Roma Surrectum II - R:TW Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Heres a few pics of a battle I fought as Sparta.

rometw2010091119561636.jpg
rometw2010091119581365.jpg
rometw2010091120062926.jpg
rometw2010091120130421.jpg
rometw2010091120151957.jpg
rometw2010091120163075.jpg
rometw2010091120262055.jpg
rometw2010091120262919.jpg
rometw2010091120271158.jpg

Is this one of those mods where archers do RIDICULOUS amounts of damage?

I remember in Troy: Total War I just got a couple spearmen and 15 archer units, the enemy rarely touched the spearmen.....

Evilknightz said:
Well, for example, I think I managed to kill a unit of cavarly with 4 units of archers, and they used about 1/3 of their ammo. They were heavy cavarly though. So its quite realistic, you can decimate light enemy units with archers, but Romans for example are harder to kill with archers.

Evilknightz said:

The contrary. You are able to inflict serious damage to light troops such as javelinmen, another archers or unarmored units. But it's almost impossible to make some damage to heavy infantry/cavalry, like Roman cohorts and Greek hoplites due to their big shield or cataphracts. But slingers (I would recommend Balearic, they're armour-piercing killers and also outstanding in melee with their falcatae) can make good damage even to armoured warriors. Skirmishers can do some casualties, but they don't have much javelins and thus can't help you much (but do outstanding melee infantry).

Has anyone else ever actually found a legitimate use for foot skirmishers, like javelinmen? I always thought they were completely useless.

I love those skirmishers that are neither heavy infantry, nor carry all that many javelins to complete the role of skirmishers. Set the on guard mode, stretch them out, and set them on loose formation for epic holding and exhausting results!

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Has anyone else ever actually found a legitimate use for foot skirmishers, like javelinmen? I always thought they were completely useless.
I use them with my hoplites sometimes. Place them behind your men, and start raining death upon your enemies locked in combat with the hoplites.

They are devastating to Light infantry and can give a unit the upperhand when fighting heavy infantry. But they are just support infantry and not really meant to fight on their own.

I generally used them on my flanks to deter/slow/harass enemy cavalry or any other flanking attempt and then swing them around the enemies rear to help break their lines as well as allow my cavalry to get into position to run down the artillery/archers/fleeing troops.

Pierce Elliot said:
They are devastating to Light infantry and can give a unit the upperhand when fighting heavy infantry. But they are just support infantry and not really meant to fight on their own.

Umm, generally anything and everything is devastating to light infantry.  :lol:

Anyways, I think they just take up too much space in your army stacks to justify not just adding a few more infantry or cavalry units.

I almost never use them, since they're not as cost-effective as other units are in any of my strategies (although I tend to use historical strategies, replacing the skirmishers with regular roman cohorts, who have the javelin ability :wink: )

The one thing I have realized though, is when you are stuck in a terrain where you might not be able to form a large line, Javelinmen are actually very useful to have behind your heavy infantry. They are useless against stationary infantry but seem to inflict amazing casualties on charging and engaged infantry. Of course, you could also just replace them for another troop, but remember I like having specific units for specific roles.

Something I hate in R:TW is the friendly fire, which often accounts for over half of the dead men I leave behind...

Peralta said:
Something I hate in R:TW is the friendly fire, which often accounts for over half of the dead men I leave behind...

Use them cleverly and your men will be okay. I don't have any problems too.

Send them headlong into spearmen?

I usually keep them stick them somewhere where they can't do any harm, just to see how their traits go. Especially fun when they get posted to a fort that is, literally, in the middle of a desert.

Back
Top Bottom