suggestion: scene_props batch automation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Harry_

Knight
Here's how i envision it:

import all your meshes and make collision meshes in the usual way.

make a selection of multiple brf "mesh" entries, right click or hit menu or whatever, and you have an option to batch process them.
It will take the mesh name, look for a bo_object in the collisions section of that brf, and output something like this:

("meshname",0,"meshname","bo_meshname", []),

And it could spit this out for every mesh you select from the list, into a small text window. Then you can just copy and paste the text to the end of your scene_props file. Or maybe you could find a way to append them to an existing .py file by browsing to find it, or something. That would probably be even faster.

It's just to speed up the process of exporting many scene props at once.

What do you think?

The idea is neat.
I'm curious to know what other people think about how often it would come useful.

Meanwhile, let me remind you that after you copy (ctrl+C) any object in OpenBRF,
you can directly paste its name in any text editor.

Neat but not new.
You had exactly the same thought than me when receiving a lot of batched scenery from artists for Star Wars Conquest.

Module System Manager does this since December 22, 2010. :smile:
The thing is to keep open the magic constructor and copy-paste from OpenBRF entries.

The scene prop lines are created instantaneously, collision included.

Code:
[i]A.[/i] Ctrl + C mesh from OpenBRF window
[i]B.[/i] The mesh name from the clipboard gets replaced in the background by a scene prop line
[i]C.[/i] Ctrl + V on your Module System editor

Take a look:
Code:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,131976.msg3622718.html#msg3622718

Swyter, your opinion then:

1- would it be useful then that OpenBRF places the scene-prop-line in the clipboard, with a special command?
maybe like under [edit] => [copy as module-system line] => [scene prop]

One reason to do so could be to make it include the "bo_" object only if there actually is one in the same brf file.

Other options in that submenu with similar functionality could be: [map-icon] and [module-mesh] (used for backgrounds).
Maybe [module item] too, but there's probably too many options to be specified in one item for that to be a real time saver (which would be left blank for the modder to fill) (it could use current ruler length as weapon reach, however).

Or, is this is better left to third party tools, like the one you link above (if I understand).
One reason to do so would be to keep OpenBRF interface cleaner.

2- independently, currently the copy-name-in-clipboard-as-text feature doesn't care for multiple selections.
Maybe it should produce a comma separated sequence of names instead?

mtarini said:
Swyter, your opinion then:

1- would it be useful then that OpenBRF places the scene-prop-line in the clipboard, with a special command?
maybe like under [edit] => [copy as module-system line] => [scene prop]

I would say that a special menu entry, like that would be perfect. A check box that switchs between copying mesh name and sprop entry.

That only copies the
Code:
"bo_<meshname>"
to the string if exists in the module or
Code:
"0"
  if not, like you say.
Scene props are the most cumbersome, because they often come in batches of 20+.

Stuff like map icons aren't particularly troubling. :smile:

mtarini said:
2- independently, currently the copy-name-in-clipboard-as-text feature doesn't care for multiple selections.
Maybe it should produce a comma separated sequence of names instead?

I prefer for 2nd option with Carriage Return as the separation. Once we have the lines in clipboard and pasting them into Notepad++, then it's simple to format the lines into any module_* format at once.

mtarini said:
Or, is this is better left to third party tools, like the one you link above (if I understand).
One reason to do so would be to keep OpenBRF interface cleaner.

It's always more efficient if one tool can do as much as possible. Switching back and forth can take only a few seconds, but lets say you have 50 environment props to do, you lose several minutes you could have been using doing something more useful

Plus i think obrf is just an excellent tool. It feels quite omnipotent and as long as new features are kept contextual, the small amount of extra clutter is worth it to make obrf the swiss army knife for any modder

So, added this in the latest version [0.0.80].
Better late than never, I guess.

The option is under the [module] menu and build props for all content of current BRF file.
The result is stored in the clipborad, ready to be pasted (ctrl+V) in the "module_scene_props.py" document

Back
Top Bottom