Other games like Mount and Blade?

Users who are viewing this thread

I know how to trim sails, I'm a sailor myself. 

Actually, I always wanted a game which would be able to somehow capture the essence of naval battles in the age of sail, but it simply can not be done without the wind becoming crucial.  As far as I could tell from youtube, in this game it just isn't, but maybe I missed something.

In case I'm not wrong, I'm not surprised they didn't do it.  Game mechanics itself shouldn't be very difficult to do.  Sails could trim itself (you had crew and officers to do it), you just steer the ship and order the crew, or whatever.  The thing is that an average player would have serious difficulty understanding it all.  But damn me, I'd play the living hell out of a game like that!

But the wind direction is implemented in this game. It affects all combat maneuvers. It is not as important as the ship's hull and cannons, but it is there. Also diffrent type of ships have differant characteristics in the game. Some are faster when they follow the wind (square sails), others are faster against the wind and can sail at a more narrow angle (latin sails). Little sloops are more agile and maneuverable, and if you want to escape that fast frigate that is chasing you, you have to keep the wind in mind.

bakters said:
I'm a sailor myself.
That can be a problem. I am not sure I would've liked M&B if was a knight.  :wink: I can't promise you that you will like the game, but I can say this - 1) there in no better sailing simulator out there, 2) the feeling is remarkably similar to the M&B single player campaign.
How can you explain to somebody that have never played M&B how much better the fighting is, compared to other games? You can't. Just saying "directional block" won't help. He have to try it for himself and even then may not like it.

Thanks, I'll have a closer look at this title.  (BTW - I used to ride horses too.  It didn't spoil M&B for me.)

I'm currently working on a quirky 2d Co-op, dungeon crawler game called Kraden's Crypt that's inspired by mount and blade's mouse driven combat mechanics, although I use that loosely as we've tried some things of our own, but the mouse driven aspect of it I mean... it's pretty physics based and experimental. We'll be releasing a playable demo pretty soon. I'd love some feedback from mount and blade players as I think they understand how M&B put skill in melee combat... rather than the usual combo based button bashing.

I'm mostly interested in mount and blades combat system, but man a fully co-op campaign would be awesome! If only >n< I've played the battle time mod but It would be nice to be able to have two or more players dominate the map simultaneously :razz:

The only other game I've played that's kinda close is chivalry.

Pipulese said:
I'm currently working on a quirky 2d Co-op, dungeon crawler game called Kraden's Crypt that's inspired by mount and blade's mouse driven combat mechanics, although I use that loosely as we've tried some things of our own, but the mouse driven aspect of it I mean... it's pretty physics based and experimental. We'll be releasing a playable demo pretty soon. I'd love some feedback from mount and blade players as I think they understand how M&B put skill in melee combat... rather than the usual combo based button bashing.

I'm mostly interested in mount and blades combat system, but man a fully co-op campaign would be awesome! If only >n< I've played the battle time mod but It would be nice to be able to have two or more players dominate the map simultaneously :razz:

The only other game I've played that's kinda close is chivalry.

I'd be interested in giving it a test run.

Skyrim and Archeage. To be honest, I really can't think of any! :/

bakters said:
It might be a decent game, I don't know.  What I know is that authors are no sailors.  I mean, like really not at all.  You can't be a sailor and make flags show different wind than sails do.  Maybe at gun point...? :wink:

What?

Stay with me on this one as it's of a completely different theme and is still not released (but it is doing a non-steam Early Access type affair).

http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Starsector is nowhere near as complete as Warband in terms of sandbox activities out of the box. However there's already a thriving mod community that has added lots of extras to it (including more expansive system domination.

However at it's core, it feels like the same sort of experience to me. You have 2 main layers to the game.

[list type=decimal]
[*]Map stage:- You start off as a lone ship and can attack small enemy groups in order to earn money to be able to buy more ships/weapons and men to pilot said ships and/or to upgrade your own ship/weapons. As you progress you level up which awards bonuses that either make you more powerful, or help expand your fleet (army). As your army gets bigger, you need more resources to support it, but in turn can take on larger fleets in order to 'earn' more.
[*]Battle stage:- You take control of your own craft along with basic orders to control the rest of your fleet. It's an advanced top down battle system, which looks like a pretty version of 'Asteroids', which at a basic level it is. But the management of weapon groups and shield recharge, it's a very skill-based battle.
[/list]

So although this game is a very different theme, at it's heart it feels like the same style of game to me (there's reasons why I clearly enjoy them both). The only downside is it's still in development, so it doesn't have as much to do in the core game as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom