Progress/Development Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Especially considering he (historically) died several months after the start of the mod. Just because he believed the promises of the Byzantine emperor and went to a meeting with him to "negotiate" (moral of the story - never trust an emperor, especially when you're at war with him).
Too bad we don't have different sizes for the characters as well (like Brytenwalda does, I think), considering both Ivanko and Kaloyan (they're cousins, after all), plus the late (as in "dead by 1200") Petar and Asen (the first tsars of the SBE, older brothers of Kaloyan and, respectively, cousins of Ivanko), were quite tall - between 1,90 and 2 metres (according to their alleged skeletons, at least). That would've made them even more badass, especially Kaloyan, who later on called himself Romanslayer, the Greeks in return called him Skiloioannos/John the Dog, while even Kaloyan itself is a nickname (from the late 1180s, when he was a teenager and hostage in Constaninople for a few years, by which time he had already received a wound from a battle-axe in his neck, which occasionally would've caused him pain and great fits of anger), meaning the Good or Handsome John (the women of Constantinople were supposedly rather fond of him). Here's a comic-book for him, btw, where he kicks some Dutch-French-Italian ass. :wink:

Anyway, in the old M&B (non-WB) version of the mod, we had Ivanko and his lands as part of the Bulgarian faction. But since we started adding other minor factions to the WB-port (Arber, Dubrovnik etc), I suggested to make him separate (in addition I found the name of his brother, Mito, as well) - he was allied with Kaloyan against the Byzantines, but, as you said, he "dreamed and already saw himself on the throne" either in Tarnovgrad or Constantinople (as Niketas Choniates writes, IIRC) and was quite ambitious and independent enough. Btw, another fact for what a "pig" he was - when he was still a favourite of the Byzantine emperor and got engaged to his underaged daughter (around 4 years old at the time), Theodora, he is said to have remarked something like "Why are you binding me to a still suckling lamb and telling me to wait, when you have at hand a grown sheep, ready for marriage and consumation?" (hinting that he prefers to marry his fiance's mother, Anna Angelina, around 22 years old at the time, widow of Isaac Komnenos who had in the meantime died in the Bulgarian dungeons).
Poor girl, that Theodora, btw - after Ivanko died in late 1200, the Byzantine emperor married her to another Bulgarian warlord, Dobromir Hris, who wasn't much better either - he was completely unloyal (switched sides between Byzantium and Bulgaria several times) and during their wedding ate and drank in excess, while she barely touched anything (in accordance to wedding customs, apparently), because of which he got pissed off and started swearing at her "in his barbaric tongue" and finally said in Greek "Pff! Don't eat and don't drink then!"
Then again, it's still better than another Bulgarian lord, Strez - when Kaloyan died in 1207 and his nephew Boril took power, Strez was one of the claimants to the trone (and he was brother of Boril). Since he failed to take it, he joined the Serbs, who gave him some lands on the Bulgarian border, where he would often convict the poor peasants to death for not-too-big crimes, while he would sit there feasting, watching them get pushed off a cliff down to the river below and sarcastically shouting to them "Be careful not to wet your coat!" (like in here). But don't worry, those are more or less the only bad lords in the Bulgarian factions in 1200. It's not like we're trying to strengthen the stereotypes for the Balkans/Middle Ages or anything... :razz:

Cuthalion said:
Hidole555 said:
Fun Fact: The three helmets on the Coat of Arms were ordered on by the Welsh King after Ednyfed cut the heads off of three English lords in battle.
Quapitty is probably more into heraldics than I am but I admit I've never seen helmets on banners from the high middle ages. Hammers, yes, but no helmets, even if these don't appear to represent helmets in the heraldic sense if this little story is true.
To my knowledge helmets were pretty seldom used as a sign in the heraldry. But - there are very few COA with heads and hats and helmets obviously. Later on they became important elements above the heraldry. But sometimes (or most of the time) it is not so easy to find out which apearance a COA had around 1200. They were modernised like that 3 helmet heraldry. Or maybe even looked totaly different and a big story was made up to justify or mystify a clan and its COA. So - I don't know if the heraldry like that really existed... A good research would be necessary.
Two examples from German COA from the 13th century (the pictures are from a later date...)
Dobeneck-Wappen.png
Ketelhodt-Wappen.png

quapitty said:
Dear goodness, the Cylons went back in time (or, wait, ahead in time) and set a crusading Third Reich in the Middle Ages! (Sorry, I'm in a joking mood) :grin:

Edit: Oh, just found a modern photography pic, depicting Tsar Kaloyan (second pic). How do I know? I recognize the clothes he was buried in (because of the swastikas :razz:).

NikeBG said:
he would often convict the poor peasants to death for not-too-big crimes, while he would sit there feasting, watching them get pushed off a cliff down to the river below and sarcastically shouting to them "Be careful not to wet your coat!"

Something tells me he'd be one of the lords you start off with -3 relation.

:grin:

If you would like, I could present my own drawings for these crowns and model them with a little help.  This is just an idea I would really like to see done. I realize I may posted in the topic and I apologize.

I'm sorry to interrupt your super discussion guys, but everyone ignored my comment haha

I just want to update my 2nd post, please let me know
Also, do we have new scene props? if yes, who made them?

*EDIT: thanks Korinov

Daaamn! It seems we have a list of factions in 3 sticky threads. :razz:
Anyway - bump on that.

Nike had told me about lack of lamellar armors for Bulgaria (too much mail, too little lamellar was the problem iirc) so I've been working a bit lately towards fixing that. I'll show a pair of screenshots tomorrow  :wink:

NikeBG said:
Yaaaay!
And I see Galitsia has already been added, so yay again! :wink:

You mean Galich/Volyn? Oh man that's great, Can't wait to see it in game. Would you mind posting some pics here, e.g. the map. Or at least pm me

Added? Hmm, I've just started working on it, slowly for now. Don't get carried away all of a sudden  :mrgreen: I'll be posting the pics in a few minutes.

Ok, here they are.

o9RnS.png

As you can see, I've just retextured a native model. Left one is basically for noble troop tree, second one for lords... I suppose when Cèsar finishes the byzantine models then I'll give those to bulgarian lords, and the 'golden' one from here will be given to the higher tier of the noble tt.

Xanderman said:
I'm quite interested in this mod and I was wondering if you could implement siege equipment that you could use or manage during a siege of a city or town.
We will not implement siege equipment, because it would require a major game-coding skill that none of us have, unfortunatelly.

Back
Top Bottom