The Red Wars, Calradia 1923

Users who are viewing this thread

i like Soviet war in Afghanistan. but it in 1980--

ak47 1947
akm 1959

i think 1923 is non have more more guns.

Thanks rad,  you are right, it will be too hard to simulate true 20th century warfare. But we are going to try our best to get pretty damn close.

i was imagine
1376623_579384272126555_555462739_n.jpg
999086_555057514559231_2068967977_n.jpg

Maybe this is just me, but am I the only one turned off by the explicit mention of Islam- something very much from this 'verse- in the supposedly Calradian setting of this mod?

I'm all for modern warfare; the Russian Civil War mod for original M&B is something I still play on the demos. And while I do have misgivings with trying to strongly graft this or that real life culture onto Calradian nations without trying to "build the other way"- out from those cultures- I can still easily handwave or ignore stuff. But the "Islamic" mention gives me cold feet.

Still, best of luck!

ClearlyInvisible said:
Still say making an Islamist faction isn't the best of choices.

Yeah, we argued about it for about 4 hours on Skype, not exaggerating. But in the end we decided it would not be that big of a deal, I mean it's strongly hinted in dialogue and in art assets that the sarranids practice Islam.  Maybe it wasn't the best idea to explicitly mention it, but this is a fake game in a fake world. If the use of the I word makes you detest this mod, I hold nothing against you. Nobody is forcing you to download this.

ScreamingCommie said:
ClearlyInvisible said:
Still say making an Islamist faction isn't the best of choices.

Yeah, we argued about it for about 4 hours on Skype, not exaggerating. But in the end we decided it would not be that big of a deal, I mean it's strongly hinted in dialogue and in art assets that the sarranids practice Islam.  Maybe it wasn't the best idea to explicitly mention it, but this is a fake game in a fake world. If the use of the I word makes you detest this mod, I hold nothing against you. Nobody is forcing you to download this.

To clarify, the explicit mention of Islam in Calradia isn't enough to turn me off the mod alone. Not by a long shot. It just gives me cold feet in the sense that it makes me cock my head and wonder "Huh? Is this the best idea?"

In any event, you still have me interested. I just hope that clarifies things.

On a more curious note, where is it implied that the Sarranids practice Islam? Most of what I've seen indicates that while they definitely lean that way, actually diagnosing it as Islam proper is a bit dicey.

I'm with turtler here. The #1 rule of low fantasy is that, if you're basing off historical states, you rename everything. You don't need to call them "islamic" specifically if it's so heavily implied. It just feels a bit weird, like when bad fantasy writers just plonk the crusades into their constructed universes, and call them The Crusades.

Well officially, pakistan, iran, afghanistan are officially known as the Islamic Republic of <nation>. Since the Sarranids are suppose to represent that area of the world, we thought it would make sense to represent them sort of as their real world counterparts in a pseudo-historical manner, which is why the emergence is a little bit early time wise.

Back
Top Bottom