Secondary Attacks: a how-to (with pictures!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Unless your daggers have built-in bucklers -ie: certain kinds of katars-  yup, it sure does. 

So.  With what Armagan said with .951's release, I guess this one isn't going to happen?  :???:

right, so if from the same attack position you can instantly decide on 2 different attack vectors, blocking is then effectively removed from the game as a reliable system.

Lightzy said:
right, so if from the same attack position you can instantly decide on 2 different attack vectors, blocking is then effectively removed from the game as a reliable system.
Which encourages (rightly so) the use of shields.  It would certainly add to the uncertainty.  I'm not sure about you, by my AI doesn't hold its attack position forever and let me get prepared for it.  I don't see how this is any different from the feinting it does, for instance. 

Merentha said:
Lightzy said:
Which encourages (rightly so) the use of shields.  It would certainly add to the uncertainty.  I'm not sure about you, by my AI doesn't hold its attack position forever and let me get prepared for it.  I don't see how this is any different from the feinting it does, for instance. 

yeah but if you can no longer block  with your weapon (as obviously as soon as you go to a block the AI would instantly use the other attack unless you specifically program it to be stupid) there's no point in having the option to parry anymore. unless attack animations are much slowed.

my AI does hold the attack position actually.. sometimes it feints, meaning i have to click the parry button again quickly. if its really 'good' AI, i sometimes have to stand there and click parry 5-6 times until the bugger finally attacks.

its far from perfect anyway..

I think if attack animations are slowed enough to allow the player to react properly, the game would be a lot more realistic and visceral..
then you could use mouse-movement based collision-detection style parrying, etc.
Well you could theoretically!
but nobody wants the game slowed :smile: certainly not me

Lightzy said:
yeah but if you can no longer block  with your weapon (as obviously as soon as you go to a block the AI would instantly use the other attack unless you specifically program it to be stupid) there's no point in having the option to parry anymore. unless attack animations are much slowed.
:???:  I don't block until after they start swinging so as to avoid being feinted.  I don't see why you're blocking so early. 

sometimes i block early, sometimes i block late. its not like i'll ever lose a 1v1 fight.
  address the relevant points rather than nitpick on personal gameplay style.

Best idea ever(well, out of the ones I haven't come up with). My little brother and I always have stick fights outside when there's nothing better to do, and just because the stick is shaped like a sword doesn't mean all our attacks are slashing and stabbing. Sometimes we'll hit the other persons weapon, slide up on our grip, and hit them in the legs with the handle(which could be a staff or spear move, or with long axes).

I think these would be awesome!

You could still block just fine.. As has been noted, you would do better to block after the opponent begins his attack. The AI would have to be tweaked so that they block later also. This would just add to the involvement in combat and make it all seem more realistic and dynamic.

Personally though, I would like to see 3 forms of alternate attacks..

1: what the OP has described in this topic.

2: a simple straight kick.

I think it would be great if we had the ability to do a simple straight kick that did very little damage but caused some knock-back to enemies. The amount of knock-back would be effected by strength and the speed that the kick could be performed effected largely by weight. The move can be performed when a weapon attack is in the readied mode but the kick would not interrupt an opponents readied attack nor would it interrupt a an opponents blocking with weapon or shield. With a high enough str/power attack this move may be able to knock a person down sometimes. It could work so that the attack can not do more than 3 damage.. Str/power attack pushing the damage over 3 would not do more damage but just cause greater knock-back, If the damage over 3 that gets converter to knock-back is over 20 then there is a 20% chance of knockdown. The chance of knockdown will never go over 20%.

3: ability to throw current weapon (can be blocked).

Of course this is of limited use. Unless you have a back-up weapon you would be insane to throw your sword away. The range of a weapon would be based on weapon type and modified by weight. So a spear would be far more effective than a sword and an axe, if not too heavy would be pretty good too. Now I know many people will say how useless and unrealistic this is because no-one would throw their sword in a battle. But imagine if you rode out with 3 spears and a shield.. You could fight with your spear but if there was a prime opportunity you could throw it and quickly switch to your second spear, rinse and repeat. These thrown weapons should be retrievable, unlike throwing axes, jarrids, etc.. But no easier to pick up than fallen opponents gear.

So we would of course need 3 new buttons but I don't see that as a problem at all. Currently the number of buttons needed to control a character in combat in M&B is very few compared to many modern action/action RPGs on the market today.

i havent been keeping up with what everyone is chatting about on this topic. but nice nicly presented. ill have to send an email to armargaddon asking if he could have a quick read throght this for you

m9212 said:
i havent been keeping up with what everyone is chatting about on this topic. but nice nicly presented. ill have to send an email to armargaddon asking if he could have a quick read throght this for you

oh, you're so kind, thank you.

This would make fights much more realistic, fun... great idea, but those attacks should also be shield-/parry-/counterable

love the idea

Back
Top Bottom