Quick Questions/Quick Answers (Unofficial 'Ask Questions Here' Q&A Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Is it possible to run the 'Decapitate and Dismember' mod alomg with Floris?
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,192161.0.html

Does the floris mod work with the latest patch?

Also, when I download the 2.55 version from nexusmods and extract the content of the rar file, I don't see any setup or install exe. Is it just copy paste?

Maybe this should go to Silverstag subforum.

What are the main differences to Floris vs Silverstag? You said it's like a spiritual successor to Floris, but it felt like a heavily reprogrammed vanilla. Awesome features, but small content (or maybe I just didn't explore enough). 
Is Floris ever gonna see an update? Specifically the acclaimed 2.6 patch or Silverstag gonna continue where Floris left off.

But Floris is also a heavily modded Native, or heavily reprogrammed vanilla as you put it. Small content in what way? It has more stuff than Native/Floris actually. o_O It's got an expanded map and everything, not to mention all the new party and kingdom management features, which are already hundreds of hours of fun by themselves. Yeah it doesn't have Diplomacy and stuff but I think its features are superior in some ways, though you might miss some of the Diplomacy features if you're too used to them.

Floris is unlikely to see an official update. The team has already moved on. We're free to make unofficial updates and submods though.

Those are the "quick" answers.

Silverstag isn't really a sequel to Floris or anything. The guys behind Silverstag wanted to make their own major overhaul mod. The only reason it's a successor to Floris in a way (spiritual successor is how I like to put it) is because of all the features it tweaked on its own without deviating too much from Native (unlike most other major overhauls). I've been watching Floris for years since before it was this cool, and we got to see it take some of the existing modding knowledge and the team really updated them as they see fit. Our versions of Diplomacy, PBOD, etc., are not even the same as the versions you can get by default due to how much they've changed.

Silverstag is pretty much the same. Silverstag is a game based on Native lore (same factions and main characters and stuff), with its own story in addition. It added A LOT of new features that are based on existing knowledge (some seem to have come directly from experience with Floris/Diplomacy and others), but most of the new features are brand new takes on the same existing knowledge.

As Windyplains has told me before, it's best to treat them as separate games, though I can't help but feel the same as I did back in the day with Floris whenever I try Silverstag out.

Bottom line is that Floris isn't being actively developed anymore except by some submodders. Silverstag is quite active and a lot of the guys that used to be active on this forum have moved on there too.

Thanks.

What about constables.
When I pick "Please train recruits in xxx".

Who do they train exactly?
My town has garrisoned dozens of different units (different factions, different tiers).

Also how many do they train? It all seems to be random.

Shinno said:
Thanks.

What about constables.
When I pick "Please train recruits in xxx".

Who do they train exactly?
My town has garrisoned dozens of different units (different factions, different tiers).

Also how many do they train? It all seems to be random.
IIRC it trains the lowest tier available.

Yup and they only train up to a certain level. In Floris it'll only be up to tier 3. It's best used in conjunction with the Recruiter, who brings fresh recruits in. Fresh recruits are mostly useless in combat obviously, but at tier 3 they're good for something already, especially if you have armies designed on roles. For example, you prefer playing with mostly archers. You can have them train ranged, and you'll end up with more archers. A3 troops aren't bad in large numbers, and obviously many of them will level up to A4 and so on.

So it kinda helps you build up your army and maintain a higher average level for all your kingdom troops.

On the sovereign relations screen under the lords number what does the p and u mean. Prisoner and unknown?

When buying land there's 1000 and 2000 plots when you buy all the 1000 plots is there any reason not to buy the 2000 plots? Is there a limiting factor on how much land you can own in. Single town?

Also I have battle size set to 150 I have a 50 man party when I try to fight a 356 man bandit army it only allows me 13 troops...

Is there a way to change troop names from their pseudo-historical names to plain english? I simply can't play this mod out of utter irritation with the troop trees.

dwa said:
Also I have battle size set to 150 I have a 50 man party when I try to fight a 356 man bandit army it only allows me 13 troops...
This is due to a difference in Battle Advantage. Floris didn't change this and it's how it works in Native too. You can increase your Tactics skill to help with this a little.

skyfaller said:
Is there a way to change troop names from their pseudo-historical names to plain english? I simply can't play this mod out of utter irritation with the troop trees.
It's possible but:

- you're going to have to do it manually because I think the old English troop names file isn't compatible with the new version anymore (I remember people reporting that).
- you're probably going to find it a bit more tiresome/confusing because of how Floris adds many similar troops and the tiered equipment system. You will end up with 2 kinds of Rhodok Crossbowmen in the same tiers, for example. You're going to have to come up with words to differentiate them, possibly even translate the existing names.

My recommendation due to the tedium involved in doing all of this is to just get used to it. You will get used to it anyway, within only a few hours in fact (unless you're too preoccupied by your annoyance to actually try to learn the troop names). For example, I know my Sarranid and Khergit troops inside and out. You can tell me any of the troop names and I know what tier it is and what it's good for. I have a fair understanding of the Rhodok, Vaegir and Swadian troop names too due to fighting them very often since I usually play Khergit or Sarranid.

Also, make sure you're taking note of the little troop type+tier tags, which really helps a lot. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's those letter+number combinations before every unit's name. An A3 Recluta Balestriere is a low tier crossbowman, while the A6 Balestriere Pesante is the stronger unit down the line.

I didn't like the names at first either because many are misspelled (it's mangudai, not mandugai), some don't even make actual sense for troop names (a lot are actually titles of nobility instead of soldier ranks; besides, no army IRL ran with only officers and no grunts). But before long I ended up just getting used to it. I was too lazy to do it myself anyway and by the time the English patch came out by somebody who is less lazy than me, I didn't even want it anymore.

can you tell name mod to add companions

i can't play Floris mod. it clash

but i like this mod and companions  :grin:

sorry for my english

I'm sure that in the original Mount and Blade there was a kill count for all your troops, but in Floris there seems to be just one for you and your companions? Am I missing something here, because I'd like to know who are the most effective units in the army etc

classi9c said:
can you tell name mod to add companions

i can't play Floris mod. it clash

but i like this mod and companions  :grin:

sorry for my english
Not sure what you mean? Are you trying to combine Floris with a companions mod?

electrophone said:
I'm sure that in the original Mount and Blade there was a kill count for all your troops, but in Floris there seems to be just one for you and your companions? Am I missing something here, because I'd like to know who are the most effective units in the army etc
After battle reports? I don't remember what the original Mount & Blade was like but in Floris you get after battle reports just like in Warband Native. If your other troops aren't showing up there then they didn't get any kills. D:

I just got mount blade on steam after a long because I have a mac. I downloaded floris and followed the instructions and put it in the modules folder. The game launches fine ad works but some of the textures are missing. These include the banners, ground(except snow and steppe) and sky. I found a website that said I needed to copy some of the textures from the dev suite into the textures folder for floris as it's meant to be an installition problem, but this did not do anything.

This might not make sense as it's my first time posting.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

electrophone said:
After battle reports? I don't remember what the original Mount & Blade was like but in Floris you get after battle reports just like in Warband Native. If your other troops aren't showing up there then they didn't get any kills. D:
[/quote]

Haha, I'm not so powerful I can decimate an army singlehandedly yet :grin:
I mean, my troop kills show up as they are happening on the battlefield, but not on the after battle report. I'd like to know how many my archers have killed, for example.

[quote author=Rudulf]
I just got mount blade on steam after a long because I have a mac. I downloaded floris and followed the instructions and put it in the modules folder. The game launches fine ad works but some of the textures are missing. These include the banners, ground(except snow and steppe) and sky. I found a website that said I needed to copy some of the textures from the dev suite into the textures folder for floris as it's meant to be an installition problem, but this did not do anything.
[/quote]
Yeah the ports to the other operating systems are having issues with big mods that use a lot of custom textures it seems. You're probably suffering the same problems our Linuxbros are having.

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do on the Floris side. You can probably force the game to load the Native textures, if the Native textures load properly for you. But it'll require a lot of editing and stuff, which is something I don't recommend new players try.

[quote author=electrophone]I mean, my troop kills show up as they are happening on the battlefield, but not on the after battle report. I'd like to know how many my archers have killed, for example.[/quote]
Oh that! Look in the game options. There's a variety of messages you can enable and disable, including kills, shot difficulty, damage, etc.

Back
Top Bottom