The Peloponnesian War - Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

QuickDagger said:
You are the one saying naked, not me.

My point was that many think hoplites wore Armour.

let me be clear, The troops that took the aspis or hoplon to battle could probably afford armour, at least to a minor extent. The men that wore Exormis to battle probably did it to be faster then the heavier Hoplites, AKA the light hoplites. 

Goddamn it DoctorPringles, throwing me off.  :razz:

"Hoplite infantrymen were the military ideal of ancient Greece and were recruited from the wealthy middling ranks of society, particularly the farmers." This is a direct quote from PBS.

"17 - The low tier hoplites and soldiers. Many vases, paintingd etc show naked warriors fighting."

I was just correcting him that that wasn't true. He did only suggest they go into battle with "half Exormis", which I assume means shirtless or somesuch.

DoctorPringles said:
"17 - The low tier hoplites and soldiers. Many vases, paintingd etc show naked warriors fighting."

I was just correcting him that that wasn't true. He did only suggest they go into battle with "half Exormis", which I assume means shirtless or somesuch.

Well thats what i was replying to. That and your reply too. I need to stop using commas so much.

DoctorPringles said:

QuickDagger said:
Many vases and paintings show that. Do yourselves a favor and buy some Osprey books.

My thoughts are pretty much what Angry brought up quoting Hurwit, there's no point in implementing it nonetheless. I'm not fond of modelling dildos either.

Maybe this is me being patriotic, but how about adding Lindos,Ialysos or Kameiros on Rodos?  (villages perhaps)

You ever thought of adding unique Mercenaries? Casse Swordsmen, West Baltic Axemen, Celtiberian Heavy Infantry, Ethiopian Archers, Lusotannan Light Spearmen, etc.

You ever thought of adding unique Mercenaries? Casse Swordsmen, West Baltic Axemen, Celtiberian Heavy Infantry, Ethiopian Archers, Lusotannan Light Spearmen, etc.

There is very little to no evidence British Celts travelling to Greece to hire themselves out as warriors. Same with the Germanic Baltic people I asume you meaning by Baltic axemen. Celt-Iberians were restricted to the Western Med so I can see them in Carthaginian armies. The Ethiopian Archers were strictly speaking actually Nubian and even though fairly well documented for a nation South of Egypt were not popular as mercs. Greece often used Ethiopian for black ethnic groups. Even Celts were not really used in Greece as mercs during this period. They only became popular during the Hellenistic Period. Syracuse seems to be the earliest Greek power to hire large numbers of Celts as mercs.
The Dii are unique and featured more than most other thracian tribes as mercs during TPW.  I thike the fact that they are a unique merc.

Rhomphaia said:
There is very little to no evidence British Celts travelling to Greece to hire themselves out as warriors. Same with the Germanic Baltic people I asume you meaning by Baltic axemen. Celt-Iberians were restricted to the Western Med so I can see them in Carthaginian armies. The Ethiopian Archers were strictly speaking actually Nubian and even though fairly well documented for a nation South of Egypt were not popular as mercs. Greece often used Ethiopian for black ethnic groups. Even Celts were not really used in Greece as mercs during this period. They only became popular during the Hellenistic Period. Syracuse seems to be the earliest Greek power to hire large numbers of Celts as mercs.
The Dii are unique and featured more than most other thracian tribes as mercs during TPW.  I thike the fact that they are a unique merc.

With the Odyrisian Faction coming into play, The dii swordsmen will not be unique any longer. Greece had its hands in everything at the time and who is to say that they did not have exotic mercs? Your just saying greece did not use these mercs. Im not thinking solely on greece. Im thinking the Spaniard mercs for Carthage, Kush for the persians, Baltic Axemen for the Odyrisian. We know they existed, So why could they not be swords for hire?

With the Odyrisian Faction coming into play, The dii swordsmen will not be unique any longer. Greece had its hands in everything at the time and who is to say that they did not have exotic mercs? Your just saying greece did not use these mercs. Im not thinking solely on greece. Im thinking the Spaniard mercs for Carthage, Kush for the persians, Baltic Axemen for the Odyrisian. We know they existed, So why could they not be swords for hire?

Please dont get me wrong, I would love to see more unique mercs. I was just saying Exotic mercs were rare in Greece. I was alos focusing on the specific mercs you were indicating such as the British Casse tribe and the Nubian Archers. I agreed with you on the point of Celt-Iberians for Carthage. If unique mercs are to feature they must be area specific I think.
I liked your info on the celts you posted by the way. Some nice pics to.

Rhomphaia said:
Please dont get me wrong, I would love to see more unique mercs. I was just saying Exotic mercs were rare in Greece. I was alos focusing on the specific mercs you were indicating such as the British Casse tribe and the Nubian Archers. I agreed with you on the point of Celt-Iberians for Carthage. If unique mercs are to feature they must be area specific I think.
I liked your info on the celts you posted by the way. Some nice pics to.

Why thank you, sir.

I agree with you 100%. The only question is, how would you implement this in the game? 

Why thank you, sir.

I agree with you 100%. The only question is, how would you implement this in the game? 
[/quote]

I have no idea sir!

This came across me when reading a book, but would it be possible to sacrifice cattle for Morale bonuses?
or perhaps more effects.

Also surgeons for hire would be nice if it was historical.

Komemnos said:
This came across me when reading a book, but would it be possible to sacrifice cattle for Morale bonuses?
or perhaps more effects.

Also surgeons for hire would be nice if it was historical.

Alexander the great had a surgeon corps. Socrates was big into medicine, I really dont know how that would work in game since you cannot go above the cap of 10.
So if you had 4 surgeons with 4 surgery skill, 6 of those skills would go to waste.

How about a very skilled surgeon at a high price?
That price should be costly at first, but would save money later on since it saves recruitment cost by keeping soldiers alive.

Almost forgot, trade could use a bit of a boost. maybe more items like bronze.
Tried the merchants routes, and making profits is really hard, got 2k now.

Hi.

The shield/health/horse/ icons and generally whole UI need an overhaul to fit the antiquity, but I believe you're about to do that in some later versions. :smile:

That's all for now.  :smile:

Lynores, regarding sea travel, Europe 1200 developed a way to make your party travel three times faster in sea than in the land, using Ruthven code, including moveable sea textures

You could check that, and even try to speak with the team leader to see how they did that (As a primitive idea, It could be an added line in the trigger to make the party faster)

Sorry didn't read whole thread, too lazy for it  :razz:

I was taking battle with some pirates and I was bit disappointed.
Sea battles should be improved. Sea was important on those days. It gave food and travel routes.

Ships were best technology, like trireme etc.
You should make some ships, bigger and smaller, (cheap / expensive). Of course with smaller ship it must be harder to sink bigger ship, but it must be possible.

Add ability to maneuver ships and if you crash to other ship with hing speed, it will sink, and some of crew will die, some wound and drown. rowers from other side will survive but will be prisoners of winners (if winner decides to take them), or if player has more ships, they will be rescued.
Other way is boarding and take over enemy ship with soldiers. If those soldiers slip overboard in ocean (or ship sinks), they will drown (if heavy armour and weapons). And when ships rams others, paddles are cracked if hit and it will stun and slow ships.

Make docs where fleets can be bought, repaired or garrisoned. You can buy rowers from there. (should be cheap and armed with little sword and somekind of shirt, but no heavy armour)

basic commands like, speed up, slow down, left, right, stop rowing and fight, board in etc...

If you like this idea, make it better somehow :smile:
and if there was one idea like this, thumbs up for it  :grin:

That seems like it would be extremely difficult to implement. I remember something -similar- on the original Mount and Blade, can't remember the name of the mod, but I don't think it'd be simple to port over. If it's possible, it sounds great, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm thankful we have sea battles -at all-.

DoctorPringles said:
That seems like it would be extremely difficult to implement. I remember something -similar- on the original Mount and Blade, can't remember the name of the mod, but I don't think it'd be simple to port over. If it's possible, it sounds great, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm thankful we have sea battles -at all-.

Well... im not modder! :grin:
Their decision if it is possible to do....

Edit:
just remembered that Persistent World has got sea battles!

Back
Top Bottom