The Soviet scientist challenge

Users who are viewing this thread

Wendek said:
Hey, do you have an issue on the "road" map where you don't have your baggage ?! I just realized this, and am not sure how I'm supposed to beat 149 men with 104 arrows without the ability to replenish ammo. Frustrating that I had to "retreat" when I had dispatched all the dangerous enemies and just needed some arrows... or even my melee weapon. In fact, sometimes I spend so much time trying to find it back, but now I also checked at the beginning and it wasn't even there. Wut ? Is it somewhere else than the starting point for some weird reason ?

Just abuse the retreat function, it's what I do with my army of Hatamoto Archers :p

btw Tuidy are you playing with the horse speed change  on or off? I find that feature way too annoying  :???:

On.  If you watch my videos, you will see me going back to my starting point to 'refresh' my horse.  Some fights, I do it three or four times, especially if I am trying to make the enemy leave their hill.

The previous few weeks had shaken Iwan's confidence in Tokugawa's ability to unite Japan.  Tokugawa's lords seemed to have a lot of trouble making it to the front lines, and they had actually lost a lot of territory to Mori.  Trying to figure out what was wrong, Iwan spent some time reviewing what he knew about Tokugawa's vassals.  It turned out that they more or less fell into three categories: loyal, longstanding vassals who had been rewarded with numerous fiefs, rebellious lords with no holdings of their own, and one single newcomer, who seemed to be willing to give his new lord a chance.
wxMGudN.jpg

Tokugawas empire was having trouble holding its own because it had grown too big.  The loyal lords had huge armies and crushed all resistance easily, but took many days to reach the frontline once they were done supervising their numerous fiefs.  The newcomers were attracted to the many available fiefs, but Tokugawa was taking his time with assigning them, which was making him decidedly unpopular.  Some of the landless vassals would spend their time on the front lines, and even take the cities and castles weakened by Iwan.  But Tokugawa was unwilling to assign fortified fiefs to people who disliked him intensely, so he would favor his long term vassals.  As a result, he was quickly losing the most active of his new vassals.
HuubVpy.jpg

There was little Iwan could do apart from destroying Mori's armies, and repeatedly assaulting their holdings.  It was slow going, but as Mori was beset on all sides, and Tokugawa wasn't really fighting anyone else, he was hopeful.  After all, with so many garrisons reduced to single digits, Tokugawa's lords were bound to capture some, once they actually made it to the fight.
3R9L2vV.jpg

Iwan spent a couple of weeks in Mori territory, hunting down any lord who ventured outside their walls.  He did not want to give Mori a chance to fight back, so he did not even take the time to visit any cities but theirs.  He was infamous, and the gate guards knew him on sight, so he became pretty good at just battering his way in and losing himself into the crowd.  He tried to rescue Mori's enemies, every time he learned one was in jail, but he felt he did not have the time for proper preparations, so very often he had to leave them behind.

By the time Tokugawa's truce with Chosokabe was about to expire, Mori had lost 17 population centers.  Tokugawa still only had two lords for every three of Mori's, but at least new hopeful vassals were replacing the ones who defected or were indicted for treason.  Iwan hoped that Tokugawa would refrain himself from attacking Chosokabe once the truce ended, but he didn't really expect it to happen.
MpmXVPe.jpg

And indeed, on the 342nd day, Tokugawa resumed hostilities with Chosokabe.  At least, Mori had been greatly diminished, so Iwan switched his efforts towards facilitating Chosokabe's defeat.  With one city and two castles, they might be easy to eliminate... but it all depended on how quickly Tokugawas loyal lords would bring their huge and unwieldy armies to bear.
Jt7tg6L.jpg

You could become a mercenary which technically does not violate the "no Lord" rule :razz:
Then you can capture stuff for Toku and make suggestions to all his Lords that love you so more coordination.

Also I saw in one vid that you release captured Lords... well yeah they escape :S
You could try throwing them in a neutral fort but since you can't build a prison tower there it's still a whopping 30% escape chance.
It probably would be a lot easier if you could built prison towers there and just lock up all the enemy lords forever :mrgreen:

There are a few things that I could technically do.  But it's a challenge, and it's meant to be different from the usual way things happen in Mount&Blade.  Becoming a mercenary would involve simply besieging and taking all non-Tokugawa castles, once. I do not need the other lords, my 15 men can handle everything.  I will keep trying until I hit a wall.  It's funny, because all Tokugawa progress is being done by lords that are about to be kicked out, and by loyal but clueless lords who can't find the actual campaign. 

As for imprisoning lords, you can actually sell captured lords to lords who are their enemies, in Gekokujo.  It's just that, as part of Iwan's roleplaying, he is supposed to make friends, so that he can influence politics after the unification.  I do not see him capturing and selling lords.

I have to say, with all this back and forth, I have learned a lot about how the AI operates, and all these lopsided battles are quite fun, for a few hours every weekend.

Hey Tuidjy.

I just wanted to say that i loved to follow your character and the way you played!

Oh and lots of your comments on the forums are really helpful i noticed, lots of knowledge even for experienced players.

Btw, seeing how you played this character in Gekokujo i thought you might be interested in the Tolkien Mod "The Last Days".
Its working exactly like you played with Iwan! You cant have fiefs and are helping your faction to win. Maybe you wanna try it :razz:.

Back
Top Bottom