[Outdated] BRF Edit --out-of-date, see OpenBRF-- (last version 12/5/2008)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that pretty much covers it. I was wondering if it was safe to leave some skeletal references unused (to improve animation for a completely different mesh attached to the 2 currently possible skeletons), which doesn't pose a problem from what you're saying.

I have no experience with skeletal animation (and little enough with modelling for that matter), so this is all new to me. Just trying to get a feel for what is and isn't possible.

Well I've tested something without legs and here are the results (verbally as they are part of a project)

I tied the back half to bone 0 (I beleive it is bone 0 as it is the 'key' bone. Usually I'd say the pelvis as most animation centers around that) and the front half to bone 1 (the torso bone). it came it fine, and I was able to ride it. the only thing is that the both halves bounce (as the horse runs) and could look funny. If you tie every vertex to 0, the bounce would be uniform.

There are still some other things I want to test, but that's the start of it.

Also found something else out for the MAX users. if you set up polygon groups ( I sometimes do for ease of selection for smoothing groups or specialized UVW mappings) you need to put everything into one group before exporting. I beleive it was stated by Thor, but I didn't know what he ment in the context he used. (Not saying you said it wrong)

Any news on the vertex animations? I didn't realise that the hands use vertex animations... sucks cause I built a bit of a monster but I can't change the hands... :mad:

EDIT: you said you need an importer. I can help look if I know more details (can you tell I'm anxious?)

I haven't had a lot of time, but I have managed to export vertex animations to MD3 format, and get them into max. I'm currently playing with using VTA (what HL2 uses for facial animation etc) format for importing new animation data back into the editor, and am just having a few little issues with vertex normals. Once that is sorted out I’ll upload the new version (though it wont be till after work today at the earliest).

If you can find a VTA importer for 3ds max, then I think VTA is the way to go for exporting too, since MD3 is not quite as good (data is somewhat compressed and looses precision). The only issue with the current VTA exporter I have is that it only exports animation data, not the mesh itself. That means that it currently requires that you first import the mesh (from SMD or OBJ format) and then import the animation data over the model, so if anyone finds a VTA exporter that also exports mesh data (triangles) let me know.

BTW, has anyone noticed other meshes with vertex animation apart from hands, quivers and map icons? They will each currently need a template for defining the time between each frame (as that info cant be stored in MD3 or VTA as far as I know), so if anyone notices some others let me know about them too, thanks. :smile:

a request: Can someone use this vertex animation to create for me a replacement of the bold bag, it can be a little pouch and every state can be the same if you want.

hey thor i made a SMD in milkshape, but when i import it into brfedit it just closes right away. is there a problem with the mesh or something i need to do to make it work?

EDIT: Nevermind, when you export to SMD in milkshape it gives "reference" and "sequence" options, i just clicked ok because i don't know what those things mean, but you have to pick sequence.

Stupid error message said:
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Wtf?

Dreadus said:
Stupid error message said:
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Wtf?

Maybe ur dot net framework is corrupted,try reinstalling it.Does effidians editor also behave the same way?

I cant do the dot net framework. I try to install it, and it tells me to download something called "windows installer" first. I run "windows installer" and it says "warning: back up your system before running this."
So i think to myself, **** that ****.

Your.. Computer.. is.. screwed..
What version of Windows are you running?
By default, Microsoft installs Windows Installer, which is used in almost all Windows products..

*laughs* You may want to install that anyway, don't sue me if your computer smokes, but it could save you a heck of a lot of trouble afterwards.

Ancientwanker: The video requires the DivX codec (you can get it here)
Don't get your hopes up too much about the dragon though :razz:

Dreadus: Glad you got it sorted out :smile:

cotdamn: I'll try add some more warning messages when you import a file of the wrong type.

Anyone got some nice new animated meshes to show off yet? :razz:

I just finished some extravagant horse armour, but i need to skin it first.

Btw, what do you think the chances are of adding more bones to a certain mesh and animating them? not inerfering with the original skeletal structure...

Actually dreadus..... you may be onto something there!!

Great suggestion. Now you mention adding new bones.... it may just be possible to add new skeletons, by simply adding sets of bones to the current ones. Though it may significantly effect performance if you add too many bones to each skeleton... I'll do some experimenting.

With the current editor you can't, but if it works as I expect, then I'll add an option to import skeletons ASAP (though don't expect it for a week or 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom