Other games like Mount and Blade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Caba`drin said:
Lord Silvabane said:
Wait for "War of the Roses". It looks just like M&B but with spectacular graphics and better multiplayer.
...did you read why the OP wanted a M&B like game? For sandbox singleplayer. War of the Roses is MP-only (or MP-heavy at the very least...and definitely not sandbox)
Well, whatever. It looks awesome.

Jesus YOUR LORD said:
Mount and Blade ruins all games with melee combat.  You'll have to wait for war of the roses or warband 2 before you can get your fix.  Skyrim is a fun distraction though I spent all my time wishing it had warbands melee combat system.  Medieval 2 Kingdoms mods "The Third Age" and "Call of Warhammer" were really nice mods which reinvigorated the total war series for me.

Warband 2?

Jesus YOUR LORD said:
Mount and Blade ruins all games with melee combat.  You'll have to wait for war of the roses or warband 2 before you can get your fix.  Skyrim is a fun distraction though I spent all my time wishing it had warbands melee combat system.

Hehe, that's all too familiar. I tried to like playing a melee char in Skyrim but it was just near impossible.

Yeah Skyrim is a great game but the combat feels really shallow and easy compared to Mount and Blade

New to Warband. Similarities are on a first-impression sort of basis.

- Space Rangers 2 would be my obvious suggestion. You don't really raise an army of your own, per se, but the world is dynamic in a very similar way to what I'm seeing in Warband.

- Darklands and Daggerfall are sort ofsimilar, but... Daggerfall doesn't really work very well, and Darklands kind of plays like M&B-lite as it is, so...

- Crusader Kings 1/2 plays differently but I could see it really appealing to an M&B player. It's more macro level, and it's not about amassing a personal army PER SE, but it's a grand strategy game that's very much character focused. EU: Rome Gold might be a good option as well, especially if you're playing as a Tribal government, where building up your own personal clout is more important.

- Destiny of an Emperor for the NES.

- Lords of Magic is a Heroes of Might and Magic/Age of Wonders style game, except it's considerably more sandboxy, and has a greater emphasis on diplomacy. Instead of having set mission goals (it does have story-driven campaigns too, mind!) the focus is more on developing a few central heroes and liberating the whole world.

- Going out on a limb with this one, but the Pikmin games -- especially 2 -- do have a similar vibe to them. RTS/Adventure Game hybrids, not exactly sandbox but definitely pretty open, and you build up a sizable army of...plants over time.

- The original Dune game might actually work as well, though I've never played it myself.

Two more I just thought of -- Jagged Alliance 2 and King's Bounty. Never played the latter, but if it really plays like a remake of the original KB, it'll be pretty close. JA2 has you building a smaller army of mercenaries, but the general gameplay progression is pretty similar.

also I guess Stalker: Clear Sky is pretty open ended and about building up your personal army of stalkers, but it's also apparently the weakest of that series. Might be better of looking for a free-play mod for Pripyat or Chernobyl.

MeshGearFox said:
Two more I just thought of -- Jagged Alliance 2 and King's Bounty. Never played the latter, but if it really plays like a remake of the original KB, it'll be pretty close. JA2 has you building a smaller army of mercenaries, but the general gameplay progression is pretty similar.

also I guess Stalker: Clear Sky is pretty open ended and about building up your personal army of stalkers, but it's also apparently the weakest of that series. Might be better of looking for a free-play mod for Pripyat or Chernobyl.

King's Bounty (Or at least Armored Princess) is essentially an extremely long Heroes of Might and Magic campaign and it makes no attempt to hide that. Between the highly story-based, linearized approach, the lack of army and recruit respawning and a clearly defined endgoal, it is as far from M&B's environ as can be.

Still a good game. Don't mind Amelia's armor though. Companies gotta market towards horny single young male, that's what.

MeshGearFox said:

They are turn based games. In JA2 no matter you do, in 90% cases you will be outnumbered: from the beginning of the game you will win if you deploy well your troops and use well covers. M&B has the real time action: if you are a brainless brute you can at least solo against small bandit groups, survive and make some money.

Argeus the Paladin said:
MeshGearFox said:

King's Bounty (Or at least Armored Princess) is essentially an extremely long Heroes of Might and Magic campaign and it makes no attempt to hide that. Between the highly story-based, linearized approach, the lack of army and recruit respawning and a clearly defined endgoal, it is as far from M&B's environ as can be.

Still a good game. Don't mind Amelia's armor though. Companies gotta market towards horny single young male, that's what.

I was focusing on the wandering-around-and-building-an-army and having a persistent character aspect that the OP was referring to, specifically.

Lord Silvabane said:
I've been watching somebody on Youtube called "Kootra" play Sid Meier's pirates, both games share a lot of similarities.

Sid Meiers games are sandbox like games they are for new comer gamers and kids, If you want real deal I can recommend Playing Mount and Blade at highest difficulty and Start as a low born person :wink:
Dragon age is wandering about building and army and building your character too :smile:

816m4n said:
Lord Silvabane said:
I've been watching somebody on Youtube called "Kootra" play Sid Meier's pirates, both games share a lot of similarities.

Sid Meiers games are sandbox like games they are for new comer gamers and kids, If you want real deal I can recommend Playing Mount and Blade at highest difficulty and Start as a low born person :wink:
Dragon age is wandering about building and army and building your character too :smile:
The Total War games have a lot in common with M&B.
I've been playing Empire recently and it's amazing.

Lord Silvabane said:
816m4n said:
Lord Silvabane said:

The Total War games have a lot in common with M&B.
I've been playing Empire recently and it's amazing.

Pretty much the only two games I've been playing for the past few years have been Mount and Blade and Medieval 2 Total War. Definitely 2 of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

actually... I saw something similar to mount and blade, It had the mount and blade gameplay style, first person and third person combat. Medieval, + mouse controlled blocks and swings like mount and blade. Updated graphics but only has multiplayer I think. Forgot what it's called but its in development, saw a trailer and gameplay. If you find it, say the name!

For roaming around a map building up strengths/gathering officers etc try age of pirates 2 with this mod

http://www.moddb.com/mods/city-of-abandoned-ships-combined-mods

I had a good amount of fun with it, totally fixes an otherwise buggy and dissapointing game

Back
Top Bottom