People still play online?

Users who are viewing this thread

PrinceNaga

Veteran
Hey, I am curious if people still play this game online numerously? I always wanted to join those tourneys that involve the masses of organized players, like an old tournament of mine WaW. I see videos by "Chadtopia", these groups playing Native, Napolean, Civil War, etc with 100 vs 100 it seems, amazing stuff. Anyone know if that is still active and where I could find it please? Thank you.

People still play online but i have no idea what you're talking about lel.

There's still competitive tournaments, duel tournaments and every now and then there's an rp shield battle event or two. There's also a death run tournament going on atm.

sotamursu123 said:
People still play online but i have no idea what you're talking about lel.

There's still competitive tournaments, duel tournaments and every now and then there's an rp shield battle event or two

Thanks for answering!

I meant this:

sotamursu123 said:
roleplaying, in this case, forming shield walls instead of playing the game freely.

Oh, I considered that to be organized teamplay, figure that was statistically superior than roaming around lol. Which one would you recommend mate?

PrinceNaga said:
sotamursu123 said:
roleplaying, in this case, forming shield walls instead of playing the game freely.
Oh, I considered that to be organized teamplay, figure that was statistically superior than roaming around lol. Which one would you recommend mate?
The competitive players in native see it as roleplay is because players are forced to use specific equipment and go around in lines for no real reason.
NW players seem to think that this is more effective than small unit tactics.
The fact is that this way of doing things does not really reflect how a group of competitive clans would fight against one another in native.

PrinceNaga said:
Hey, I am curious if people still play this game online numerously? I always wanted to join those tourneys that involve the masses of organized players, like an old tournament of mine WaW. I see videos by "Chadtopia", these groups playing Native, Napolean, Civil War, etc with 100 vs 100 it seems, amazing stuff. Anyone know if that is still active and where I could find it please? Thank you.

It all depends, usually over 2000 people play multiplayer daily (this is Native, NW and any mods) at the peak population. Linebattles, events happen daily, just depends on what you want. Native has a few battles happening that are organized events, NW has lots of linebattles of varying sizes, rules, use of maps, etc. Other mods, sometimes have things, but are more obscure, North and South has stuff still happen, etc.

Rallix said:
PrinceNaga said:
sotamursu123 said:
The competitive players in native see it as roleplay is because players are forced to use specific equipment and go around in lines for no real reason.
NW players seem to think that this is more effective than small unit tactics.
The fact is that this way of doing things does not really reflect how a group of competitive clans would fight against one another in native.

Yeah, there is a reason linebattles actually have rules about formations/tactics, because otherwise the team lining up would in most cases be massacred by the team that was allowed to use any tactics or formations.

The classic example in Warband is archers/cross-bowman, if you line your team up in one nice line any archer/cross-bowman will have a field day. Especially, if they can hit you from two different sides (i.e. even with a shield you can't defend), which is exactly the type of attack that most good teams try to set up in a match.

However, if you say "you have to follow these rules about formations and you can only attack in this way" then the matches that occur are in a sense very "artificial". Before anyone complains by artificial I mean that the type of combat that occurs in linebattles does not occur in native because it doesn't provide any real advantages, hence linebattles are not a dynamic form of combat in the grander sense.

In the end, teamwork and individual skill are the defining features of native matches.

Vikingr still hosts weekly shieldwall events as far as I understand it - never been my thing though.

Incidentally Vikingr is the only mod I've ever played in which player formations serve a genuine purpose.

HmGSV.png

:grin:

Makes me think why so many competitive clans participate in those events then. I still wanna do them though. Thanks for answering y'all.

Lily-Livered River Pirate said:
Vikingr still hosts weekly shieldwall events as far as I understand it - never been my thing though.

Incidentally Vikingr is the only mod I've ever played in which player formations serve a genuine purpose.

HmGSV.png

Yeah, Vikingr deserves major props for that.

It's the only multiplayer mod that changes the game itself to encourage formations/large group tactics.

Which is why it's so hilarious that the NW clans don't worship the mod and play it all the time instead of NW or even native.

Úlfheðinn said:
Lily-Livered River Pirate said:

HmGSV.png

Yeah, Vikingr deserves major props for that.

It's the only multiplayer mod that changes the game itself to encourage formations/large group tactics.

Which is why it's so hilarious that the NW clans don't worship the mod and play it all the time instead of NW or even native.
Cuz then they would have to L2Block

PrinceNaga said:
Makes me think why so many competitive clans participate in those events then. I still wanna do them though. Thanks for answering y'all.

Which competitive clans? o_O

Oh, you mean the ones who follow those 'don't shoot after charging' rules in NW... Right...

The clans that participate in shield battles etc. mostly are not competitive clans. I know Wolfpack sometimes participates them (I think?) so they're an exception.

Das Knecht said:
The clans that participate in shield battles etc. mostly are not competitive clans. I know Wolfpack sometimes participates them (I think?) so they're an exception.

We don't participate in this anymore as wolfpack, mostly when we do want to play this linebattle, we join the DarkClouds.

Back
Top Bottom