[NEED HELP] Why my material is working in blender but not in OpenBrf?

Users who are viewing this thread

velen

Recruit
Hello there,

I started having fun with modding M&B recently and I try to follow all available tutorials regarding 'proper' modding. I cannot find though anywhere why my mesh made in Blender looks fine, but when imported to openBRF, it has single colour all over instead of prepared material.
If the issue is caused by too new version of Blender or anything, please let me know that I need to downgrade it - I had this problem with Python before I found info about it.

I'm using the following:
Blender 3.3.1 for preparing meshes, materials, normals and speculus maps
OpenBrf 0.0.80e for obvious reasons
I tried online converters from BMP to DDS, and after thinking this may be the issue, I also downloaded "Easy2Convert BMP to DDS" 3.1, but this haven't changed anything.

Basically, I imported material, normal and specular into OpenBrf, made sure names are correct and made sure my mesh is supposed to use this material, but I see solid black colour in the brf file and similarly, some brownish tint of the same stuff in the game.

Please kindly advise if there is any step I omitted?

There are a few things I can think of that would match this description.

DDS uses a lot of different compression algorithms and so you'll need to use make sure you are using one supported by the engine.

The three recommended ones are
FOURCC nameDx10/11 nameTexture type
DXT1BC1No Alpha or 1-bit alpha (Cutout)
DXT3BC2Sharp Alpha (16 levels of Transparency)
DXT5BC3Gradient Alpha (Smooth Transparency)

Blender allows materials to generate UVs, based on a few different factors, but those aren't saved to the mesh on export. You should make sure you UV unwrapped your meshes, and either bake the material to a texture according to those UVs, or use those UVs in the material

Make also sure that you have the textures and the materials integrated at your brf-file. It might also depend on if you are viewing that brf-file within a module or in a separate module, although you would have seen a checked pattered then, not a single colour.

Thank you very much for quick response.
I found out the reason - I had to change exported mesh from .dae to .ply
Now it works fine!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom