Support

Users who are viewing this thread

So I'm using 2.54 and I decided to start a game with no cavalry (other than a couple of mounted companions) so I'm relying a lot more on pre-battle orders to get my infantry/archers set up.  The problem is, they're not behaving the way they're supposed to behave, and it's really starting to frustrate me.

I'm not doing anything fancy.  I set infantry/archers to hold initially, then each take 10 paces forward for their first action.  Second action for archers is stand closer, no second action for infantry.  Infantry formation is set to shield wall, archer formation is set to ranks.  When I go live, what happens is this: the archers advance forward and stand in a long single line, while the infantry stand in a big clump off to the right, well behind the single-file line of archers.

Needless to say, this results in my archers getting cut to pieces while I try to get my infantry into position.

Can anyone explain why this is happening?  It didn't used to happen before I started this game.  I didn't have many archers and infantry, but what I had behaved properly.  Is my game corrupt?  Does this happen to anyone else?  This is making my game pretty much unplayable.

Gruumsh said:
So I'm using 2.54 and I decided to start a game with no cavalry (other than a couple of mounted companions) so I'm relying a lot more on pre-battle orders to get my infantry/archers set up.  The problem is, they're not behaving the way they're supposed to behave, and it's really starting to frustrate me.

I'm not doing anything fancy.  I set infantry/archers to hold initially, then each take 10 paces forward for their first action.  Second action for archers is stand closer, no second action for infantry.  Infantry formation is set to shield wall, archer formation is set to ranks.  When I go live, what happens is this: the archers advance forward and stand in a long single line, while the infantry stand in a big clump off to the right, well behind the single-file line of archers.

Needless to say, this results in my archers getting cut to pieces while I try to get my infantry into position.

Can anyone explain why this is happening?  It didn't used to happen before I started this game.  I didn't have many archers and infantry, but what I had behaved properly.  Is my game corrupt?  Does this happen to anyone else?  This is making my game pretty much unplayable.
You could have troops mixed in with your archers that shouldn't be there. Some troops don't have tf_guarantee_ranged, which is what the game looks for to determine if they're archers or not. Having a bow isn't enough, etc., and you could even have "archers" that have no ranged weapons at all.

Some faulty NPCs like this that I'm not sure have been fixed yet include the Sarranid Tabardariyya and most if not all of the bandits.

The reason this is a problem is because the script will refuse to use an archer formation for an infantry group, and vice versa. So instead of that, it'll go into a default formation, which is the straight line. But as far as I know, this will only happen when there's a certain percentage of troops without tf_guarantee_ranged mixed into your archer division, maybe 10% or more, as 1 or 2 stray units won't mess it up

Best way to fix it is to use Morgh's to fix the NPCs that have bows but no tf_guarantee_ranged.

Hanakoganei said:
You could have troops mixed in with your archers that shouldn't be there. Some troops don't have tf_guarantee_ranged, which is what the game looks for to determine if they're archers or not. Having a bow isn't enough, etc., and you could even have "archers" that have no ranged weapons at all.

Some faulty NPCs like this that I'm not sure have been fixed yet include the Sarranid Tabardariyya and most if not all of the bandits.

Aha!  Thank you, I think this may be the problem.  I've been pressganging forest bandits and training them into Swadian longbowmen, so I have a significant number of bandit troops.  I'll give your suggestion a try.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, do you know why this "feature" was implemented in the script?  If I want my infantry to stand in ranks and my archers to form a shield wall, what's the harm?  What's the rationale for forbidding it?  At the very least you should get a red error message like, "WARNING: Formation selected invalid for troop type, defaulting to NONE."  At least that way you'd know why things weren't working.

I'm not entirely sure, but it doesn't seem intentional at all. More like an oversight because of how complex the script was becoming. The scripts use a variety of checks for troop types to prevent other unnecessary errors, like making a shield wall using archers that have no shield, etc. The script fails and it sends them into the "default" line formation when the division doesn't seem to fall under any proper grouping (either infantry or archer).

Since we have 9 possible divisions, it shouldn't really be a problem to split up various kinds of infantry, archers, etc. Personally I keep my units in separate groups based on role (shield infantry is in group 4, crossbowmen in groups 5 and 8, spearmen in group 1, etc.), because it allows me to move each group in their own formation individually.

I am reworking the expanded troop tree of floris and started changing the party templates for AI recruiting. I noticed that each 5th reinforcement template (letter e) seems to be not used by neither centers nor heros (lords). At first I thought it might be because of the cost of the templates but after some searching figured out that the cost only affects the amount of templates while each time a template is choosen randomly.
I didn't plan on using python to look things trough / change things.

Can somebody write a definite list of templates used by each script (cf_reinforce_party and hire_men_to_kingdom_hero_party) and especially confirm about the usage of the pt_kingdom_x_reinforcements_e_e templates + clear other misconceptions I might have regarding AI recruiting scripts?

They are properly called in module_scripts.py for Native/Reworked/Expanded, but they're among the relatively rare reinforcements to be called. One of the reasons you might not be noticing troops from this reinforcement group is because a lot of the available units have a minimum of 0 to spawn.

Hanakoganei said:
They are properly called in module_scripts.py for Native/Reworked/Expanded, but they're among the relatively rare reinforcements to be called. One of the reasons you might not be noticing troops from this reinforcement group is because a lot of the available units have a minimum of 0 to spawn.

Thank you for your reply. That save me a lot of time.
It was exactly like you said. They are being called and I was simply not noticing those troops.

Can anyone tell me how, if it's at all possible, to deactivate the bonus damage polearms get against horses?  I understand that because of multiplayer the fanboys have a fetishized hatred of cavalry, but I'm getting increasingly irked at having my heavily-barded personal warhorses hacked out from under me by a farmer with a rusty pitchfork.  It's gone from one extreme of cavalry being unstoppable juggernauts to me now spending most battles on foot out of fear of having yet another 15,000 denar champion warhorse lamed by a looter.  I could leave the keyboard and let them beat ineffectually on my plate armour while I go and have a coffee, but they can murder my iron-clad horse with a sneeze.  Annoying.

SirKulinski said:
If you set-up camp  you can change mod options in there I recall it being somewhere near the bottom.

Thanks, I didn't even know that was there.  Now I can ride my horse again without fear of getting mugged by farmers.  :grin:

I'm having an issue with the latest version where companions wont equip the standard crossbow, despite being told to equip crossbows. They even remove it if it's put in the designated crossbow slot when they're upgrading equipment.

It's the normal Crossbow. Weight 3.0, Damage 64P, Accuracy 90, Speed 45, Strength 10, Cannot be used on horseback.

They have the strength to use it, because I CAN give it to them, they just wont recognize it as a crossbow when upgrading gear or something. Any way to fix this?

Not really sure as it's never happened to me. Does it only happen for that particular crossbow? What do they equip in its place? Melee weapons? Have you tried manually equipping them with other kinds of ranged weapons as well?

The item itself does not appear to be bugged. The itp_type_crossbow flag seems to be properly set on it, so there should be no reason the game wouldn't recognize it as a crossbow.

Only that particular crossbow type. They'll replace it with other types of crossbows if they can use them, otherwise they just empty the slot.

Doesn't seem to happen with bows or any other weapon.

I'm stumped. In terms of scripting or item flags and whatnot, that shouldn't be happening at all. I quickly checked both 2.54 and 2.55 versions and there doesn't seem to be anything that could cause that. If that bug persists even in a new game then it may be worth a deeper investigation.

Well, I did a couple tests. In a new game, I could not replicate the issue until I had about twelve companions. At that point the auto-equip started to bug out again, although with different items. The more companions I added, the worse the auto-select got. At the max companions, people started grabbing the wrong things for every slot, or doing multiple upgrades in the same slot in one go, or just taking off items and refusing to grab them. They were doing this in my original game too, I just hadn't notice because I was too busy raging about the crossbows. In both save, the first eight or so companions have no issues, but anyone after them start acting weird. Moving the three who would not take crossbows up in the ranks allowed them to work fine, but others started doing weird things too.

So if you have 10 or so companions, the auto gear wont work right. For me, anyway. Since having that many usually indicates cheating of some sort, which I was doing, (I wanted an all-companion, companion-only game and turned off companion defection,) I don't think it'd be a common problem. Thank you for trying to help me though!

having a problem, for some reason i get a message devide by zero line 11 and 13 it said something about entrenchment reinforcements

every time i battle reinforcements for enemy wont show up, and i get a message saying reinforcements have arived like 6 times before it says battle won

Back
Top Bottom