download it and see how are the neams and such, thanks!

So after reading through my books i haven't found anything about nobles in GM, but I have found something about fortification of some settlements (Nitrawa, Dowina, Mikulcice, Krakov and some other minor villages) On Slovak and Czech web pages I found out that Pannonia was under rule of Pribina's son Kocel (vassal of Franks) at that time. I haven't found anything about Silitia.
Common soldiers used to have light or medium armor, liked to use javelins, spears, axes and shields.
Kings guard had heavy armour and there were little cavalry that was similar to frankish.
In one documentary about Ducove was mentioned building of Church by noble, but his name is unknown
So nobles in GM would have been Svatopluks sons Mojmir II and Svatopluk II (they were step-brothers)
and Slavomir
After Svatopluk's imprisonment he led an army against Frankish invaders. Franks gave Svatopluk soldiers to defeat him, but instead he joined Slavomir and defeated Franks.
Slavomir was from Svatopluks family and It is said that he was actually Svatopluk's son Predslav, but there is little know about his 3rd son as well as GM :grin:
full_68ba89_f_normalFile4-n-mikulcice-archeopark-03-mapa-velke-moravy.jpg

In the middle of the map, there is territory that was considered as GM when Svatopluk became a king (Děvín = Dowina , Mikulčice was the center of GM, although it was smaller than Nitrawa and less protected)

Oh, thank you! Nice toop research, some names I can use(surely not only those people mentioned had them) and thanks for the map, very useful for settlement names.

Back
Top Bottom