Siege appears to be broken

Users who are viewing this thread

I am playing 1.2.9 and siege mechanics are wonky as ****. I am not sure what version I was playing before but it was before the release of 1.2.0 and while siege play was not perfect I could manage to advance the game minus any glaring defects. Now ambush works essentially as a stall tactic with no attack coming after destroying siege engines, ladders are arbitrarily available, if defending and the attackers siege engines are destroyed the whole attacking army will sometimes surrender en masse and lastly if using an army to break into a castle to defend it the lords in the army will be detached from the army and occupy the castle leaving the army with only its creator ( the only way to fix this would be to disband the army of one and "recruit" the lords again wasting precious influence points. I am surprised there arent any posts about this ****ery.

Last edited:
Now ambush works essentially as a stall tactic with no attack coming after destroying siege engines
I made a post about it, or maybe just a comment on another thread 🤷‍♂️

I liked using the ambush before the latest patch, but now it is worthless to me and I have not done a defensive siege since I noticed the change :cry:

I made a post about it, or maybe just a comment on another thread 🤷‍♂️

I liked using the ambush before the latest patch, but now it is worthless to me and I have not done a defensive siege since I noticed the change :cry:
I think I read your comment. I assume most don't even try to defend castles or towns else there would be more commenting about it. I found it to be one of my favorite things about the game. It breaks up the monotony field battles. Its fun and challenging especially when you are outnumbered and can pull off a successful defense of your fief. IMHO making defensive sieges less likely or removing certain aspects of it, takes away from the game, its a big negative. I got an idea lets shorten and simplify the siege mechanic and have less combat during a siege. Wah?

Also, attacking during a siege is also strange, albeit Ive only tried it once during this play through. The army I helped had a battering ram but no ladders. So essentially the battle was centered in the confines of the main gate. All that need to happen to speed up the siege was a few ladders but nope they weren't available. It was literally a boring cluster **** at the gate. This is a step back I only wish used GOG galaxy so I can revert to an earlier game but I cant. :sad:

Of particular concern is the disbanding an Army when you try to break into a siege. That is definitely a bug.

Does anyone know of a workaround or a fix for the Army disbanding when you break into a siege? This bug has completely dampened my desire to even play the game. I looked on the Nexus for mods that might fix it, overhauls and such, but most of those are either abandoned or rendered useless by game updates. None of them really address the issue anyway. At least not to my knowledge.

This is what happens when you break into a castle under siege.

to recreate the issue (1), have an army break into a besieged castle (2), while the army is in the castle run a few ambush missions or even just one (3), after the successful ambush wait for a few hours and watch the army management box and the lords will vacate the army (4), sally out to fight the besiegers or simply break out of the siege and the army is essentially disbanded except for the player characters unit. The player characters unit will be in the army and the former lords in the army will stay in the castle.

I suppose you could use it as an exploit to dump off a bunch of lords and their troops in a besieged castle or town, but you still have to spend the influence and I am not sure it would be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom