Sword to sword Interactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Sword to sword interactions I think are realistic and would make fighting one on one battles a lot more fun, however if it happened too much it would ruin the game for me as I like to slash my way through the vast majority of enemy soldiers and just let my troops pick off the stragglers.
Maybe there should be a skill that affects interactions. Only NPC's would have it so that combat is not really changed, but fighting the gaelor/jailer in rescue missions could be implemented where your on your own one on one. It would definitely be 'edge of your seat gameplay'.
Assasins could also try and take you out so you have 1 on 1 battles with them.
I wouldnt want to have steppe bandits clashing swords with me as I ride past on my horse.

nox said:
so, very very long story short is that you do not generally attempt to parry with a real slashing weapon.  The slashing weapon has no defensive role.  If you actually DID hit the other dude's weapon, you would break or bend them both.
You might want to explain how I know a myriad of longsword parries, then. 

Magic.

On a more serious note I do hope for more stylistic weapon choices should Armagan ever set his eyes on M&B2.  The longsword is a particularly deadly and elegant weapon - by far one of my favourite forms to watch due to the myraid of ways it can be used.

I don't claim much in the way of personal knowledge, but I've seen some demonstrations and its damn impresssive stuff.

this could make the game great fun, but there must be an overpowering factor, if its like a balanced swword of war clanging with a knife, it really shouldnt block....

Ever hit a club or a staff or other wooded object while mounted with a heavy swing? It just deflect off. Wouldn't it cut clean through both weapon and wielder?

Hebrew_Hero said:
Ever hit a club or a staff or other wooded object while mounted with a heavy swing? It just deflect off. Wouldn't it cut clean through both weapon and wielder?

Do a test yourself, get a friend to hold a club sized lump of wood, and you swing at it as hard as you can. If you like you could even do a driveby swing to simulate a horse. At best your axe gets stuck in the wood and now you have no weapon.

P.S if your going to try this you might want to think about having a ambulance on standby for when you hit four friends hand by mistake.

also getting back on topic, can there be a sound when my club, interacts with another club, the sound effects are like metal on metal like swords clanging, but shouldnt there be more of a dull thud?

Yea that would be cool. Also swords should break in battle if they are, used heavily. Like when your shield breaks, you have to pick it up from a corpse, it be sweet to pick up a new blade cause yours broke in half.

Hebrew_Hero said:
Yea that would be cool. Also swords should break in battle if they are, used heavily. Like when your shield breaks, you have to pick it up from a corpse, it be sweet to pick up a new blade cause yours broke in half.

umm... not very realistic unless your figting with a dagger against a sword of war... or like a scimitar or something

swords weren't designed for clanging against each other, blocking with a sword would only be done in a last ditch situation, and both swords would be pretty jacked up....not to mention the physics involved pretty much ensure that to successfully counter a slash, you need to jam it or avoid it......you holding on to your swords handle isn't going to have much influence against the 150-200 lbs behind the sword your trying to block.

most of the the steel swords you can order from catalogues are nice and springy, but tend to not hold a blade for crap.....some of the advanced ones actually are superior weapons, but make use of technology unavailable at the time.

historical weapons tended to hold blades extremely well, but were also brittle, meaning that only the most exceptionally well crafted weapon would stand up to blade on blade contact without severe traumatic notching and/or warping/breaking.

If there were interactions they should be based on the wielders strength and the strength of the weapon, who evers was higher would push back the sword and have a free hit.

eg: A two handed weapon would over power a one handed ect, or if the weapons were the same eg: 2 two handed weapons the users strength would be used.

In terms of swords being made for blade-to-blade contact... yes and no. European sword arts clearly had a lot of focus on blade contact. For instance, German medieval longsword techniques of the period (the "bastard sword" in the game is really more of a longsword in this context) put a lot of emphasis on these sorts of tactics out of necessity. The weapon could be used one-handed, but had much greater control and strength with two, and generally would be used without a shield. As such, the sword is both your weapon AND your shield.

The swords had to be resilient enough to handle this. Yes, they were tempered to a softer hardness than the superior modern replicas, but they were generally more well built than most mass-produced replicas today.

The German manuscripts put a lot of emphasis on "feeling" your opponent's blade during the brief moment of contact. That is, whether they're "hard" or "soft" in how they're striking. This is important since you want to do the opposite-- if they're "soft", meaning they're probably pulling back to go around your weapon, you want to push through and strike them before they can complete such a maneuver. If they're pushing hard, you need to move aside and attack around their weapon.

There are a lot of ways two swords can come into contact... obviously there are harsh perpendicular hacking-cuts, but the blades can also slide into contact with one another. The move used will depend greatly on what your opponent is doing, but generally the wide hacking motions that hollywood has made popular weren't as common, since they're slow and leave you open.

Obviously a great deal of the historical techniques can't be modeled in a game. However, sword parries were indeed an important part of medieval combat. The swords did break from time to time, but they weren't designed to never come into contact.

Oh, I wanted to add another thought-- You'll also see a lot of swords today that are used in reenactment and the like that are built to be much stronger than the historical originals, because they're expected to withstand the rigors of reenactment use for years. So they're over-engineered and heavier than the originals, not just using better steel. Though some of the better trainers made today, such as those from Arms & Armor (armor.com) and Albion (albion-swords.com) are very well balanced like historical combat weapons, and withstand a lot of abuse.

Historically, a weapon may only need to last through one war. So it would be built to perform, not necessarily to last. Then again, there were a lot of crappy swords made back then too.

Medieval steel was not as good as modern steel in terms of homogeneous distribution of carbon, and also impurities. The smelting process would leave silicate inclusions, which to some degree weaken the steel, but also made it very resilient against rusting. It's all a trade-off.

Anyway, sword breakage was a common and real concern. :smile:

Lt. of the tower said:
Please don't double post mate.

that's not the case here. He was right not to edit. Those are two long posts, it's easier to read them than one huge post.

They were also a day apart. :smile:

I should note, to be fair, the German longsword manuscripts I'm referring to (Liechtenauer techniques, as referenced by masters such as Paulus Kal, Talhoffer, etc) were later in the period. starting in the 14th, mostly 15th, and into early 16th centuries (Liechtenauer himself would have been in the mid 1300's, but probably did not originate these techniques, but rather was the first to document them). Training manuals generally weren't written down before that, and single-hand sword relies on many of the same techniques, and a lot of the techniques that worked would have been handed down for centuries.

I'm just extremely happy the game isn't including the Star Wars "saber lock" sort of thing you see in the movies. The only function that serves is as a cinematic trick to get close-ups of the characters and allow for some dialogue. Trying that in a real fight will get you killed. :smile:

NecroBones said:
Trying that in a real fight will get you killed. :smile:

yeah, getting that close and be "stuck" doesn't happen. Most likely you'd be trying to punch/kick/grab the opponent :smile:

Yeah. I just realize how I dislike when they do it in movies :grin:

Back
Top Bottom