The Peloponnesian War - Open Alpha Test Feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Komemnos said:
Angry Newbie said:
Personally my favorite faction is Qart Hadasht, and i like the Samnite as well.

Light hoplites?
I play everything on average, and rarely lost men to missile fire.
Right now I'm using hoplites to distract the enemy's archers and peltasts then lead my own skirmishers around the enemy.
Peltasts seem to do well at flanking.

i rarely use peltasts or even missile troops with my hellinistic troops. Light Hoplites make excellent flanking force and are ment to fight too.

I remember someone saying that light hoplites were good at defending against missiles, but in my own experience heavy hoplites are far superior due to higher shield skill and better shields. I suppose light hoplites do have their use in flanking the enemy, I shall have to try that. I've only just been using heavy hoplites, with no missile weapons whatsoever. Might start picking up a smaller regiment of light hoplites now.

Also, why do light hoplites have 8 points in power throw, if they don't actually use javelins?

DoctorPringles said:
I remember someone saying that light hoplites were good at defending against missiles, but in my own experience heavy hoplites are far superior due to higher shield skill and better shields. I suppose light hoplites do have their use in flanking the enemy, I shall have to try that. I've only just been using heavy hoplites, with no missile weapons whatsoever. Might start picking up a smaller regiment of light hoplites now.

Also, why do light hoplites have 8 points in power throw, if they don't actually use javelins?

I thought that light Hoplites had higher shield skill. Historically The light hoplites where introduced to chase down and engage the skirmishing troops of Hellenistic armies. They should have higher shield skills and obnoxious athletics, At least to be able to chase and kill peltasts.

I will review all troops and weapons properly, there are some weapons and equipment that need tweaking as well.

Well, if I remember right the Light Hoplites had 6 shield skill, while Heavy Hoplites had 8,  and Epilektos had 10. The Light Hoplites do, however, have ridiculous athletics.

Maybe a speed increase on map movement would work, I find the map is to big to keep with the original native speed, e.g sieges can never be broken in time, or enemies never met in time.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but in the Achaean troop tree,the Achaean hoplite shows up twice in the tree.

Doryphoros ->Achaean Hoplite->Achaean Hoplite

DoctorPringles said:
There's also two types of Spartan Champion, with nothing to distinguish which is which when you're upgrading.

Not sure but I think the Spartan Champions differ in colour.

let me clarify that the spartan champions are ok right know. They had the same aspis design but in different colours and the laurel crown earned in the Olympic Games and both protecting their king.Let me explain that in spartan armies the best soldiers are located in the first line of the phalanx
Here you got a pic

Komemnos said:
DoctorPringles said:
There's also two types of Spartan Champion, with nothing to distinguish which is which when you're upgrading.

Not sure but I think the Spartan Champions differ in colour.

Is that the only difference? :O Perhaps we could get a little descriptor on the upgrade button, like where it says "Spartan Champion (120 Denar)" it could say " -Red" or whatever their colors are, if that's the only difference.

tenerife_boy said:
let me clarify that the spartan champions are ok right know. They had the same aspis design but in different colours and the laurel crown earned in the Olympic Games and both protecting their king.Let me explain that in spartan armies the best soldiers are located in the first line of the phalanx
Here you got a pic

Thats not what i read. The Hellenistic phalanx rank was made up by age. Youngest in front and oldest in back. The older veterans would push the younger not so veterans and so forth into battle so they could not run. They say a Hellenistic rout was so bad that wounded and slower men would get trampled underneath the faster and frantic survivors. 

I can officially confirm that there are two types of Spartan Champions, with almost identical abilities. However, the one with the white armor has 1 fewer hit point and lower strength and agility. That's the only difference. Me senses an error.

DoctorPringles said:
I can officially confirm that there are two types of Spartan Champions, with almost identical abilities. However, the one with the white armor has 1 fewer hit point and lower strength and agility. That's the only difference. Me senses an error.

Your right. There are also 2 Phoinikos Hoplites, 2 Acheaon(?) Hoplites and 2 Senior Samnite warriors. Tbh i like them because it provides color to an otherwise dull and boring army. 

Which is great, if one wasn't inferior to the other in terms of stats. Is it a huge difference? No. But it's still something to be noted, methinks. :razz:

DoctorPringles said:
Which is great, if one wasn't inferior to the other in terms of stats. Is it a huge difference? No. But it's still something to be noted, methinks. :razz:

So what though? They are still more then a match for most soldiers recruitable by most factions. Your right in that it is a bug, and still needs to be taken care of.

It´s too boring in Thrace!

Not many bandits to fight and not many cities to travel to.

Thrace was the most populous faction during TPW. Well it was a bunch of tribes indeed but, anyway.

I've noticed some weird things during the tournament.
Firstly, sometimes the player has less equipment than it should.
for example, it might have a bow without a sword, sword without a shield or even armless.
It seems that the AI has a Celtic two handed sword WITH a shield while the player has no weapons seems a little funny.

Secondly, I don't know if this is the right thread to post this but there seems to be some historic inaccuracies?
some examples are, (I've started at Macedon) Alexander is the king of Macedon, where I believe the mod is during the "Peloponnesian war" where it is set before a Century before Alexander the great's birth.

anyways, that's what I have noticed so far. Other than that it seems like the best mod I played so far with this game. Good job!

Oh, and I forgot. It's no big deal but is it possible the colours of the tournament teams could be slightly more noticeable?

Back
Top Bottom