Request and Suggest

Users who are viewing this thread

first of all i really love this mod it has the best scenes ever but i would like to tell u guys a problem that i have :grin::

I've been playing CS for a while now and some stuff caught my eye that needed fixing, i don't know if anyone told u guys cause i've been reading all the topics but haven't finished yet reached a topic at page 56 that has 76 pages and i'm reading this topic now,anyway.

I started a new game created my character and everything entered the world and started playing,looked at the new settlements,loved all of them(used the king cheat to look at the castle town of each settlement) started bribing some companions and hired some mercenary's, i claimed my first settlement.

After 4 month of playing in game i got a village and fortified it went to custow to get some peasants and saw a hero with more then 300 troops patrolling around custow,i ignored him and continued but after a while when i was getting back to my settlement i saw a group of mercenary's that had more then 400 troops in it, i followed it to see what he was doing and after 10 min of following i noticed that no one attack that group and they don't attack anyone(the same with hero's,but hero's attack bandits but the bandits don't have enough troops to take out their enemy's).

Wouldn't it be better to increase the bandits troops or make a better faction that keeps sending out groups of 50-100 troops to attack anyone they see(even mercenary's) this faction can't be taken over or anything,the troops can spawn from the end of the map and patrol all of the land(cause i haven't noticed any bandits far from custow,all of them patrol around custow).

This is my biggest problem in the game (not enough competition) i know is a mod full of settlements and the goal is to improve it but it gets boring after a while,and i know that other factions rise after a while but i've been playing a lot and still nth.

Berpol said:
That way even if attackers and defenders meet outside of the walls the defender gets an advantage.

Adding to the idea of defender advantage, might it also be possible to modify the numerical distribution via a modification of the "Tactics Skill" based on military upgrades?

If the defending town has no military upgrades then +1 to Defender garrisons' highest tactics skill (symbolic of defender's "home turf" advantage in a non-specific way). If the development is at a manor then +2, for a castle +3 (random numbers of course, it doesn't have to be a linear relationship if you wish to stress the advantage even more).

Defenders this way, simply start out with more troops each round (symbolic of local numerical superiority despite absolute numbers, or something like that).

Berpol and Liquid, I believe I had a suggestion for that a while ago, but the answer the pro modders gave me was that I would have to create a second troop for every troop, and in the battlescene you would for instance replace your vaegir marksmen with Vaegir Marksmenpd1 which would have an extra level of powerdraw (Or whatever the heck you wanted to give them)

So if they are right and thats the only way to do it, it would be simple but work-mule intensive to create.

You missed a goody I believe - http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1537 - I read somewhere, that the team's trying to implement placable settlements and just saw the link, lingering around the Pioneer's, so I assume it has been noticed before, if not, I guess it could at least give them a starting point.

Edit: Sorry if it's been mentioned before...Feeling too lazy today to go through the whole 40 pages.

Folthrik said:

I've always felt unsafe camping out on the world map in Custom Settlements during the earlier stages of the game (When you have literally no protection or funds to recruit a decent military force).  Even when I later got myself a bunch of loyal troops to accompany me around on my travels, I always still have the faint haunting fear of being approached in the middle of the night and being ambushed.  Would love to see some concepts from the links above be incorporated in some fashion.  Keeping in mind it shouldn't take away from the fun of managing your own settlement.  It would be a nice immersion factor to be able to lightly fortify your position temporarily whenever you camp for the night though.  Nothing too hardcore or specific -- just some light benefits/defensive mechanisms to give you an advantage for taking the time to actually setup camp for the night and allow you and your fellow companions to rest; instead of rampaging about night after night like immortal undead champions. ; )

The 'Rangers Company' seems to be a very neatly packed addition as well.  I imagine it could add a lot of political faction-faction interaction once things are ready for development in that area.  Handy link to keep in mind.

Now moving on to a separate suggestion I'd like to make...

Re-implement the 'Battles nearby take place in settlement with help of settlement troops' feature

This excerpt below was taken from the 'Custom Settlements Original Thread'.  In the earlier versions of Custom Settlements, the ability to have battles near your settlement actually take place inside the settlement (with the help of garrisoned troops) really did happen.  For me personally this was one of the huge benefits and 'fun factors' that made me want to always stick around my settlement area because I could interact with it by luring enemy parties nearby and then unleashing the might of my settlement's noble garrison upon the unsuspecting foes.  The resulting auto-imprisonment that happened from knocking unconscious troops inside my settlement scene was another welcoming bonus.  See the following below.

[quote author=wickedshot url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,53036.msg1367856.html#msg1367856]
Settlement Main Features:

Growing world.
Patrols, Caravans, and Peasant Parties
Turn 1 hero into your steward
Settlement AI for lords
Multiple Settlements
Turn Heroes into Lords/Ladies
Customizable and upgradeable
Troops can be garrisoned
Can wait in town
Battles nearby take place in the settlement with the help of the settlement troops
Different scenes for each combination of economy and military upgrades (9 different outdoor scenes)
Indoor scenes for tavern (requires economy level 2), manor (military 1), castle (military 2), prison (economy 1, military 2)
Chests you can store items in (1 to start, another one in manor and one more in castle)
Troops in scenes are actual units in the garrison and are active: prisoners run about gathering resources, peasants visit others and spend time at home, troops attack enemies and then return to their post
Occasional random encounters: travellers can visit, looters can wander near and become a nuisance
Time spent in settlement outdoor scenes improves your parties morale (they enjoy the downtime) and your reputation with the settlement
Time spent in settlement indoor scenes has benefits as well depending on building
Patrolling the scene can lower corruption.
Ability to set up mock battles using wooden weapons (got the idea from Lancien) under "Organize Population" menu (adds XP and upgrades to garrisoned troops based on training skill)
Can spend time training workers (upgrades peasants into crafters, increasing productivity)
Can spend time training recruits (upgrades peasants into recruits)
Personal food stores aren't used up when near settlement
Talk to Peasant Elder to get some information about your Lords.
Talk to your lords/ladies to give them orders.

Supplementary Features:
Talk to village elders to convince some of the peasants there

[/quote]

At the given moment, I've played the current .675 version of Custom Settlements all the way to the stage where I've grown my settlement to a Castle Town (The last and largest upgrade for a settlement), and and every other settlement on the world map at this stage is either a village or a manor village.  In my entire playing so far, I have not ever once had a battle on the world map take place in my settlement.  I've tried many times to lure enemy parties close, and then to begin combat, but it always takes place outside the settlement -- even if I'm right on top of the town on the world map.  Was this feature removed in the recent versions of the mod?  If it was removed by mistake, I think it would be a great feature to bring back.  It really added incentives to 'stick near your settlement to do fun stuff'.

I'll try a re-download and re-install to see if maybe I just got my mod package corrupted or something.

~ Lord Naismith

Re-implement the 'Battles nearby take place in settlement with help of settlement troops' feature

That was intentionally removed due to problems with the way battles took place I believe. I remember that whenever you did that the battle would be about 20 troops per side (enemy, settlement and you) giving you an advantage and there were no reinforcement waves, making it easily exploitable to defeat huge armies.

As far as I know Wicked was planning on putting settlement battles back in at some point but don't quote me on it.

Well. adding on to the idea of entrenchement how about the amount of defense is guaged onhow long you are camping there, for instance mabby if you waited a week you would be given the option to make a camp and start a city at that point or say you wait on a hill for a few days an enemy attacks and you fight behind wooden barricades (don't think they had trenches then) it would be an excellent way to do custom settlements ie the begginging of game theres just 3 primary parties you th bandit party and a settler party the settler party already has a city and the bandit party waits somehwere for a bit then up rises a city.

@ Wu-Long
I'm not sure what the difference is myself.  I've never used either mod yet, but I was asking the same questions myself about whether both are maybe the same thing.  Both mods seem to have been posted within 4 days of each other. 

@ muwahahaha
Ah, I see.  That is unfortunate.  I should have remembered that glitch myself.  I do remember now that it was quite an unbalanced trick.  Nevertheless, ever since I posted about it yesterday, I've been feeling a great sense of loss at not being able to lure enemy parties close to my settlement and have the battle take place in my settlement.  I actually really miss this feature a lot.  It really gave me some good reasons to focus on being around my settlement on the world map.

@ Gillan
I like the idea of adding in that next level of defense after waiting about one week.  Wooden palisades, or anything of 'temporary' defense at all would really add a new level of dynamic immersion to camping.  However, I personally wouldn't want this idea to turn into another way to start a settlement.  Fortifying your camp should be the only temporary benefit you get -- all the settlement-related parts of this mod should stay with the way things are now.  It would simply be neat to be able to somehow (and fairly) implement a way that you can camp and have defenses setup so if your surprised by an enemy attack, you will at least get some kind of benefit for camping.  (Mind you, this could be exploitable.  Not sure how to fix that)

Add more hostile factions

This suggestion is mainly derived from the fact that early in the game there is very little 'source' of hostile factions to encounter.  I know you can do some of the following in order to get some hostile conflicts happening:

- Attack mercenaries early and get a bad reputation with their faction (Benefits are you now have a faction to fight against early in the game for loot, money, prisoners, etc)

- Attack peasants early and get bad reputation with their faction (Same benefits as mercenaries, but downside is that almost all the peasant heroes and parties will be hostile to you; It will be hard to find new people to join your settlement as well as the map now pretty much being entirely hostile)

- Attack Custow and whichever faction rises up there (Benefits are similar to the above, but the major downside is your now closing the door to the facilities Custow offers early in the game; Ramun the Slave Trader, Weaponsmith, Armoursmith, Horse Merchant, etc)

- Attack the bandits faction early

Note that the first three all involved degrading your relationship with some kind of major 'superpower' early in the game, and therefore creating a much more difficult environment to play Custom Settlements.  (At the moment, the mercenaries faction doesn't even interact with any of the other factions -- they don't join in on any fights, nor do they attack anyone and nobody attacks them either.  My current game has a stack of 1000 mercenaries running about near Custow.  It seems since mercenaries as a faction aren't set to be hostile with anyone, they can grow if the player doesn't make enemies of them.)  For the last option, attacking the bandit faction as a source of early battles, loot, and money -- this seems to work at first.  However, as time moved on, I kept encountering this one problem -- all the bandit party stacks always spawned in really small numbers, and if you wanted bigger bandit stacks, then you had to wait a longer time for them go spawn.  It really is difficult to attain money or loot this way, and it's equally as hard to level up at all when the battles are so scarce.  Also, one possible exploit I've found is that I can ironically end up recruiting bandit factions heroes if I keep fighting them long enough.  I'll explain below:

Scenario:
- I take a settlement between Custow and Charfield; Griffinhill for it's proximity to the bandits and Custow (Where I can sell the bandits for extra money to Ramun the Slave Trader)

- I head into the open plains around Charfield on a regular basis to 'seek combat' with bandit parties in which I club them on the head and then proceed to drag them to Custow to instigate them into the ring of slavery (serves them right!)

- Over time, in addition to encountering the small bandit parties, I also encounter the initially more powerful stacks of bandit heroes around Charfield.  (Zeena for example).  At first, fighting them is a good challenge and source of loot, money, and prisoners (Assuming I don't get beaten in battle)

- However, as I fight (and repetitively beat) the bandit heroes, I end up gaining positive relation with them (Mainly because I'm a die-hard honor fanatic and I always let them free to go after each battle -- I hate doing the 'bad' things in M&B ^^)

- Because of some kind of separate bug that makes the heroes always chase me a few times after beating them, I end up racking up relation pretty fast.  Soon enough I get the option to 'I want you to join me'. 

- I take the option and soon the former bandit hero is now in my party (since I just can't refuse the opportunity to add more people to my eventual goal to rule Calradia -- more the better right? ^^)

- The major problem with this is that without the bandit heroes actively recruiting the bigger bandit party stacks around Charfield, there is now no more major threats around Charfield. 

- What happens now is that the faction at Custow now begins sending regular raids into the Charfield area which kills off all the smaller bandit stacks --> which leads to almost no source of hostile factions to fight against

- Also, the peasant faction begins to frequently crush all bandit parties as well.  I always see messages saying 'Hero of Bandits has been taken prisoner by Peasants'.  This further reduces the chances of the Bandits faction ever really becoming a major threat.

- What ends up happening is that by the late beginning of the game, there is now almost no source of hostile conflict for players to engage in.  Unless your willing to take the risks of attacking the Custow faction, the Peasants faction, or the Mercenaries faction

My request & suggest for this then, is to add more hostile factions from the start of the game.  The bandits faction is already a good step forward, but it lacks the power to actually pose a constant threat or source of conflict for the player.  You have to purposefully wait and let the bandit stacks grow before attacking them, and during that waiting time there is very little else to do except camp outside Custow trying to catch those traveling peasants as they spawn.  (This is actually sort of like a mini-game -- waiting inside Custow or your camp and watching for traveling peasants to spawn and then immediately clicking on the map to try and catch them before they disappear from your view).

What seemed to work well in native (original) Mount&Blade is that stacks of different 'hostile' bandits spawned all over the map at frequent intervals.  They had the following characteristics:

- Spawned in reasonably large stacks according to your level (Provides a good challenge as well as dynamic combat)
- Spawned fairly quickly on their own (Didn't rely on settlement in order to spawn -- they spawned on their own)
- Spawned in several different troop trees (Forest Bandits, Mountain Bandits, Looters, Sea raiders, etc = Diversity)
- All these bandits were hostile to other factions (Swadia, Nords, etc.  This means you aren't the only one they will attack)

This is just a simple observation and suggestion from me.  It would be nice to just somehow have some more stable beginning sources of conflict to start off the game -- because having to go make enemies out of the Peasant faction, mercenary faction, or Custow faction just harms you a lot in the long-run.  Having some sort of stable yet dynamic 'hostile' faction that actually grows adequately to be a threat to everyone on the map constantly would be a nice 'side-source' of combat and loot.  That's how the bandits were done in the vanilla (original) Mount & Blade.  Perhaps certain parts of that could be re-applied here.  It certainly would speed up the beginning process as well as adding more fun to the process of growing your settlement in the early stages.

(Note:  Yes I know that I can use the 'Cheat' options to send waves of additional bandits, upgrade towns faster, etc, but I would like to see a solution implemented without the need for cheats once the more advanced versions of Custom Settlements are released)

Most importantly though, I completely understand that this may/may not already be on the list of future things to do, and that right now isn't the right version for this to be worked on.  Just wanted to put out there as a friendly piece of feedback from a Custom Settlements fan.  ^^

I'll continue to post feedback, bugs and suggestions, but I fully know they won't all be solved or implemented right away.  Indeed, some suggestions might not be part of the final vision that Custom Settlements is looking for.  I completely understand, I'm just adding my own thoughts and opinions -- for whatever that is worth to anyone.

There are a lot of other suggestions made by a lot of people in this entire sub-forum section that I would also love to see considered for the final stages of Custom Settlements.  Particularly lots of 'mini' mods that people have talked about that could be great additions to Custom Settlements. 

After a bit of playing around in the scene editor, i made my own version of an easy to make tranch with no new models or any scripting nothing but the original scene props.  If you were to make a ditch i did mine around 5 on the elevation editor, then take the wooden barricade tilt it to one side put it on one side but move down the y axis enough so junt the top shows if done correctly it makes a small trench on the map with a wall on the side facing the enemy the wall is not high enough to stop enemies from passing but gives excellent cover from arrows, and good returning fire, it was alot of fun having a town surronded by these, it'd be a simple inclusion i feel to make it scripted that after a few days of camping you get wooden defenses. the defenses are quit simple a proceedure to create but perhaps you'll make your own model i saw on the age of imperialism mod a new kind of trench was a very buetifull one if you ask me.

Guys, after some time, all factions from the original M&B will be back to the map, you'll have plenty of fighting :razz:

What I'd like to see is different product prices in the different settlements. And the ability to control your lords more, like sending them all off to a siege or something. Like the tactical map in other mod, I don't remember the name.

Most likely suggested before, but I'd love it if I could sell named "heroes" and "villains" to slave traders. Although, I can understand if thats impossible, since you couldn't sell lords to ransom brokers in vanilla. <.< But yeah, I'd also like more oppertunities to make money then slave trading, and raiding. Although both are kinda fun. XD Maybe things like escorting caravans, and trading consumable resources would be good.

One other thing that could be fun to try, is trying a combination of Sword of Damocles and this mod. With the religion, and laws. Though that'd take A LONG time. And I'm not even sure if it's a smart thing to ask..so if it's not, don't hit me!

That's all I got for now.

some criticism here. i didnt think how these can be solved yet.

- Progress is BEYOND slow. it becomes very very boring. and thats despite me being a non combat oriented person. there is nothing to do at early stages but try to scrape up money from low level bandits by selling their 4-30 gold worth items. or engaging in slave trading.  perchance, god forbid, if you claimed a settlement too far from charfield, even that becomes a chore, you need to make long journeys to patrol near charfield. i have been playing for ~4 hours for over 5 days, and i still have to wait for 25 in game days for my final (e2m1 to e2m2) upgrade. all these days of gameplay passed with slave trading and fighting low level bandits (charfield has been a town loong before, and they still have 1-2 horseman in addition to their numerous half naked or fur equipped foot soldiers) with overpowered (compared to bandits) champions.  i had to ctrl+space in order not to screw up my weekend by repeating the same thing for another 2 full days. after that much waiting, the excitement of being a lord/king died already and the magic is lost.

- Had claimed the settlement of greenlandsby. all that effort for upgrading, and all i got for all 3 upgrades up to e2m1 has been 4 buildings covered with a stone wall. the 4 buildings concept remained right from village to town. for settlements that upgrade that unrealistically, and still keep a small camp size when they are in town level, that kills the atmosphere and realism. i just dont feel like im playing a feudal lord or have a fief at all. all i have is just 4 buildings over 20 real world hours of gameplay.

- shields are lacking. all 5 days i played neither custow, nor my weaponsmith has any shields other than nordic shield and some heater shields. i have a banner, but i dont have any heraldic shield to use it with. im going around with a nordic shield like a backwater mercenary for 5 days.

- progress is beyond slow. i cant emphasize this more.

- when i end up upgrading my settlement to e2m2, all the game goes to waste in regard to settlement development. because i cant own any more settlements to develop, or cant develop my lords' settlements, all the settlement development game for the player ends after s/he reaches e2m2. kinda defies the point of having a whole mod based on settlement development. (update, i got to e2m2, and again i had a total of 4-5 buildings with a stone wall and a small castle, a very very small town. even if custow is only as big as to be a small lord's castle (no town), this is way smaller, can only be considered a well to do keep or something.

- the whole startup seems a bit atmosphere breaking. ie, entire lands starting from camp level. one makes believe by assuming that these lands were newly discovered and settled, but still it doesnt make do.

still some recommendations tho :

- game should progress faster. it shouldnt take 20 hours of gameplay to get 25 in game days close to having e2m2.
- there should be possibility for trading. selling resources with caravans. the trade shouldnt be comprised of converting resources to other resources at half rates
- suggestions like escorting caravans, or creating caravans and running it yourself are good. they can bring in added gameplay.
- there should be more established lords and kingdoms at startup.
- settlements which are EmptXXX should be removed from map. the people who want to edit new settlements should add these by copying them over into some folder or something. i dont know how that can be done. but, having EmptXXX settlements in the map, and there being no scenery for them kills the gameplay atmosphere.
- player and lords should be able to own and develop more than 1 settlement
- player should be able to be a vassal to other kingdoms
- some new shields, and armor needed. custow armorsmith has great gaps in its armor levels. from leather hauberks or whatnot it goes straight to plate armor. there arent enough chainmail stuff.
- heraldic shields a must. i havent found any in the merchant up till this point. (update - tattered shields etc display heraldy properly when equipped. still there are no better shields)
- mercenaries either should be removed or get a mission to fulfill. now there are numerous 50-100 strong mercenary bands roaming the lands around everywhere without doing nothing, fighting noone.
- sieges. they are a must.
- we should either be allowed to put points to our heroes' leadership, trade like skills, or should be able to level them up when we make them lords. despite these skills affect their lording performance, there is no way to increase them when they are heroes, and after they are lords.

last update -  im quitting playing the mod after making to king and claiming one settlement for my lord. almost entire map but a few places belong to peasants, and there are maybe 4-7 villages appear around the map. gameplay from this point on will pass with either waiting for a loooooooooooooong time for the factions to pop up after settlements developing, or fighting peasants and claiming their settlements. in either case it will be quite boring.

If you don't like the game, don't play it.

Anyway, I still stand on being able to sell named people. I hate running into them, having them float around my prison party until I either throw them into my prison, or they escape. That is truly the annoyance for me.

My other suggestion, is move the manor house in Ashfurt
from being right smack in the middle of the freaking town
to behind the town, on a hill or something.

However, I am in agreement on some things stated by unity, Mercs do roam randomly all over the place. And I get tempted to blow their heads off with my crossbow, and sell their gear. And we should be able to siege places, see places develop over a course of time. I mean, I'm at e1m1, and I still thousands of camps all over the place. I can understand why they wouldn't develop immediately, because there's the case of the Empties being unfinished.

As for Heraldic shields, are you talking about shields that have your banner on them? 'Cause I run into them all the time. You sure you're playing an upgraded version? With the unofficial patch and everything? 'Cause there's a bunch of new armor and such in that.

As for Settlement advancement, it should be sped up a tiny bit. I like that it's slow though, that way it feels like I'm accomplishing something.

Also, I'd like to see Cathedrals! And Religion! >.>

Also, Unity, CS isn't completely finished either. The Empties are there for towns that are still being built by the mod creator.

Onasaki said:
If you don't like the game, don't play it.

Also, Unity, CS isn't completely finished either. The Empties are there for towns that are still being built by the mod creator.

i am not. i moved on to SoD.

the criticism i dropped is for the benefit of the mod, my contribution before i quitted it. its up to the participants of the mod to make use of them or discard them.

Thank you for the criticism, I will certainly consider it in what I work on next.

I do feel like clarifying one small point. The Empty settlements are not for being filled in by the mod's creator, although that might happen. They're for anyone. You can build a settlement if you want, and have it included in the download. You even get to create your own heroes.

And that is perhaps the essence of this mod, that it is focused around letting you customize it like none other. If you haven't created your own troop tree and seen them pull a 300, well, it satisfies an itch in a way that I haven't seen elsewhere. In my opinion, this mod isn't so much about an immersive experience as it is letting people do what they want.

Back
Top Bottom