[S] Scaedumar Mod - Beta version released

Users who are viewing this thread

@Pearson: No need to apologize, i am also not a native-english speaker =)

If anyone finds some mispelled words or bad grammar please report them to me, i tried my best but i think there are plenty of mistakes.

Patch version 0.2 is uploaded. It contains a new map, wound-system, new horses and some bug-fixes. Unfortunately the patches arent save-game-compatibel (no way around, i add to many new things/variables). The patch also include the latest version of the Manual (You will find it in the main-directory after patching).

Thx to all for the great support and feedbacks. Thats pushing me to work even more on that project  :razz:

Pearson de Saap said:
Hello.

Sorry for my terrible english, but im hungaryan :eek:

I don't unterstand how why decreased of the relation with my king if im help for him in the battle, when alredy have warring situation with the enemy?! :xf-mad:

I hope so clear my question, and please give me answer.

I think what Pearson de Saap is talking about is something different to the normalization process as I've run into it too. I'm a vassal of Swadia and everytime I intervene in a battle with Swadian forces taking part I get a message saying war has broken out between who ever they are facing and Swadia and I get a 10 point rep hit with the King.

Sounds like it has something to do with the new ability to pick sides in battles you have no stake in (which is very good and would be a shame to see go). Maybe a variable not being checked in the new process?

Love the mod anyway, been looking for something like this for a while. Ideas for the future maybe:

Better tournaments (huge melees and jousting?)
Maps with roads (you mentioned a new map being made, please inc roads into it, makes such a difference)
Longer wait until vassalage is offered (been here less than a week and I'm offered lands!?!)

Well, as mentioned, great work.

Thx for the report, i will try to hunt this bugs down (guess its from the RangerCompany Mod - the free choice of choosing side in battle is a experiment Tempered make with his modification - i will report it to Tempered too, hopefully it get fixed soon).

The thing with the early offering of vassalage is due to the huge gain of honor points through the looting and burying the dead (atleast i think thats the case)... i will try out to lower the amount of honor-point gain to see if that fix the things for early game.

Btw, you really think roads are good for the map? I really wasn´t sure about them, seeing as the pathfinding sometimes have trouble with roads but i can just put them in the map (once i figured out how to =P ).

For the Tournament thing: what exactly do you mean with huge melee? something like the normal arena, just with better weapons and all agents spawned at once? I will try to see what i can accomplish once my major tasks are done, atm i try to finish some things leftover in my original to-do-list (like recruitment, reinforcement and polishing the scenes).
But i guess more choices in Arena-Battles / Tournaments is always a good idea.

I forgot to mention burying the dead actually. Not too sure about it to be honest, would people really think bad of you for doing a runner to avoid enemy reenforcements hard on your heals. It takes away some of the fun from hit and run tactics against large armies. Understand you need something to balance the honour gain from burying or not looting (although again if you didn't loot in real life your levied troops would never get better equipment). Hard one that.

As for vassalage I don't think it's anything to do with you, even without any mods I always get lands offered up in no time. Thought there could be a way to change whatever controls the offers coming your way.

The point on roads was more for role play really. The vanilla map always lacked something and it really bugged me. Would be good to see what others think though, maybe it's just me.

RE the tournaments I'm a fan of GRRM's Ice and Fire books and was getting my ideas from the events that take place in them. So yes, huge brawls with everyone spawned at once, archery contests with butts and scored on accuracy, jousts where you have to wager your weapons and armour. No idea how any of it could be done though, the scripting would be hench for something like jousting I'm sure.

If you wanted a hand I'm sure I could help. I've not looked into modding M&B but I'm sure there are guides out there. If you want to keep dev to your self though I understand.

@jaketward
Sorry for the very late reply, i was completely amazed by another engine and spend my time modding there...
Just to answer some questions: The vassalage thing have mostly to do with honor gain, as far as i know, at a certain amount of honor points kingdoms will begin to offer u vassalage. It may be even faster with this mod cause of burying the dead thingy. But overall when u tend to play with very small armys at the beginning of the game this will be quite fast even in native.

Roads are a lot more difficult to implement correct then i first thought. The problem is mainly that roads arent a texture-overlay or some kind of layer on the map but real vertices/triangles in the map itself. This causes mainly all the pathfinding issues which we have to face ( you click somewhere and instead of going straight to that point the party sometimes tend to go in totally different directions first ) - this is due the fact that the pathfinding takes the triangles of the map (and the material to see what are impassable areas) to figure out the shortest way. To make roads you need to make very thin triangles and thus messing up all the things. I am still not sure how to handle that.
The only thing i figured out was that nearly all pathfinding issues on the world-map where gone due to the fact i didnt maked roads. But i agree that roads would add way more to the gaming experience.

Tournaments are a thing i didnt looked into till now. Only thing i can say is that there was a old mod which implemented many features like 1v1 jousting, different tournament scenarios etc. I guess digging it out from the dephts of this forum and look into it shouldnt be too hard, but i dont know if there where any flaws or not with it - i just remember to have played this mod ages ago.
But i agree also with you on this, tournaments are a very underdeveloped thing in M&B and needs some love and improvement too.

As for your last question about help: I think i am still quite amazed on the modding abilitys of the m&b engine, and my interest to go on with this mod is growing again =)
A helping hand would be nice, but also would complicate some things. At the moment i am free to work or not work on this how i like. But if i had a team (even a very small one) i would be afraid of dissapointing my teammates. I am still very unsure about this one.

At the moment i am thinking of working mainly with the warband engine, and i dont know how many of the already implemented things i can get port over.
The main theme and goals would still stay the same tough, but like i said earlier a huge part of the scripting was done by Temperer and i dont know if he will someday port his things or not.

So if you still are intrested in joining feel free to contact me (either here or via pm) - i have to say i am intrested in the experience to work in a team.

:oops:Bumping my own Thread... But several news are on the frontpage now. The old Mount&Blade Version is not longer supported, instead i ported most of the stuff to Warband and getting closer to a first release now.

I didnt wanted to make a new Thread for it, cause its still the same basic-mod and the same goals.
So for all who are intrested in news (or never ever heard of it and think its worth to take a look at =P ) .... go to the first page and enjoy the new screens and infos.

Thx for your interest and hopefully good critics, comments etc...

It's cool! Waiting for release... Faster, plz, faster :razz:.
Good critics:
Can you make fog of war optional? Maybe it's more realistic, but it's more boring, as for me.
Can you paste in mod these Caba'drin scripts -
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,134031.0.html
with this (by SonKidd)
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,143195.0.html
and maybe this (if it works fine, don't know - first one works fine)
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,137970.0.html
Can you don't paste Thick's colorfull helmets or something like this, if you do it, of course...
Can you release it with source :razz:.
If it requried much time, don't do anything of it :razz:.

Polished Landscape with LODs. Well done.
Great work, again.

@SendMeSmile: Making the Fog of War optional shouldnt be too hard, its still just a minor addition and really does only affect the early game-play. I will try out the 2 scripts from Caba´drin and see how they fit in, but for the other suggestion with making troops always wear all items all the time i just simple say no =) this doesnt fit in my plans and my goal for that mod... if there is intrest in it i can surely release the source-code too, so if anyone like to further tweak, feel free to do so.

And dont worry, i wont use any too colorful weapon packs or something like that, i aim more for a realistic look and feel (not fantasy but also not quite historical accurate).

Abhuva said:
but for the other suggestion with making troops always wear all items all the time i just simple say no =)
Not for all troops, of course. Just for pikemen, for example. So, with Caba'rdin script they can switch from pikes to swords, as player wish. And with this script will not be situation, then some pikemen have no pike or have only pike. Anyway, it's only proposal, i really like your mod already :razz:.

:grin: I followed your suggestion and let the player decide at the start of a new game wether he want to play with Fog of War or without. I have to say i actually like this =) Also added the Skirmish and Weapon Choice Scripts ... working both fine.
So i am getting closer to a first beta release... Finished today the LODs of Polished Landscapes (mostly all models have now LOD1-4 beside the grass and some bushes with lower than 100 vertices)... Its a good performance boost and you have to look really carefull to see the LODs pop between the stages... During normal gameplay i nearly never realize it...
I am quite proud of this, was the first time i did that many LODs.
Tried my luck on LODs for Polished Buildings too, but this is way more tricky and i guess i will do that later.

Now i will focus on finishing the main-scripts (some polishing for the wound-recovery is still needed)...
So far, so good... Thx for the nice suggestion with the Fog of War...

Thx, i am slowly making my way =) was quite a bit busy with other projects (did some Unreal Modding, learned more about scene-prop making, etc...)

Today i reworked the normal-maps for Polished Buildings, they have now nice normals and use the new warband shaders... too bad there is no real moving lights in the scenes (atleast i found no way till now to do them properly) so the effect is just a minor improvement, but i think they look better now in the sunlight =)

Finished the Normal Maps for Polished Buildings and after seeing how good they look with moving lights in editor-mode i searched the forum for a solution for wielding fire-torches...
And here it is, player can now wield a fire-torch (emitting fire-particles and act as move-able light-source).

In the picture below you can see the normal-maps (best visible on the left wall of the tavern), and the light effect of the torch lighting up the player and surroundings.
scaedumarscreen6.jpg

The only downside i investigated is that the current engine (warband 1.132) only supports up to 10 light-sources per scene, any more of that won´t be rendered.

That arent all light - sources... Mostly just scene-props (the fire_torches_night ones, that only emit fire during night).
The light-sources i mean are added point-lights. I just noticed that after adding more than 10 the light won´t render anymore. Either its a limitation on my current system (using an rather old laptop to do my stuff) but more likely a limit on the game-engine.

I guess that leads to a more carefull planning on where i add lights in a scene, but it adds a lot to atmosphere and leads the players eye to important locations.

Looks awesome. By the way. Isn't it possible to make lightsources spawn and disappear in some way because it would be a pity to only have lightsources in a small part of the city.

Back
Top Bottom