Origins of Scythians

Users who are viewing this thread

Merlkir said:
Someone like Círdan would explain it better, but I'll give it a shot.
I'm flattered, but it seems I am late answering summons. My demonic powers must be waning. Probably something to do with the removal of my bat-wings so I can fit in with humans.

All the evidence points to the Scythians being Indo-European, more exactly Indo-Iranian. As an aside, it doesn't really matter whether evidence is found that there once was an Indo-European tribe; all living males (and females, although this isn't directly genetically traceable) are descended from a single man (Y-chromosomal "Adam", although this is a stupid name, among other reasons because he was a very, very distant descendant of the mitochondrial "Eve") who is thought to have lived about 60,000 years ago. In this time period the descendants of this man not only evolved highly distinct cultures, but physically differentiated themselves to give rise to the full spectrum of contemporary humanity. Redheads, blonde blue-eyed Norwegians, gracile black-skinned Nilotes, stocky Bantus, Asiatics of all descriptions, all descend, not only from a single tribe or clan, but from a single man. If you go back far enough, everyone stems from the same group. Given the similarities in culture and language--the Indo-European, or Aryan, theory, originated when linguists discovered that many languages were related to Sanskrit--it seems blindingly obvious that at some point in the differentiation of human cultures, the ancestors of the peoples now described as Indo-European were in the same group while the ancestors of the Turco-Mongolian peoples were in another group. Which group turned left and which turned right is rather irrelevant.

To return to the Scythians, in the narrowest sense the word designates a group that inhabitated the Pontic steppes, in current day Russian and the Ukraine, between circa 700BCE and 100CE, prior to which they lived further east, near the present Russo-Mongolian border (the earliest Scythian finds are in the present-day Russian republic of Tyva, which border on Mongolia and East Turkestan). In the wider sense, Scythian designates a group of closely related Eurasian nomadic tribes, including the Scythians 'proper', the Sarmatians, the Massagetai and the Sakae (as an aside, Saka is the Persian term for the wider Scythian group, but was adopted by the Greeks and Romans only in reference to the Easternmost branches thereof), and possibly the Kimmerians. In a now defunct sense, the word was used by the Byzantines to designate Barbarian horsearchers. They could have said "Barbaroi Hippotoxotai", but "Skythikoi" was shorter. Earlier, the classical Greeks also sometimes used the term Scythian in a similar sense; Xenophon in a couple of instances uses "Skythikoi" to mean archers.

The difference between the various sub-groups of the Scythians in the wider sense appear to be fairly minor from a cultural and linguistic point of view; the replacement of the Scythians by the Sarmatians on the Pontic steppe appears to be mainly political, one tribal confederation supplanting another. For what he's worth, Herodotos makes it seem like the term Scythians (Skythikoi) derived from the name of the chief tribe of the confederation, at least in Herodotos' time. The Greco-Scythians were an offshoot of this first confederation, formed by Hellenised, sedentary Scythians towards the end of the Scythian confederation. The Greco-Scythians built cities and practised Greek-influenced crafts; they tried to bring the Greek colonies of the Black Sea into their kingdom. The Kimmerians were apparently an earlier tribe or confederation of similar peoples, which was replaced by the Scythians 'proper', however, there is little concrete evidence regarding the Kimmerian culture--a few given names, which appear to be Iranian, and a single incription in which Kimmerian is used as a Babylonian synonym of the Persian Saka (i.e. Scythian). For the Scythians themselves there is much more evidence, however, they are not exactly known for their extensive litterature so there is some controversy left. All (non-Turkish) scholars agree their language was Indo-European, but there is some debate about whether it was Iranian (this has the majority's preference) or Indo-Aryan, based on given names and a few common nouns. Most of the knowledge we have of them comes from their burials, which feature very Iranian-looking art at first, before showing a distinct Hellenic influence (or so claim the people who can distinguish artistic styles at a glance). In the earlier graves, it is quite common for women to be buried with their weapons, indicating that, at least among the aristocracy, it was normal for women to particpate in war. Later (IIRC 3rd century BCE) burials of female warriors become rare; this is associated with the sedentarisation of the Scythians and the development of agriculture, cities and more advanced crafts. Some of the Scythian tombs have preserved fragments of blonde and red hair, which seems hard to reconcile with a Turkic population.

The Sarmatians follow a similar pattern, coming in later and replacing the Scythians as the nomadic masters of the Pontic and Caspian steppes. They are rather better known as they fought against, traded with, and occasionally provided mercenaries to the Romans. There are no accounts of them showing Turkic physical features, and their language appears definitely Iranian. The legend of the difference between the Scythians and Sarmatians being down to the Amazons might stem from the coexistence at one time of Scythians, more advanced along the path of sedentary civilisation with clearly distinguished gender roles, and of Sarmatians with more primitive nomadic customs, including indistinct gender roles. Incidentally, the Paziryk excavations, which I believe have previously been mentioned, are attributed to the Sarmatians.

According to what I've read some time ago in wikipedia, in Scythian excavations, the frequency of Mongoloid people isnt zero. It's rare around Iran and Bactria but increases as you get closer to Mongolia.
And Turkic peoples of Central Asia and Siberia have more blondes and redheads than Iranians which I doubt they have any at all.

I'm not sure if you're talking about ancient or modern Iranians. But Iranians were known for having blonde/red hair. Even today you can find (somewhat rare) cases of blonde Iranians.

image051.jpg
image047.jpg

Wow is that girl really Iranian?
And what's with the osprey picture? Its just a drawing.
Anyway what happened to Iranians then? How did once blondes and redheads become arab like guys?

That girl is indeed Iranian. The Osprey picture has a guy with a blonde beard so. The point is - the Iranians used to look much more "european" than we think.
As for:
How did once blondes and redheads become arab like guys?

To be fair, not all Iranians were blond, many had dark hair and eyes.
One more picture - a roman source this time. Persians as the Three Wise Men:

image049.jpg

The key word is "diversity".

The cultural and linguistic legacy of the Indo-European or “Aryan” arrivals on the Iranian plateau since at least the 2nd millennium BC continues to resonate in modern Iran, and in Iranian speaking Kurds in the Near East as well as the Caucasus and Central Asia. Please note that I use the word “Aryan” with considerable caution here, as we are referring to the Old Iranian from “Airya” and/or “Eire” which loosely means “Lord” or “freeman” – the closest European equivalent is the Irish word “Eire”.

However what makes Iran unique on the world stage of history is the fact that Iran is the world’s oldest multi-ethnic and multi-language nation in history.  Before the Indo-European arrivals, Iran was already host to a vibrant Elamite civilization to the southwest as well as Manneans and Hurrians to the northwest and west. These peoples fused their culture with the incoming Iranian speaking Indo-Europeans – Iran has been a evolving  tapestry of peoples ever since. In any of Iran’s cities one can find an array of faces and languages – from Turkish in the northwest to Arabic in south.  There are Iranians of African descent as well, these being partly descended from Ethiopians who were settled along Iran’s Persian Gulf coast during the Achaemenid era.

Genetic researchers have conducted a number of detailed genetic studies on Iran, the Caucasus as well as the Near East.  One example is a recent study by Professor Martin Richards and 26 other researchers who conducted a thorough genetic analysis of Turks, Arabs, and Iranians.  The latter focused mainly on Iranian-speaking Kurds (mainly descendants of the Medes) and the mainly Turkish speaking Azerbaijanis of Iran (themselves descendants of the Media Atropatene – one of the ancient homes of the aforementioned Zoroastrian religion). There was also a large sample of Ossetians in the study; Ossetians speak variations of the Old Iranian Avestan language (the basis of many of the old Zoroastrian hymns). Armenians were also studied.

Put simply, the results show a very high incidence of U5 lineages – genes common among modern Europeans as a whole. The results are aptly summarized as such:

“…many Armenian and Azeri types are derived from European and northern Caucasian types (p.1263)…The U5 cluster… in Europe… although rare elsewhere in the Near east, are especially concentrated in the Kurds, Armenians and Azeris…a hint of partial European ancestry for these populations – not entirely unexpected on historical and linguistic grounds (p.1264)”

[Richards et al., (2000). Tracing European founder lineages in the Near Eastern mtDNA pool. American Journal of Human Genetics, 67, p.1263-1264, 2000]

(from an article by Dr. Kaveh Farrokh. He's very upset about Iranians being portrayed as Arabs and he kinda has a point there.)

http://www.ghandchi.com/iranscope/Anthology/KavehFarrokh/300/index.htm

found another one - red/brown haired woman with green eyes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Girl_in_a_Kabul_orphanage%2C_01-07-2002.jpg

Iranian boy:
bloneIran.jpg

There are also people like the Kalash. Some believe they have some Greek influence, if I remember correctly, most scientists agree that these people living in Pakistan and Afghanistan are of I-E origin with a strong Iranian influence.

Young_Kalsh_Boy.jpg
truthseeker-albums-images-posting-picture599-blonde-kalash-girl.jpg

So how does one explain Iranian people's current appearance? How did they become a cross between Caucasian and Indian?
I believe today's Iranians resemble the original Iranians, the people before the Aryan invasion. Aryans had strong Europoid features and they had an impact on Iranian society but later they too melded into native Iranians.

Do you guys think Aryans of steppes and Altai range mixed with Turks at all?

has ever heard of batu (khan) benig red-haired, anyone? the guy I've heard that from said it's stated in some soviet historian's work (may be Yan's novel??).. All this seems some political *****ing anyway, it's areally surprise for me that turks claim scythians to be turkish :razz: and now i checked wikipedia, they say kipchaks were turks also, but from school i remember them as being european-looking ;/

Cumans Etymology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polovtsy)

Another explanation is a combination of the words "Qu" or "Ku" (bright) and "Saq" (ethnonym, probably Sakae/Scythian).[1][citation needed]

"Cumans (Byzantine Greek: Κο(υ)μάνοι, Ko(u)manoi;[1] Hungarian: kun / plural kunok;[2] Turkic: kuman / plural kumanlar[3]) were a nomadic Turkic people who inhabited a shifting area north of the Black Sea known as Cumania along the Volga River. They eventually settled to the west of the Black Sea, influencing the politics of Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary, Moldavia, and Wallachia. Cuman is an exonym for the western Kipchak tribes living in Central Europe and the Balkans."

and also there

The Russian word "polovtsy" (Пóловцы) has many different explanations. The most common is that it means "blonde" since the old Russian word "polovo" means "straw". The German word for Cumans was "Folban" (blonde). Another explanation was given by O. Suleymenov as "men of the field, steppe" from the Russian word "pole" - open ground, field, not to be confused with "polyane" (from Greek "polis" - city). A third explanation of the word was also made by O. Suleymenov which stated that the name "polovtsy" came from a word for "blue-eyed," since the Serbo-Croatian word "plav" literally means "blue".[citation needed]

what's the point? As we know rus princes married cuman nobles, and prince Andrei Bogolyubsky skull structure checks (1981, Zvyagin) proved they had 1 may-be-mongoloid features (out of 39) which is throughoutly unsignificant

where's the truth?

Kipchaks and Cumans were Turkic, they were the remnants of Western Göktürk Empire. Them being Turkic is the only explanation for Crimean and Kazan Tatars and Gagauz people.

Allegro said:
Kipchaks and Cumans were Turkic, they were the remnants of Western Göktürk Empire. Them being Turkic is the only explanation for Crimean and Kazan Tatars and Gagauz people.

Really? What about the Golden Horde?

I've found I have mixed appearance with the language problem.. noone says they can't be european and speak turkic

Allegro said:
And Turkic peoples of Central Asia and Siberia have more blondes and redheads than Iranians which I doubt they have any at all.
Hmm, Ahmadinejad isn't typical of modern Iranians, you know.

Allegro said:
So how does one explain Iranian people's current appearance? How did they become a cross between Caucasian and Indian?
I'd say 900 years of occupation by Arab-, Turk-, and Mongol-dominated states led to an admission of non-Indo-European genes.

Do you guys think Aryans of steppes and Altai range mixed with Turks at all?
Probably. Modern Tajiks with Mongoloid features are far from unknown, so I don't see why that couldn't have been the case in ancient and medieval times. Additionally, you already know that the Turks of Turkey have mixed in with the previous populations to the point where their Mongoloïd phenotype has been almost entirely lost :wink:

Cirdan said:
No I dont. I dont know what type of appearance is common in Iran. But I would think they mostly look like Kurdish, Turkish and Lebanese. And there are some Indian looking guys but I dont remember who they are.

Cirdan said:
I'd say 900 years of occupation by Arab-, Turk-, and Mongol-dominated states led to an admission of non-Indo-European genes.
Well Turks and Mongols wouldnt help Iranians look like Ahmedinejad. Maybe Arabs, but then whatever they've done they must have done it fast. I had heard about Arabs colonizin Central Asia and Iran during the conquest.
As I've said, it wouldnt be a surprise to me if Ahmedinejad type appearance was common in Iran, they are between India and Middle East you know.

Allegro said:
Cirdan said:
No I dont. I dont know what type of appearance is common in Iran. But I would think they mostly look like Kurdish, Turkish and Lebanese. And there are some Indian looking guys but I dont remember who they are.
Well, Kurds are an Iranian people, but few Iranians (Khuzestan Arabs set aside) look like Levantines (although Levantines do tend to be the tallest Arabs). Turks (from Turkey) look more or less Mediterranean (IIRC), which many Iranians do as well,though there are also plenty of blonde types, like Merlkir pointed out. In moder Iran people run through quite a wide spectrum of appearances, but Ahmadinejad is on the short and dark end of it.

Hello this is my first post.

But the Scythians are not Turkic in origin.They are Iranic (Iranian)

This may be a side of Iran many of you do not know for what ever reason.Since the image portrayed of the Iranian people are of one man.The current President.

2201308715_3716844f6d_o_d.jpg

The Scythians (Saka) portrayed at Persepolis.The ancient Iranian capital.
sakas_persepolis.jpg

The Persians are disliked in the Arabic world.Mainly because they are Shiite Muslim and of non Arabic ancestry.They are currently trying to gain dominance in the Muslim world.

b9hzib.jpg

a2b76dm1.jpg

n500930803_1014976_6983.jpg

persianaryanlv7.png

l_2f2e350bd79e994c26c66ce4372e7d84.jpg

l_376a6e528c21a9c5884fdcf37ad40846.jpg

clip6pg.jpg

persiantt2.jpg

939ef790.jpg

dc4071d6.jpg

287l.jpg

zji7pe.jpg

khazar_masumi_aminmohammadi_30nema_3_623.jpg

Why didn't you research it before asking :smile:
It has been proved years ago by genealogists that Scythians are Turks. (by the same Russia that made up the theory that they were Iranian without any evidence. (nice one Stalin! LOL If you desperately wanted Turks to forget they were Turks, you could have just given some Russian Vodka to them. I even would have volunteered. FOR FREE! :smile:)

http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turkic/64_Pazyryk/PazyrykTurCraniologyEn.htm
http://e-lib.gasu.ru/da/archive/2003/10/14.html

Not that a genetic research was necessary but unfortunately people don't know enough about Turk culture and language, so it is always surprising to them. They always want genetic proof. I don't understand why they simply don't read.

"Everything" about Scythian culture points to Turk origin without even thinking twice.

This might prove an interesting reading for my Iranian friend:  http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turkic/27_Scythians/EthnicRootsEn.htm

And here is how Iranians were fooled into claiming Scythian heritage: http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turkic/27_Scythians/OssetianLanguageAbaev.htm

A very nice 41 page article. You should definitely read it if you want to understand many things about world languages and human species.
http://www.astroset.com/bireysel_gelisim/ancient/a1.htm

The following are some articles if you combine pictures and details with the article above using your deduction skills (you should learn about Ok, As, Tur, and thamgas) everything would become clear for everyone interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurgan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pazyryk_burials
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukok_Plateau (Uç Ok)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimea
http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turkic/btn_Archeology/Kurgan_CultureEn.htm
http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turkic/51Adji/TengriAdjiEn.htm  full book here ==> see next line
http://adji.ru/book11_1.html  The Kipchaks  (very important information) (among loads of mistakes)
http://adji.ru/book12_1.html  The Kipchaks and The Oguz
http://adji.ru/book10_1.html  Asia's Europe Volume 1

My last word on this subject is that to understand our world's culture, history and why we are like this perfectly, you definitely have to learn Turkish (you will automatically gain the ability learn most languages spoken in Middle Asia) and you'll find yourself in another dimension and pity the time you believed what you were taught.

Aryan said:
Hello this is my first post.

But the Scythians are not Turkic in origin.They are Iranic (Iranian)

This may be a side of Iran many of you do not know for what ever reason.Since the image portrayed of the Iranian people are of one man.The current President.

I just wanted to remind you that at least 25% of Iran is Turkic. Probably more like %40
Persification is normal in a country where Persians are dominant.

Do you know what exactly happened after the Russo Iran war? Do you especially know what happened to Azerbaijan and how and why Iran went theocratic?
The great song "The Wall Part2 (We Don't Need No Education)" by Pink Floyd have all the answers we need.

Dude what the hell, Scythians were Europoid while early Turks were Mongoloid. And Turkish has nothing to do with Middle Eastern languages, seriously what the **** are you on?

Back
Top Bottom