SP Other The Gathering Storm - A Wheel of Time Mod (Beta) Latest Version: V0.2.7d

Users who are viewing this thread

For adding back faction behavior in 0.27d, you can just use the simple_triggers.txt file from 0.27a.

If you want to do it manually, replace (in the module script)

## Added this to remove forever
      (eq, 0, 1),

with a blank line, and compile. That gets you the same thing.

Removing the notifications is a bit more complicated, but basically you'll have to search for

(call_script, "script_add_notification_menu", (some message), ":faction_1", ":faction_2"),

And wrap that around with

## TGS: mat: altered to make the declaration 'silent' unless it affects the player
(try_begin),
          (this_or_next|eq, ":faction_1", "$players_kingdom"),
          (eq, ":faction_2", "$players_kingdom"),
            (call_script, "script_add_notification_menu", (some message), ":faction_1", ":faction_2"),
(try_end),
## TGS: mat: end

In module_scripts it's ":kingdom_a", ":kingdom_b", in simple_triggers it's ":faction_1", ":faction_2"

Sorry I can't be more precise, prob don't have permission to post any files. (Besides, I have other modifications in there).

-----------

This shouldn't mess up an existing save game, but it goes without saying that you should always, always back up.

One consequence: If you are the ruler of a kingdom, unless you want to be at war with half the continent or don't mind atrocious relations, you might want to turn relation penalty with "failure to respond to causus belli" off. This is by changing stuff under the variable "logent_policy_ruler_ignores_provocation".

Love this mod! Great job on the map and the creation of the various factions.

For my own kicks, I've been slowly going through the conversation and dialogue files and removing "Calradia" references. I've also done some editing to make some of the dialogues feel more like the WoT universe, like saying "Thank the Light" instead of "Thank the Heavens." It's not done yet, but I'm working on it. I've also added some "Burn me!" and "Blood and bloody ashes!" here and there to try and capture the feel of the books.

Some things are tricky, like conversations regarding becoming "King of Calradia." Those I've tinkered with to say things like "Heir to Artur Hawkwing's empire," since that empire did span most of the in-game map once upon a time.

I've also changed the names of the books in game to reflect the same desire to make it feel more like WoT. For instance, the book that gives you a bonus to weapon mastery is now called "Sword Forms of the Blademasters," while the book on tactics is called "Fog and Steel." Where possible, I tried to use actual in-universe books like "Voyages Among the Sea Folk" and "Fog and Steel" where I could, but others I had to make up, like "Herbs of the Two Rivers" for the wound treatment book ).

(Side note: I would love to change the descriptor of "masterwork" to "power-wrought" for high quality weapons, but I can't figure out a way to do that. Suggestions?)

Glad to share these changes with mod authors if that is desired. I'd love to be able to contribute any small amount to this great mod.

Well, that would be great and that's something that this mod really need (among some other things), but bad news is that this mod is probably abandoned by it's developers  :cry: (Mat2rivs & Vaerraent), and we can only hope that they'll come back and continue developing it.
Anyway, there is (or was - I don't know, web page is currently offline) developer's wiki page where they, but other members also, can work on the mod, so maybe it's good idea to try to add your modifications to the current, under-construction version of the mod and hope that someone will notice change and take an interest on continuing development. If I remember well, Mat and Vaerraent even called for help for cleaning cursed Calradia from the mod and adding some unique WoT dialog terminology. But the wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Wiki page is (or was) here:
http://tgsmod.net/

If nothing happen, I'd like to have your modification, so if I may ask you, please publish it somewhere and send ma a link.  :grin:

Good luck my boy, and may you always find water and shade on your journey.  :wink:

Ok, well, if someone will use it, I'll forge ahead. My modding skills are meager, but I'll do what I can. Tonight, I've updated the "Wandering Minstrel" and "Wandering Ashik" and the like into Gleeman and a Court Bard. I've also updated the "hints" you see on loading screens to provide some WoT lore.

Next, I'm going to edit the default poems and songs the bards teach to ones from the Wheel of Time. Just a matter of going through songs on the wiki and seeing what seems to fit for overwriting the others. Then I was planning to update "Khergit War Bow" or "Sarranid Boots" with something else. Not sure what, though.

One major need is coming up with claimants for all the various factions that don't have one currently. I'm not even sure how to edit those dialogues yet, but it's something I noticed needs done to make the mod feel more complete. It sort of takes you out of the universe to see "kingdom 8" on a claimant in a throneroom. Maybe one claimaint is an Aes Sedai who's "pulling the strings" behind the scenes for a change in a monarchy. Trying to be creative, because obviously not every faction has a claimant as clear as Elaida or Mazrim Taim.

Band of the Red Hand*
Two Rivers*  -- a Coplin or a Congar? Too silly?
Mayene*--A Tairen looking to assert his nation's claim to Mayene (would get weird if you won, and then went to war with Tear, though).
Ilian*
Murandy*
Altara*
Arad Doman*
Tear*
Ghealdan*
Far Madding* -- Maybe a man who's goal is to wrest some of the power from women?
Tarabon*
Amadicia*
Children of the Light*--an inquisitor who is dissatisfied with Galad? Another captain who wants to rule becasue Galad's related to an Aes Sedai?
Shienar*-- a veteran borderlands warrior who wants more aggressive tactics (this could be for any of the borderlands)
Arafel*
Kandor*
Saldea*
Shara*
Sea Folk*
Madmen*
Toman Head*

Those claimant backstories sound good. Especially like the Tairen lord for Mayene. Fits very well with the lore. And given the inclination towards internal power struggles between the Tairen nobility it wouldn't seem all that weird if he saw his position as ruler of Mayene as strong enough to vie for independence.
For a lot of the others it should suffice to make up a name fitting the nation's "naming style" and just make up a whole backstory from scratch. With all the subplots in WoT I'm sure there are tonnes of local intrigues we never get to hear about.
As for Toman Head, if possible there should be two different claimants. One from Tarabon and one from Arad Doman. For the same reasons as the Mayene/Tairen thingy.

OK, glad to hear you think I'm on the right track. I like the Toman head suggestion, though I think it's beyond my skills to add a second claimaint. Please send other suggestions for claimant stories, though, everyone!

What about the other NPCs who frequent the taverns? Like the "Travellers" becoming Tinkers? Not sure they'd spend a lot of time in taverns, but . . .

And are they ideas for changing "Mercenary Cavalry" or "Mercenary Swordsman" and the like into more WoT-specific character type?

I'm kind of motivated on this right now, so I'll try to do some updates and then make it available for others to check out this weekend. (Hopefully I'm not stepping on the original modders' toes here--I just love the mod and want to contribute if I can).

I spent the morning picking songs for the Gleemen to teach you, and found some from WoT lore will fit nicely.

Any ideas for what to change Sarranid/Khergit gear to that makes sense?

At first it should suffice to make it either a Taraboner or Domani lord. Shouldn't matter which. But I'd personally go with Domani since they aren't almost unilaterally assimilated by the Seanchan nearly right off the bat.

The mercs could probably stay as they are. There are several mentions of general mercenaries in the books after all. Maybe make some of the lower tiers into merchant's guards or whatnot.

I'd assume Mat and Vaerraent wouldn't mind too much. My estimation is that Mat got too preoccupied as his kid grew older, same as I did, and also why I never finished my banner project for this mod.

Just change them to Saldaean, or generic Borderlander horsebow and whatever faction wears the Sarranid stuff.

Seems I'll have to learn to use the python stuff if I want to edit dialogues for the claimants. .  . not too keen on that right now.

However, I did have a brainstorm that I could edit the names of the "Guildmasters" or "Village Elders" in certain towns to make them more WoT-like. Specifically, I was thinking of renaming those to "Roofmistress" for the Aiel lands, and maybe Mayor for the Two Rivers towns. Other suggestions?

Hey guys,

For anyone still reading the thread, I have a question.
So in one game, I helped Arymilla and overthrew Elayne. For some reason Elayne stayed in the game as a vassal of Arymilla after the faction was destroyed. I decided to start a new game and this time overthrow Egwene. The problem I'm having is that Egwene leaves the realm after the faction is destroyed. Anyone know how to make her stay or do you think the Elayne one was a random glitch?

Thanks

ccoste05 said:
Hey guys,

So in one game, I helped Arymilla and overthrew Elayne. For some reason Elayne stayed in the game as a vassal of Arymilla after the faction was destroyed. I decided to start a new game and this time overthrow Egwene. The problem I'm having is that Egwene leaves the realm after the faction is destroyed. Anyone know how to make her stay or do you think the Elayne one was a random glitch?

Thanks

If you overthrew both in the same way, it's either a glitch or something to do with some scripted event that requires Elayne to stay in the game.

Lord Cavalcante said:
ccoste05 said:
Hey guys,

Thanks

If you overthrew both in the same way, it's either a glitch or something to do with some scripted event that requires Elayne to stay in the game.

If anyone still cares, I figured out how to overthrow Egwene and get her to stay. Message me if you want details

Back
Top Bottom