The GameTrak Controller

Users who are viewing this thread

Archonsod

An old salt from the mainland
Marquis
Actually got the Gametrak controller (http://www.in2games.uk.com/testsite/index.php)(along with Real World Golf) and its not that bad. It could possibly work in M&B, though Armagan would have to be quick - they're already planning to release a sword fighting game for it.

The device itself consists of the main unit (connects to the PC via USB) a single button mat which plugs into the front (designed to be used via foot) and two gloves which connect to the main unit via string (its actually better than it sounds!). It's quite comfortable to use - its rather easy to stand near the main unit (quite a good length USB cable so you can get fairly far from your desk) so the string connectors don't get in the way (by the way you don't feel any pull from the string either, so you can move your hands freely). The button mat is designed to be used by your foot, so no problems using the thing. I was impressed by the range of movement it could pick up, even subtle movements are translated into the game. It can also pick up your relative position to the unit.
The device acts in a similar manner to two analogue joysticks for generating XY co-ordinates of the hands, but has the addition of a Z co-ordinate. When you think about it, its basically just two joysticks that can return their height as well as the direction they're moving in. Its quite a simple idea really, but it works amazingly well. In fact a lot of the ideas used are so intuitive you wonder why no-ones thought of it before. In game calibration is minimal - simply a case of getting the user to stand with their hands on their head for a couple of seconds so it can get their height (arm length is constant depending on height, so once you know how high the player is you can track a lot of things by the relative position of their hands).

It could work quite well for M&B. Movement can be handled by asking the user to extend both hands in the direction they want to go(works surprisingly well). It means stopping automatically if the user wants to do something else (at least on foot) but hey, you can't have everything. Utilising weapons and shields is quite easy too - the player can literally wield them. The button can be mapped to "use". The only potential problem is switching weapons and shields - you'd either need to have some strange gesture (both arms extended upwards?) or else rely on the weapons your armed with. Menus etc are quite simple, since you use the hand movement in conjunction with the button to choose something (i.e. moving your left hand to the left scrolls left, with the foot operated button acting as the LMB).

The good news is that its no more difficult to implement than an analogue joystick. The bad news is that its not really worth using in M&B, since you'd need to program in free range of movement for the character's arms. However in something with skeleton based animations/physics (such as Dark Messiah of Might & Magic) it would work amazingly well. I just wish I had the knowledge to make a patch for Die By The Sword - this kind of controller would make the game a hell of a lot more playable.

Oh, for those interested, the golf game isn't that bad. Acceptable graphics (they're not really the point though..) several 18 hole courses and a range of golf based subgames. The only problem is if your not used to playing golf, it doesn't half hurt your shoulders after playing for a while. It supports up to 4 players via hotseat (hotgloves?) though you can also plug in additional controllers if you have them. The fact you get the controller free with the game is a bonus.

But if I had a device like that I would have to stand up and move around just to play a game. It looks like dancing and that is not allowed in my fortress of solitude.

Not really, hence the hurting shoulders. It's a way I can fool myself into thinking I'm getting exercise, hence I don't feel guilty about not going to the gym....

Course, when they release that swordfighting game it probably will be exercise, but then I won't have to kid myself anymore.

Or something.

Dammit, its a cool new toy!

Back
Top Bottom