[Suggestion] - The Heraldic Editor

Do you like the idea of an in-game Heraldic Item Editor?

• Yes.

Votes: 634 97.4%
  • No.

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • I would, but I want to suggest some changes. (Post them)

Votes: 9 1.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

socks said:
I 1'd, but it'd only look appropriate on Swadian, Vaegir, and Rhodok cavalry, so don't put it on Nords, Sarranids, or Khergits. Those facs should focus on light cavalry, anyway.

What?

socks said:
Nords should focus on light cavalry

:shock:
No, Nords should focus on heavy infantry with just a little bit of light cavalry in support.

COGlory said:
As long as it wouldn't let you import images, that's perfect!
Indeed, but we'll need to have a large selection of items in order to compensate for that.

I'd like to see a rudimentary version of this implemented, with a small selection of items, so we could test if it works and suggest items to add. That would allow the devs to focus more on the gameplay issues, as well as get some groundwork done on the aesthetic side. Then, once we are closer to release, they can finish it up.

COGlory said:
As long as it wouldn't let you import images, that's perfect!

You could have it as it is now. If someone adds or imports images then they themselves only would see it. That would require a preset number of slots to which you could import and overwrite your own images.

I think maybe limit it to singleplayer only and then allow people to import images. I love the idea and though I am not exactly opposed to having it in multiplayer, I just think it would work waaaaay better in singleplayer only and they wouldn't need to spend as much time on the images available if you had the option to import. Of course importing images wouldn't work for multiplayer.. Sadly..

Voso said:
I think maybe limit it to singleplayer only and then allow people to import images. I love the idea and though I am not exactly opposed to having it in multiplayer, I just think it would work waaaaay better in singleplayer only and they wouldn't need to spend as much time on the images available if you had the option to import. Of course importing images wouldn't work for multiplayer.. Sadly..

Well, if they take the actual time to enforce it on Single player, having it in the editing options for Multiplayer will not be a problem at all. I don't see where, Multiplayer itself could be a deterrent problem to this idea.

Simply image moderation, there are plenty of people out there who would be inclined to have images of certain areas of the human anatomy on their banner.

it would be awesome to have an in game editor for  "multiplayer" that guy Voda, concerned about an occasional body part,  is way overreacting, about someone posting something unsavory, we still would have an option to ban the person or kick him from the server right?  So if the majority dont like an image we can just kick them!

Indeed, and the damage would be done by that point anyway. Better to keep them dicks'n'tits off our heraldry, eh? If the wankers insist, they can have cocks on them.

A large list of things to chose from works well enough. Especially if they make a basic version first, which will be expanded based on player suggestions/requests.

A while back I used something like this, I lost it somewhere but it allowed you to create your own custom heraldry, it was a simple little program and not that difficult to do I'd imagine, the benefit of doing it that way is that the heraldry would be tiny and easily implemented into multiplayer without having to download anything.

Timothy the Knight said:
The items would work in a similar manner as the heraldic items (shields, surcoats) we currently have, as in there's a basic item that takes a new form when someone with a banner takes it. but instead of just pasting the banner on them, these would look like what the player designed in the editors.

It is this that worries me. 

The 'current' mode of implementation, as I understand it, is that the heraldic banner is contained in a texture DDS file, and the application to heraldic items is just a generic mapping from those files to the BRF model.  To do as you propose sounds a bit more performance-intensive - meaning, that every round the computer would have to create and save 'new' dds files on your hard drive, to account for all the new user-defined textures from different players.  This could be a serious memory-and-performance hog.

Thinking out loud...

The only efficient way I see this happening is to overhaul the mapping, so that the textures map not as a whole but into only four quadrants (say) and one overall badge (or maybe several badge mappings).  And rewrite the mapping so that instead of mapping one whole done texture, it'd map, say, 5 or 10 separate texture parts.

This too will be memory intensive, but perhaps not as much.

The problem with this mapping-technique is that it is going to be far more constrained than your proposing.  I simply don't see how badge-placement can be done 'freehand' as you propose.  I can see the possibility of a limited number of mapping positions (e.g. six or ten, say) to place badges, but the possibilities are not likely going to be much more than that.

Now, as a single BRF model can only take mappings from single texture DDS, so ALL possible component 'items' would have to be placed on a single texture file.  This is going to limit your possibilities. On the other hand, since IIRC colors can be adjusted during the mapping process, this is not as terribly consuming as it sounds.

Back
Top Bottom