The Peloponnesian War - Open Alpha Test Feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

90% of the parties I meet are cretans, and the helots I do stumble upon are no bigger than 10 men.

Komemnos said:
90% of the parties I meet are cretans, and the helots I do stumble upon are no bigger than 10 men.

Where exactly on the map are you? From what Im seeing (building up my faction around Miletos and Halikarnassos) I've yet to run into many parties of Cretans, I've only stumbled upon Cretan pirates once, and forming shield wall seems to be an effective way of removing their projectiles from the equasion. From what I found, its no longer practical to dance around like its Native and be "rambo" on horseback. Especially on Normal damage levels, it doesnt take 3 Grosphos to down you, but usually 1, I just sit behind my shieldwall and give orders as necessary. I also usually deploy archers or skirmishers just behind the shield wall, and usually they're able to fire over it until the enemies are too close. As for Hoplites losing to Cretans, something tells me they're not formed up, I find the loosely deployed Cretans just get gobbled up by Hoplites in Phalanx. As for training < casualties, I stocked up on food, I have several NPCs, with Training skill at 2-4 on them and 6 for me, and sat inside a city letting the troops level up. I find it works very well to rapidly convert youths, doryphoros, and Hoplites, into Heavy/Senior Hoplites. And in the case of some troops who dont have a "full" troop tree (like Samian Hoplies, Rhodian Hoplites, and Ephesian Hoplites) they're coverted to Veterans and are maxed out after the one upgrade.

Also, Im glad the upkeep is now 1 denar, as it shifts emphasis from the Native style Feudal armies, and more towards comparatively easily maintained semi-professional state armies. Far less book-keeping and far more tactics. Another tactic I find good is to let two Phalanxes engage eachother, then send Cretan archers, Peltasts, or more "Barbarian" style troops with the Romphaia, and flank the Phalanx. From what I've tried this is usually decisive as a small party of these flankers can often cut down 80-120 enemy hoplites before the full rout ensues, where they are more capable of cutting off the enemy retreat.

I've beaten 20 cretan pirates with 18 (10 doryphoros and 8 javeliners)  men super easy :grin:

I believe the best Strategy for beating those pirates are letting their archers(who ever comes there is always at least one guy) come to you.

Have your javies in skirmish kill that dude. Next  move up in the same formation (hold fire so your javies dont waste their javalins)
Then send your doryphoros to attack one side of the pirates line.

The pirates turn to face them. like this ( equals where the shield face.                  ((((((((((((((((((((((
^^^^ equals your doryphoros  and your javies equal *******                      ^^^^^^^
                                    you =  $                                                                                          ********
                                                                                                                                                $
Now after your javelins got a few rounds of charge them they wont turn their shields. you can also attack where javies are and get a few kills  :cool:
If you need me to post pics just tell me

I've amassed like 14000 denars by day 18 just by killing helots and cretan pirates. I now have a hardened group of 32 high-level hoplites. I think the bandit/loot/money progression is pretty spot on.

I got one thing because everything else was covered that I had problems with (but not big enough problems to not play the game). But this really bothers me, when fighting the shield wont block up or down, and when I try and stab it wont work with a shield, specifically the Agis and when I can stab it doesn't aim down or up just at one plane level.

Swagg3r said:
I've amassed like 14000 denars by day 18 just by killing helots and cretan pirates. I now have a hardened group of 32 high-level hoplites. I think the bandit/loot/money progression is pretty spot on.
What the?

I only got like 750 including loot for a battle facing 40-50 cretans.

Komemnos said:
What the?

I only got like 750 including loot for a battle facing 40-50 cretans.

750+loot is good income, and if you had read what Swagg3r had written you would have noticed he spent many days(in game) hunting bandits, if you expect to get 14k from 1 party of bandits....  :shock:

Victob122 said:
I've beaten 20 cretan pirates with 18 (10 doryphoros and 8 javeliners)  men super easy :grin:

Sounds like someones playing on easy settings  :roll:

I snagged a city as soon as I could and now Im raking in funds, its not exactly difficult to formulate money making strategies.

750+loot is good income, and if you had read what Swagg3r had written you would have noticed he spent many days(in game) hunting bandits, if you expect to get 14k from 1 party of bandits....  :shock:
And if you read my post, you'd know that the loot wasn't the issue, but the fact that Cretans slaughter my doryphoros.

The only issue so far is ship combat. Falling off the ship=doom, the combat interface isn't available either. Maybe make ships bigger too, it gets laggy with 50+ soldiers fighting on 3-4 ship decks that aren't very wide. Other than that great mod, and maybe add an ability to throw the dory in combat?

I'm having an awesome time so far! The cities look excellent and the textures of the armours and weapons are great.

Is it possible to, perhaps, have two weapon modes for weapon's such as the Dory. Underhand mode (could have bonus against cav) and overhand mode for dealing with infantry. Also, their seems to be some minor issues with large shields. For example, they are not working well with the plumes of the helmet (visually).

I didn't even know TPW had naval combat yet, so i better check it out.
With the new features you will add TPW will be great. Keep up the good work guys.

EDIT: Played naval battles - went ok, I actually prefer stationary maps as Naval warfare in mods like Brytenwalda has been troublesome.
However, I noticed that my troops did not have banners over their heads, I got confused and didn't know who to stab.

Yeah the lack of banners with naval combat can be very confusing indeed.

I also noticed i dont get any loot when fighting on ships. Now i first have to herd them like cattle tofight on land, just for the loot.  :smile:

What does exactly the Increase AI level and Increase behavioral response does in the options?

I mean, there are four options (disabled, low, mid, high/experimental) but i don't know if those make the AI more agressive to the others factions or more likely to start a war

Being knocked down by shields gets annoying when you can't stand up when fighting two men, and maybe add more ladders when besieging castles, it gets too crowded and you end up waiting the whole battle as your soldiers die. It's been done in previous mods too, 3 ladders instead of one, or bigger ladders, and the ability to get inside the castle and open the gate.

NacroxNicke said:
What does exactly the Increase AI level and Increase behavioral response does in the options?

I mean, there are four options (disabled, low, mid, high/experimental) but i don't know if those make the AI more agressive to the others factions or more likely to start a war

Check diplomacy.

Komemnos said:
And if you read my post, you'd know that the loot wasn't the issue, but the fact that Cretans slaughter my doryphoros.

If your on the Greece peninsula, Avoid every bandit besides helots with your life.
    Do the beginning quest and other quests and rack up some funds
    When you have double or triple the number of Illyrian or Cretan bandits then you can attack(Dont worry you will take horrendous casualties).
    Rinse and repeat till you have a force of about 50 or 60 men. With a Ratio of about 20 light Hoplites with 40 heavy Hoplites. Use the light Hoplites with their obnoxious shield skill to cover your heavier hoplites from missile fire and heavy hoplites to protect the lights from cavalry and heavy infantry.

If you cant take off with that advise i dont know what to tell you. Dont recruit City specific troops till your well established and have steady income from Being a merc or lord, spartans are not represented as gods and rightly so. This is not 300.

Personally my favorite faction is Qart Hadasht, and i like the Samnite as well.

Diplomacy's alliance feature is my only real complaint. Because everyone builds up alliances with..everyone, when a war is started EVERYONE goes to war. This leads to mass peace deals only days later, so factions can't actually accomplish anything. If that were somehow disabled I think it would lead to much more meaningful wars and give factions the ability to expand.

Have to agree with above, would much rather everyone just didn't get into alliances.

Also, I'm not certain if this has been brought up before, but is there a way to keep the enemy from running right through your spear and getting up in your face? Like, if your spear is pointed directly at them, they shouldn't be able to ignore it and approach you. Sort of like a buffer.

Angry Newbie said:
Personally my favorite faction is Qart Hadasht, and i like the Samnite as well.

Light hoplites?
I play everything on average, and rarely lost men to missile fire.
Right now I'm using hoplites to distract the enemy's archers and peltasts then lead my own skirmishers around the enemy.
Peltasts seem to do well at flanking.

Back
Top Bottom