Series of questions by newbie.

Users who are viewing this thread

dragoness

Recruit
I just started play M&B Warband for like a week now, and I've got a few question regarding the gameplay.

If you don't like the answer to some question, you are always welcome to throw in your 2 cents.

1. Answered
"The Longer, The Better", in which situation would it be true? and in which situation would it be false?
1a. Is 80 for horse back too short?
A: For horse back, you need 80+.
1b, Is 140 for infantry too long? (other than anti-cavalry infantry)
A: For regular infantry, you need 140-, as 140+ are often too slow and don't do much damage up close.

2. Answered
I undestand Blunt and Pierece does extra to armor, by how much?
A: Something to do with armor_soak_factor and armor_reduction_factor, but seem like too much work for me to find out weapon superiority base on those.
"Shows for exemple that with 5 power strike, Great nords axe deals just as many damages against a 60+ armored target than a rhodok war hammer. Piercing damages are the most effective when a lot of base damage is inflicted, blunt is the more effective when small base damages are inflicted (one handed weapons), cut is always bad but compensate with higher base damage."

3. Answered
What exactly does Proficiencies increase? Attack spead? Damage? Better aiming reticle for archery?
A: All of the above.(Ppl don't seem to agree that actual base damage is increased)

4. Athletics vs Weight, how are they calculated in terms of you movement speed? (Athletics increase your movement speed, OR Athletics reduce negative effect of Weight have on movement speed)

5. Answered
"bonus against shield" and "can crush through blocks", what exactly do they mean? how are they applied? when do I need to crush blocks?
A: "Bonus against shield" = destory shield faster (how much faster? who cares)
A: "Can crush through blocks" = damage opponent even when he blocks with shield/weapon (by how much? is there like a factor?

6. Answered
Is it true that there is no AI tactic specially designed (ie. hit and run) for your own horse archer?
A: There is no command/AI for your horse archer.

7. Answered
Two Handed Polearm [Polearm (No Shield)] vs Two Handed Weapon?
A: T-H-P mostly have thrust, often longer than T-H-W, often slower than T-H-W.

8. Answered
Do companion know how to use Throwing Axe as a melee weapon?
A: Yes, but only after they have thrown all and only one remains.

9. Answered
If I give my companion 2 different weapon (for example, Siege Crossbow and Light Crossbow, or Great Lance and Throwing Axe), does the AI knows which situation to use which weapon? (like when on foot, use Siege Crossbow instead of Light Crossbow, or when in close combat, use Throwing Axe as melee weapon instead of the Great Lance)
A: Yes, but really quite random as the AI is very poor at weapon choice, it is adviced to only give one melee weapon.

10. Answered
I understand most ppl equip their companion for melee pit, I find it totally defeat the purpose of cavalry.  If the answer to question 9 is "yes", then will this work for cavalry companion weapons? (Lance - for initial charge, Two Handed Polearm - for ride-by and mid to long range melee, Throwing Spear - for ranged and close combat, and a Shield)
A: No, AI won't know the difference of situation. I have seem the sadest sight - 2 AIs rushes toward each other, both equiped with throwing spear and lance, but instead of drawing out the spear, they stand next to each other in a alarmingly close distance, starts to wave their giant lance back and force (without actually hitting the opponent, in abilities and intention) in a really sexy tribal dance fashion. I believed this would have continued till the end of time if my archer hadn't deciding dancing with the enemy isn't as interesting to watch as Dancing with the Stars.

11. Answered
What is a reasonable level you will achieve in game?
A: 20-40.

12. Answered
Khergit Arrows vs Bodkin Arrows? (other than the ammo number difference)
A: No gameplay difference.

13. Answered
Best Weapon for infantry to fight off cavalry? (My experience tells me polearm, is this game different? Isn't polearm bad for melee pits(as a lot of cavalry use shield one hander)?)
A: Longest polearm, or if u want versatile - shield and one handed and clustering infantry.  Also large damaging thrown weapon vs horse is a plus

14. I understand some Throwing weapon such as Throwing Axe is actually 2 item, one being throw-type, one being one-handed.  My question is when you use it's melee form, do you gain Proficiencies in throwing or one-handed?  How about Polearm [no shield], as it is being Polearm and Two-handed Weapon?

I want to express my gratitude for time and effort you took to answer the above question.
Your help is much appreciated.

1. Depending on personal preference. Generally, you want to hit them without being hit yourself, so most people go for 90+ on horseback, and depending on the type of weapon on foot, since if the weapon is too long it will do less damage at close ranges.
2. It's the other way around. Blunt and pierce are reduced less by armor. There's a formula around somewhere, use the search function.
3. All of the above
4. Weight has a smaller effect in Warband. Athletics and Agility increase run speed, although there isn't an exact formula.
5. The former makes the item do extra damage against shields, whereas the latter allows you (with a sufficient speed bonus
6. Group your horse archers separately in the party screen and tell them to follow you and then ride around the enemy's flank.
7. You can't swing polearms from horseback (only thrust), with the exception of the Hafted Blades.
8. If an enemy is within melee range, they will switch, although they probably won't know to save one for melee and throw them all the first chance they get.
9. As far as I know, troops will only switch between different types of items, never between the same kind.
11. 20-30 is usually high enough for an end-game situation.
12. Bodkin arrows costs and weights less, and has shorter missile length.

Looks like the end of number 5 got cut off there.

5. The former makes the item do extra damage against shields, whereas the latter allows you (with a sufficient speed bonus) to do damage to an enemy even when they block.

Regarding your 9-10

I have a low opinion of the companion ai. I've seen one of my guys get knocked unconscious because he was trying to shoot a bandit with a bow from horseback when a sword was his number 1 weapon. He missed 5-6 times and the bandit kept bashing his kneecaps. :/

Somebody said:
9. As far as I know, troops will only switch between different types of items, never between the same kind.

12. Bodkin arrows costs and weights less, and has shorter missile length.

9. I imagine they'd stick to the light crossbow, as they could use that from horseback.

12. Why does missile length matter?

dragoness said:
I just started play M&B Warband for like a week now, and I've got a few question regarding the gameplay.

1. "The Longer, The Better", in which situation would it be true? and in which situation would it be false?

2. I undestand Blunt and Pierece does extra to armor, by how much?

3. What exactly does Proficiencies increase? Attack spead? Damage? Better aiming reticle for archery?

4. Athletics vs Weight, how are they calculated in terms of you movement speed?

5. "bonus against shield" and "can crush through blocks", what exactly do they mean? how are they applied? when do I need to crush blocks?

6. Is it true that there is no AI tactic specially designed (ie. hit and run) for your own horse archer?

7. Two Handed Polearm [Polearm (No Shield)] vs Two Handed Weapon?

8. Do companion know how to use Throwing Axe as a melee weapon?

9. If I give my companion 2 different weapon (for example, Siege Crossbow and Light Crossbow, or Great Lance and Throwing Axe), does the AI knows which situation to use which weapon? (like when on foot, use Siege Crossbow instead of Light Crossbow, or when in close combat, use Throwing Axe as melee weapon instead of the Great Lance)

10. I understand most ppl equip their companion for melee pit, I find it totally defeat the purpose of cavalry.  If the answer to question 9 is "yes", then will this work for cavalry companion weapons? (Lance - for initial charge, Two Handed Polearm - for ride-by and mid to long range melee, Throwing Spear - for ranged and close combat, and a Shield)

11. What is a reasonable level you will achieve in game?

12. Khergit Arrows vs Bodkin Arrows? (other than the ammo number difference)

I want to express my gratitude for time and effort you took to answer the above question.
Your help is much appreciated.

Now this is how you correctly make a newbie question thread. Kudos to you, good sir, excellent post. Don't do it like munchiepoo and make 10 threads in a day. You are a  :cool: (cool) person.

That said, I think Somebody answered your questions quite adequately. I think I can add a few things, though.

On his answer to #5, his answer was cut off. What I think he was trying to say was that block crush allows you (if you have sufficient force behind the blow) to strike someone and still do damage even if they are blocking your attack :shock: . That's where things like momentum and weapon weight come in to play.

Here's my advice when it comes to melee weapons (as you had multiple questions about their attributes and merits). This is my personal strategy when I play a melee oriented character and I find that it works quite well. However, bear in mind that this is purely my personal feelings, it's by no means the "best" strategy. It's just food for thought.

First of all, invest in Athletics and Powerstike, the former because you'll want to wear heavy armor for survivability, and the latter for stopping power. Anyway, on to equipment.

Armor: Generally, the more protection the better. Plenty of points in Athletics should balance this out.

Shield: I like one that I can use on horse and on foot, even though I'm primarily an infantryman. I particularly like Reinforced Huscarl's Shields. Even if you plan on using mostly a 2-hander, you definitely want to carry a shield to stop you from becoming a pincusion for Sharpshooters.

Arms: Here's where things get interesting. I carry both a 2-hander and a 1-hander, for reasons I'll explain now.

2-hander - I'm a fan of the big axes for this (particularly the Heavy War Axe), because they have nice reach, destroy most shields in 3 or 4 hits, and have an insane bite. A Sword of War is not a bad choice either. Once you reach level 5 Powerstrike and decent proficiency, you'll start to one-shot most lower level troops with these axes, and even a lot of charging horses :shock: . It's also an absolute beast from horseback. This weapon will be your primary death-dealer.
1-hander - Here I like a blunt weapon, the heavy military hammer in particular. I have several reasons for having this as a backup. 1. You need to have a weapon to use if the enemy has tons of archers, and hence a shield. 2. Prisoner collection. Nuff said. 3. Situations like sieges and other clusterf*cks, a shield really helps as well. In addition, the range is 90 or so, which allows you to use it from horse if need be, but plenty short for close in fights. 4. If you are using a shield and 1-hander, you are unlikely to be killing enemies in 1 hit. So why not go with a blunt weapon that can get prisoners while you are at it?

Anyway, that's my strategy. I hope you can find pieces of it that you like and adopt it in your style, and improve it while you are at it :wink: If anyone has questions or comments about this loadout, I'll be happy to answer them.

Just one remark:

dragoness said:
Somebody said:
8. If an enemy is within melee range, they will switch, although they probably won't know to save one for melee and throw them all the first chance they get.

Based on my experiences from tournaments, I believe NPCs indeed do know to save their last one.

I just found out that since Throwing Spear have the "next item as melee" flags, meaning that AI will save the last one as melee weapon.  How about Two Handed Polearm? Do AI know how to swing them, rather than just thrust with them? (coz Great Long Axe really needs to be swung)

dragoness said:
I just found out that since Throwing Spear have the "next item as melee" flags, meaning that AI will save the last one as melee weapon.  How about Two Handed Polearm? Do AI know how to swing them, rather than just thrust with them? (coz Great Long Axe really needs to be swung)

Yup, they swing them.

Your game can go on forever,in my current game i plan to be a bandit (Still using faction troops, Nords  Hurscals and Saranaid Archers cos they are cool) and i will attack caravans, loot villages,attack lords that i see basicaly i attack everything and this way my game will go on for a long time because i am not helping any faction.

And, Lord Barret i dont make 10 threads in one day and...if I do make more than 1 thread in the same day its because i did not think of this question before. *Sigh* so many arrogant people on this forum :roll:

For the companion questions, you'll have a much easier time if you just give them a one hander, shield (could chance it with a two hander, they seem to get hit by arrows regardless of what shield you give them anyway) and a bow/crossbow.

Seriously. :razz:

munchiepoo said:
Your game can go on forever,in my current game i plan to be a bandit (Still using faction troops, Nords  Hurscals and Saranaid Archers cos they are cool) and i will attack caravans, loot villages,attack lords that i see basicaly i attack everything and this way my game will go on for a long time because i am not helping any faction.

And, Lord Barret i dont make 10 threads in one day and...if I do make more than 1 thread in the same day its because i did not think of this question before. *Sigh* so many arrogant people on this forum :roll:

I calls em as I sees em, bud. If you don't like the comments, stop the action that causes them. Simple.

Turumbar said:
It's all about the Masterwork Great Sword.
I personally prefer Balanced swords; a Balanced Heavy Bastard Sword is godly. Barring that (or supplementing that) would be a Balanced War Cleaver (the big 2H one).

(Masterwork: 17.5x price, +5 DMG, +1 Speed, +4 Requirement)
(Tempered: 6.7x price, +4 DMG)
(Balanced: 3.5x price, +3 DMG, +3 Speed)

To me, the Balanced weapon is the best value and the best performer. While it won't do as much damage as a Masterwork weapon, a Balanced weapon is the fastest. To me at least, that speed bonus is key against AI. Besides, when you kill someone who's trying to facehug, you still have to avoid their friend's (behind them) swinging weapon.

dragoness said:
1. "The Longer, The Better", in which situation would it be true? and in which situation would it be false?
Generally depends on your fighting style. Short weapons are more useful if you have a large party and fight amongst your troops, since they have a tendency to get in the way. Some sieges you can also benefit from a shorter weapon or spear so the walls and similar don't get in the way.
2. I undestand Blunt and Pierece does extra to armor, by how much?
IIRC Blunt reduces armour by 50%, Pierce by 75%.
3. What exactly does Proficiencies increase? Attack spead? Damage? Better aiming reticle for archery?
All three.
4. Athletics vs Weight, how are they calculated in terms of you movement speed?
Not sure of the exact calculation. Athletics increases your base movement though rather than reducing encumbrance.
5. "bonus against shield" and "can crush through blocks", what exactly do they mean? how are they applied? when do I need to crush blocks?
Bonus against shields means the weapon does additional damage against a shield. Can crush through blocks allows a weapon to smash through a block (with a weapon, not with a shield), for best results hold an overhead attack for two or three seconds before unleashing (i.e. when your character issues a warcry).
6. Is it true that there is no AI tactic specially designed (ie. hit and run) for your own horse archer?
Not sure what you mean. By default a horse archer will try to circle his target while shooting. Orders can alter this; if you order them not to fire they'll try and melee. Similarly if the target is mounted they won't have quite the same ability to circle them, and they tend to ignore anyone who isn't their immediate target, so if they pick the guy in the middle of the field they'll happily run into his mates in front of them.
7. Two Handed Polearm [Polearm (No Shield)] vs Two Handed Weapon?
Personal preference.
Yes, though they'll switch to a better weapon if they have one (which being a throwing axe, is likely to be anything above a knife)
9. If I give my companion 2 different weapon (for example, Siege Crossbow and Light Crossbow, or Great Lance and Throwing Axe), does the AI knows which situation to use which weapon? (like when on foot, use Siege Crossbow instead of Light Crossbow, or when in close combat, use Throwing Axe as melee weapon instead of the Great Lance)
Not really. They'll generally prefer the first weapon in their inventory. They will switch from ranged to melee if the situation dictates (target in close range), and if they have a weapon not useable from horseback they'll switch to one which is (although you might need to tell them to fire at will once they dismount to have them switch to crossbow)
11. What is a reasonable level you will achieve in game?
50 or thereabouts. You can go higher but the XP required reaches ridiculous proportions

for 9 I Found out that if there is blunt wep in 4 slot and sword,ect fill bewteen to frist and without saying the Command..

But that sums up abit of 9...  oh and didnt matter about damnge and ect, they just went for blunt wep >.<

9. & 10: Previous poster supports 1-hander, shield and bow or crossbow. This is my setup too: I find you're best off limiting their choices because they *do* make bad AI judgement errors, such as being unhorsed and trying to stab a guy with lance (who is in their face!) when they have a melee weapon in inventory. With one hander, shield and bow they generally make the right choice and it's versatility works well in the field, laying a siege and being besieged. If I want mass lance/charge damage I use knight rather than companions.

12. Khergit Arrows vs Bodkin Arrows

Good question, I also want to know this answer. There's barbed arrow too. In r/l a broadhead will cause more tissue damage but won't penetrate armour well. Barbed arrow heads cause more trauma when extracting the arrow. Armour defeating heads were thin and pointy with little or no blade to maximize penetration force into a tiny area. Khergit arrows look almost blade-less, I'm wondering if they actually penetrate better or if it's cosmetic. (I always just go for Khergit regardless).

13. Best Weapon for infantry to fight off cavalry is the longest weapon...get them before they get you. Pikes are the traditional anti-cav weapon but anything long and pointy will work, provided it hits the horse before his lance does.

True :sad:
There is no skirmish tactic. It's either charge, hold position or circle in a line.
This is why the khergits needs a good commander (Ghengis anyone?) to make them worthwile.

The AI does seem to recognize differences in weapons and uses. But these are not very well designed, or comprehended. As there seems to be a random factor in this. So the answer, as far as I've noted, is in between, somewhere.
Outfit a guy with a lance and a sword (and shield) and they will not always switch to the sword when dismounted. They will use ranged on horseback when not charging (initiates melee choice) and in firing range.
The difference between 2 xbows is speed or damage. And I can't discern what they prefer. I would pick a light xbow vs archer/throwing types, and Siege xbow vs other xbows or during sieges. But the AI doesn't seem to support this.

10. I understand most ppl equip their companion for melee pit, I find it totally defeat the purpose of cavalry.  If the answer to question 9 is "yes", then will this work for cavalry companion weapons? (Lance - for initial charge, Two Handed Polearm - for ride-by and mid to long range melee, Throwing Spear - for ranged and close combat, and a Shield
Melee pits just happen with this AI, unless you lead your companions (either with the follow command, or hold this position -at the other end of the opponent).

13. Best Weapon for infantry to fight off cavalry? (My experience tells me polearm, is this game different? Isn't polearm bad for melee pits(as a lot of cavalry use shield one hander)?)
Polearms are likely your first thought. But Ive found that the best equipped infantry are those with shields and a short weapon.

Use the stand closer command once or twice and they will form a block. The shields protect them for couched lances, and with short 1-handed weapons, you can quickly kill either the horse, or the rider. Short, because its a melee pit, and shorter weapons are more effective there.
A few guys with throwing weapons help as well, as they can headshot the horses before they charge into your formation, leaving the rider in front of an angry mob.

munchiepoo said:
False. If a faction (swadians anyone?) fights war on different fronts they will lose some holdings. And this wil results into the lords defecting/getting indicted for treason. And the whole faction gets mobbed up, when in another multi-front war. In my current game the Nords are vanquished by the vaegirs and the swadians, and the khergits are driven back (to another place) by the sarranid and the vaegirs. I'm with the rhodoks, and not even actively fighting. So a game could go on forever, with enough peacetime. But war... war never changes.

munchiepoo said:
I'm not always liking posts Lord Barret makes, but I'm taking his side in this. You were spamming the forum, and could have made edits, a single thread or used the search function (to better use). Also, calling him for arrogant (and others as well) is silly. Welcome to the internet baby, where manners and emotions are sometimes not to be found.

Thanks for all the help.
I was wondering, what are Text Editor? and Module Editor? i see them here and there.

Back
Top Bottom